LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

CV angles
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27679
Page 1 of 1

Author:  jason thompson [ Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:16 am ]
Post subject:  CV angles

I know that this is a "hot topic" from time to time but I was looking at the KJ on flat ground and our CV's
are darn near perfect ,horizontal that is
we run OME lift and 245/75's so I know we have at least 1.5" over stock and we have very little if any rake
the question is if they come from the factory 1.5" lower than what I am now then that would put the outer end lower
than the inner end relative to 1.5" so if I add another 1-1.5" I would put the outer end 1.5" lower than the inner end but still have factory angle?
does that sound right?

easier version
stock = outer end of CV shaft is X" higher than inner end of shaft ,stock angle
OME coils = shaft is parallel to ground or 90* to tire
OME + Y" of lift = shaft back to factory angle but now outer is lower than inner


I know that too much angle on a CV joint causes premature wear
I want more lift for the KJ
If the KJ's CV was at X angle stock it should not matter what end is higher as it rotates 360* all the time
so if it put it back to that angle ,what ever it is, I should be fine ,till some thing else breaks
Do I put WAY to much thought in to things?
would an alum. spacer ring under the front spring inside the strut be an issue ,besides ball joint contact?
I am thinking about a 1/2" spacer not a 1" spacer ,just a little more
I would put it under the rubber pad right on the strut ,kinda like what the frankie has but alum.
because I can get it laser cut and cheep to free

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:20 am ]
Post subject: 

When they designed the kj's suspension, they made it so the cv's would be level at all times. They then lowered them by .75" which put the cv's pointing upwards.

With that said, when I had the OME lift, they were SLIGHTLY downward. Now with the Rustys lift they look like this:

Image

Eddo and I compared our lifts and it seems that his Jeep is around 1" higher than mine. He has the Franken lift.

I wouldnt worry about the cv's at all if your just going 1/2" higher.

Author:  tommudd [ Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:54 am ]
Post subject: 

mine look about like jeepsters well with a little bit more angle than his, but come about the middle of next month I am going to do some experimenting with some parts I have gathered together. I am adding a top plate, (tearing apart an OTT that came with the used ARB bumper ) plus some other things thats laying around in the garage to gain about 1/2 to 3/4 inch or more! Hope Sean 150 and jerbacher dont say what all is laying in boxes! :lol: :lol:

I dont think that what you want to do Jason that its going to cause any problems esp. if yours are just having a little angle now. So why aluminum spacer????

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:09 am ]
Post subject: 

tommudd wrote:
So why aluminum spacer????


Save weight? :lol: :)

Author:  tommudd [ Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:17 am ]
Post subject: 

OK OK OK Blake so using an aluminum spacer on a KJ will be great...... think of all the weight he will save , wow I feel so stupid for not thinking about that since everything we do to them is weight saving and better mileage.............
....................and .................

now back to our regular programming..................... :roll:

:lol: :lol:
Tom

Author:  Dje Ryu [ Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:51 am ]
Post subject: 

I've heard that it's fairly easy to cut with the laser that he's referring to. And his buddy probably has enough of it lying around his machine in scrap to make them already. :D

Author:  jason thompson [ Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dje Ryu wrote:
I've heard that it's fairly easy to cut with the laser that he's referring to. And his buddy probably has enough of it lying around his machine in scrap to make them already. :D



correct
I do business with a place that cuts alum. to spec so all I need is the spec

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/