LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

500-600$ Winches
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30646
Page 1 of 2

Author:  bbo [ Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:44 pm ]
Post subject:  500-600$ Winches

well now that I have the detours in place and am happy with it ... going to work on installing some lizard skinks when they get in .. have all the mopar skids ... I need to think about a winch ...

any recommendations on a 5-600 winch that would work well for pulling out stuck Liberty's and like sized vehicles?

I'd also like to get some synth winch line .. a nice cover for the winch .. ( possible to get any "locking" type bolts for mounting?)

also any recommendations for accessories? like treesaver and other gear and such?

I do have a recovery strap 20", but I do know I will probably be needing other accessories as well.

I'm thinking a D ring shackle for the hitch ... maybe a longer recovery strap (30" 30,000 lbs?)

and the 5-600 would be winch only ... I can pick up the other stuff ( accessories and synth line) later

Author:  raceinfan [ Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've seen a 9,000 Taber ( MADE BY WARN) in action & it did extremely well, those are in your price range

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

I just bought the M8000 warn. waiting to install still but came highly recomended.

Rule of thumb is GVW x 1.30 = Winch capacity or something like that.

You can get a M8000 for 516.00 and free shipping from WinchDepot.com

The Tabors are OK but they are not as tough as the Warn brands even though they are made by warn.

Troy advised me against the Tabor. If you get a M8000, you will need a snatch block to help increase the pulling capacity. Almost doubles it.

Tree Strap, D shackles, all kinds of fun stuff.

What kind of bumper do you have? do you plan to use a receiver hitch mount? They are handy, but only for straight on pulls. Angles will greatly increase the risk of mount failure, and thus increase the danger factor.

Get an arb, mount the M8000 inside the bumper, no need for security bolts, get synthetic line, cut the weight in half.

Good luck.

Author:  bbo [ Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've got the detours winch mount .. trying to save all kinds of weight if I can ( already have the CRD ... a bit heavier in front)

so in front .. I'll have the winch ... in the back I have a receiver if I need to put a hitch mount d shackle in there.

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

The detours is the "Frame" only mount?

Correct?

I would still go with the M8000, and avoid the Tabor.

516.00 free shipping, can't beat it

http://www.winchdepot.com/PDT57613.aspx

that is what is in my garage waiting for some time and a couple more necessities to mount in my ARB.

Author:  bbo [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

not sure what you mean by "frame only"

its a small process to install it ... it mounts to points on the unibody and body .. more than what the tow hooks do .. its really very sturdy.

what do you think of this

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-09032- ... 033&sr=8-2

I've heard some good reviews about the ep9.0

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

No personal experience with a superwinch. I know Mile Marker Hydraulics are some of the best on the market. Warn is another top brand, both Hyd. and electric. Other's will have to weigh in on Superwinch.

Author:  moose [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

I plan to get a Bulldog Winch. By the time you pay for the winch and the mount, you'll be at $600...

http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=4058

and I've had these guys on the phone for presales support - very helpful.

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Who makes BullDogs?

Author:  moose [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

WoodysKJ wrote:
Who makes BullDogs?


BullDog. I think they are in AZ. Anyways, I'd rather support a small US company than a large multinational...


http://www.bulldogwinch.com/

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

I understand, but I'd rather have a winch that supports me. Survival of the fittest and looking out for #1.

My safety and My needs for a tested proven piece of machinery that is made in Oregon by the way, is more important than supporting somebody else. JMHO


Good luck.

Author:  moose [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

WoodysKJ wrote:
I understand, but I'd rather have a winch that supports me. Survival of the fittest and looking out for #1.

My safety and My needs for a tested proven piece of machinery that is made in Oregon by the way, is more important than supporting somebody else. JMHO


Good luck.


When they can get me an 8k# for under $500, I'll look at them. As long as I can buy USA and be under $500, I'm happy.

Author:  Cobalt-60 [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

moose wrote:

When they can get me an 8k# for under $500, I'll look at them. As long as I can buy USA and be under $500, I'm happy.


What about a Superwinch LP8500?

http://www.superwinch.com/LP8500_8_500_lbs.html

Rusty's has them listed for $399:

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... ry_Code=sw

OK4WD has them for $365:
http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/ ... ric_winch/

Author:  renegadekj [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Read some reviews on the warn M8000. As you will hear it is a very reliable and durable winch and you can find them all over the net for the low to mid $500.00 price range. Also you get a decent warranty!! If your going to spend that amount of $$$ make sure it is one that is going to work when you need it!






Josh

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

renegadekj wrote:
Read some reviews on the warn M8000. As you will hear it is a very reliable and durable winch and you can find them all over the net for the low to mid $500.00 price range. Also you get a decent warranty!! If your going to spend that amount of $$$ make sure it is one that is going to work when you need it!

Josh



X2, Dito and all that stuff.....

More important than saving a couple of bucks.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

I can understand the reason for not wanting to pay very much for something like a winch that you may not use very much,or at all.

But also think that $300 winch mounted on your KJ for years and never used,will it work when you do need it?
I know a WARN will,that's why I dished out a $1000 for a WARN 9500XP,a very strong and fast winch that has proven to last and be very reliable over time.The M8000 is also a outstanding winch but to small for my KJ.I would rather spend $500 or a $1000 for something I may only use once in 10 years,even when cheaper version are out there,and have it work like it is supposed to.





I have used my winch about 15 times,can tell you it will pull a F-250 crew cab out of 4" of mud with no problems,it also pulled my KJ out of the same mud hole with ease,very fast under max load.

Author:  Hood297 [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

The Warn M8000 Is awesome. I have one and got a great deal from 4wheelparts ( roller fairlead, 30' 10,000lb tow strap, and receiever hook with free shipping all for 449.00). I have pulled out myself and many others over 30 times and Its never had a problem.

As for accessories, get a good tow strap, a tree saver, turning block (snatch block/pulley) for when you need to do a tight winching manuver or some more pulling power, and a big shackle to connect it all.

Author:  moose [ Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm not into the cheap Chineese winches, I just think that a small winch company can produce a good winch too. To each there own.

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:49 am ]
Post subject: 

Great discussions here. I guess I’m still trying to decide whether to go with a mounted or hitch type winch. There aren’t too many winch mount bumpers available.

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:31 am ]
Post subject: 

You are limited to your mounting options. Bumpers like the ARB and I think the TR. Good solid platforms. Allow for angled pulls and also some anti theft help.

The winch/hitch mounting is also good for security and for the flexibility of using on front or back. BUT it is VERY much limited on angle pulls. Almsot a straight 90 degree pull only for those mounts.

The reason I went for the M8000 is simple the best I could afford. It is not as fast as the 9000XP, but is one of the most widely used offroad self recovery electric winches. VERY dependable. I would much rather have a Hydraulic, but the M8000 is a great choice. By using a snatch block I can increase it's pulling capacity. Just hope I have the line length and anchor to be able to use a snatch block.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/