It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 500-600$ Winches
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:44 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:17 pm
Posts: 382
well now that I have the detours in place and am happy with it ... going to work on installing some lizard skinks when they get in .. have all the mopar skids ... I need to think about a winch ...

any recommendations on a 5-600 winch that would work well for pulling out stuck Liberty's and like sized vehicles?

I'd also like to get some synth winch line .. a nice cover for the winch .. ( possible to get any "locking" type bolts for mounting?)

also any recommendations for accessories? like treesaver and other gear and such?

I do have a recovery strap 20", but I do know I will probably be needing other accessories as well.

I'm thinking a D ring shackle for the hitch ... maybe a longer recovery strap (30" 30,000 lbs?)

and the 5-600 would be winch only ... I can pick up the other stuff ( accessories and synth line) later

_________________
2005 CRD Limited
added Mopar plates, snow, mud
Detours backbone (w/lp8500)
Skink super sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:50 pm 
Offline
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:51 pm
Posts: 2202
Location: Fall River,MA
I've seen a 9,000 Taber ( MADE BY WARN) in action & it did extremely well, those are in your price range

_________________
PETE
ADMINISTRATOR
L.O.S.T. 4 LIFE
04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:14 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
I just bought the M8000 warn. waiting to install still but came highly recomended.

Rule of thumb is GVW x 1.30 = Winch capacity or something like that.

You can get a M8000 for 516.00 and free shipping from WinchDepot.com

The Tabors are OK but they are not as tough as the Warn brands even though they are made by warn.

Troy advised me against the Tabor. If you get a M8000, you will need a snatch block to help increase the pulling capacity. Almost doubles it.

Tree Strap, D shackles, all kinds of fun stuff.

What kind of bumper do you have? do you plan to use a receiver hitch mount? They are handy, but only for straight on pulls. Angles will greatly increase the risk of mount failure, and thus increase the danger factor.

Get an arb, mount the M8000 inside the bumper, no need for security bolts, get synthetic line, cut the weight in half.

Good luck.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:17 pm
Posts: 382
I've got the detours winch mount .. trying to save all kinds of weight if I can ( already have the CRD ... a bit heavier in front)

so in front .. I'll have the winch ... in the back I have a receiver if I need to put a hitch mount d shackle in there.

_________________
2005 CRD Limited
added Mopar plates, snow, mud
Detours backbone (w/lp8500)
Skink super sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:25 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
The detours is the "Frame" only mount?

Correct?

I would still go with the M8000, and avoid the Tabor.

516.00 free shipping, can't beat it

http://www.winchdepot.com/PDT57613.aspx

that is what is in my garage waiting for some time and a couple more necessities to mount in my ARB.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:17 pm
Posts: 382
not sure what you mean by "frame only"

its a small process to install it ... it mounts to points on the unibody and body .. more than what the tow hooks do .. its really very sturdy.

what do you think of this

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-09032- ... 033&sr=8-2

I've heard some good reviews about the ep9.0

_________________
2005 CRD Limited
added Mopar plates, snow, mud
Detours backbone (w/lp8500)
Skink super sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
No personal experience with a superwinch. I know Mile Marker Hydraulics are some of the best on the market. Warn is another top brand, both Hyd. and electric. Other's will have to weigh in on Superwinch.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Beavercreek, OH (Dayton)
I plan to get a Bulldog Winch. By the time you pay for the winch and the mount, you'll be at $600...

http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=4058

and I've had these guys on the phone for presales support - very helpful.

_________________
+
My opinions & advice are taken at your own risk.
+
2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
Who makes BullDogs?

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:07 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Beavercreek, OH (Dayton)
WoodysKJ wrote:
Who makes BullDogs?


BullDog. I think they are in AZ. Anyways, I'd rather support a small US company than a large multinational...


http://www.bulldogwinch.com/

_________________
+
My opinions & advice are taken at your own risk.
+
2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
I understand, but I'd rather have a winch that supports me. Survival of the fittest and looking out for #1.

My safety and My needs for a tested proven piece of machinery that is made in Oregon by the way, is more important than supporting somebody else. JMHO


Good luck.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Beavercreek, OH (Dayton)
WoodysKJ wrote:
I understand, but I'd rather have a winch that supports me. Survival of the fittest and looking out for #1.

My safety and My needs for a tested proven piece of machinery that is made in Oregon by the way, is more important than supporting somebody else. JMHO


Good luck.


When they can get me an 8k# for under $500, I'll look at them. As long as I can buy USA and be under $500, I'm happy.

_________________
+
My opinions & advice are taken at your own risk.
+
2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:52 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Atlanta, GA
moose wrote:

When they can get me an 8k# for under $500, I'll look at them. As long as I can buy USA and be under $500, I'm happy.


What about a Superwinch LP8500?

http://www.superwinch.com/LP8500_8_500_lbs.html

Rusty's has them listed for $399:

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... ry_Code=sw

OK4WD has them for $365:
http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/ ... ric_winch/

_________________
Colin
LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:08 pm
Posts: 512
Location: Fort Mcmurray, Alberta
Read some reviews on the warn M8000. As you will hear it is a very reliable and durable winch and you can find them all over the net for the low to mid $500.00 price range. Also you get a decent warranty!! If your going to spend that amount of $$$ make sure it is one that is going to work when you need it!






Josh

_________________
**REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A HUMMER IN A JEEP.... YOU CAN'T GET A JEEP IN A HUMMER**
2003 Jeep Liberty(KJ) Renegade,235/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors 245/75/16 MTR's,Factory Skids, Selec-Trac,trac lock,Husky Floor Liners,OME Lift,948 rear/926 front,Rusty's strut plate,clevis 2.5 "s, Al's UCA's Gen 4.5.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:32 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
renegadekj wrote:
Read some reviews on the warn M8000. As you will hear it is a very reliable and durable winch and you can find them all over the net for the low to mid $500.00 price range. Also you get a decent warranty!! If your going to spend that amount of $$$ make sure it is one that is going to work when you need it!

Josh



X2, Dito and all that stuff.....

More important than saving a couple of bucks.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:51 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
I can understand the reason for not wanting to pay very much for something like a winch that you may not use very much,or at all.

But also think that $300 winch mounted on your KJ for years and never used,will it work when you do need it?
I know a WARN will,that's why I dished out a $1000 for a WARN 9500XP,a very strong and fast winch that has proven to last and be very reliable over time.The M8000 is also a outstanding winch but to small for my KJ.I would rather spend $500 or a $1000 for something I may only use once in 10 years,even when cheaper version are out there,and have it work like it is supposed to.





I have used my winch about 15 times,can tell you it will pull a F-250 crew cab out of 4" of mud with no problems,it also pulled my KJ out of the same mud hole with ease,very fast under max load.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:38 pm 
Offline
Got Groceries?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: ORANGE BEACH, AL.
The Warn M8000 Is awesome. I have one and got a great deal from 4wheelparts ( roller fairlead, 30' 10,000lb tow strap, and receiever hook with free shipping all for 449.00). I have pulled out myself and many others over 30 times and Its never had a problem.

As for accessories, get a good tow strap, a tree saver, turning block (snatch block/pulley) for when you need to do a tight winching manuver or some more pulling power, and a big shackle to connect it all.

_________________
2003 limited 3.7L V6
Vader Edition

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:55 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Beavercreek, OH (Dayton)
I'm not into the cheap Chineese winches, I just think that a small winch company can produce a good winch too. To each there own.

_________________
+
My opinions & advice are taken at your own risk.
+
2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:49 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Great discussions here. I guess I’m still trying to decide whether to go with a mounted or hitch type winch. There aren’t too many winch mount bumpers available.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:31 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1557
Location: Louisville, KY
You are limited to your mounting options. Bumpers like the ARB and I think the TR. Good solid platforms. Allow for angled pulls and also some anti theft help.

The winch/hitch mounting is also good for security and for the flexibility of using on front or back. BUT it is VERY much limited on angle pulls. Almsot a straight 90 degree pull only for those mounts.

The reason I went for the M8000 is simple the best I could afford. It is not as fast as the 9000XP, but is one of the most widely used offroad self recovery electric winches. VERY dependable. I would much rather have a Hydraulic, but the M8000 is a great choice. By using a snatch block I can increase it's pulling capacity. Just hope I have the line length and anchor to be able to use a snatch block.

_________________
'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com