| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| overcompressed? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37455 |
Page 1 of 8 |
| Author: | Hood297 [ Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | overcompressed? |
ok, let this be a warning to all to avoid Rough Country and all similar junk lifts. I think my front springs look over compressed. These are CRD springs on my gasser. I know if i got OME 790 it would take the weight, but would the lift design do the same it did to this spring over time? I want to be reasonable on fixing this, I would like to switch to a frankenlift (pref.used) in the front. what all do i need other than new springs? I can get a set of daystar spacers used from someone on the site. here is a picture of my front end, sitting in a level garage, unloaded.
|
|
| Author: | Jeep4me99 [ Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
they do look pretty compressed. the rough country goes under the spring right? hmmmmmm |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yep you are at the stage called "stacking" and is caused by to much preload. |
|
| Author: | Hood297 [ Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Jeep4me99 wrote: they do look pretty compressed. the rough country goes under the spring right? hmmmmmm
yes, it is a billet aluminum strut spacer. Notice in between strut and fork in first pic. |
|
| Author: | 2006 KJ [ Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hood297 wrote: tjkj2002 wrote: Yep you are at the stage called "stacking" and is caused by to much preload.[/quote so... OME 970's? Frankenlift with CRD springs? franky with 970's? other options? I'm going to put the OME790 springs (HD CRD springs) in my frankenlift... keeping the spacer and daystar top plate that came with the gasser frankenlift. now.. the CRD frankenlift uses just the OME790 spring.. you could do this... and probably be very happy with it... but i'm greedy for height.. and see no reason why my set up with the CRD springs wont work. Allj's says it's impossible to assemble it with the CRD springs in a gasser frankenlift.. but stupid me doesnt believe them and i need to find out for myself.. we have a beefy wall mounted spring compressor so i'm sure i can assemble them.. In short.. if you buy new struts (dont know if you have stock ones still)... use them.. OME790 springs.. and your stock mopar front isolators and top plate you will have a CRD frankenlift.. i assume this is enough to hold up your bumper and winch.. KJ04 is running this set up and likes it a lot. OR Wait to see if my set up works.. if it does feel free to copy. I will know shortly. Ordered the springs 2 weeks ago tomorrow so THEY BETTER BE HERE! |
|
| Author: | Hood297 [ Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
[quote="tjkj2002"]Yep you are at the stage called "stacking" and is caused by to much preload.[/quote so... OME 970's? Frankenlift with CRD springs? franky with 970's? other options? |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Sport wrote: tjkj2002 wrote: Yep you are at the stage called "stacking" and is caused by to much preload. what does preload mean? in a short sentence ,it is putting too much stuff in a small place sort of. For example when you do a Daystar lift you are taking the stock setup apart and adding a spacer to it, this gives you extra heighth but also it pushes the spring down more " preloading it. There is only so much room in there and with adding the spacer it takes up some of that room and like I said before I guess preloads it, after so long it will take the tension out of the spring almost the same as hauling 10 tons in a half ton truck all the tiome I know I know my wife is the teacher not me, I know what it does just not how to say it |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
tjkj2002 wrote: Yep you are at the stage called "stacking" and is caused by to much preload.
what does preload mean? |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:32 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
2006 KJ wrote: I'm going to put the OME790 springs (HD CRD springs) in my frankenlift... keeping the spacer and daystar top plate that came with the gasser frankenlift. Allj's says it's impossible to assemble it with the CRD springs in a gasser frankenlift.. Why do they say it is impossible? Springs too tough to compress? |
|
| Author: | 2006 KJ [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
icarl wrote: 2006 KJ wrote: I'm going to put the OME790 springs (HD CRD springs) in my frankenlift... keeping the spacer and daystar top plate that came with the gasser frankenlift. Allj's says it's impossible to assemble it with the CRD springs in a gasser frankenlift.. Why do they say it is impossible? Springs too tough to compress? i guess so... they just said it would kill someone from shooting the compressor across the shop... i'll find out soon hopefully... if what they say is true.. it was nice knowing you guys |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
icarl wrote: 2006 KJ wrote: I'm going to put the OME790 springs (HD CRD springs) in my frankenlift... keeping the spacer and daystar top plate that came with the gasser frankenlift. Allj's says it's impossible to assemble it with the CRD springs in a gasser frankenlift.. Why do they say it is impossible? Springs too tough to compress? that would be my guess, hwne I was compressing my OME HD coils by hand I had to use two sets of spring compressors and they were all bending! |
|
| Author: | KJ04 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:28 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Preload comes from adding a poly spacer within the shock assembly which further compresses the coils. Hood has an external clevis spacer, the reverse of an OTT. No preload there, just sagging springs from the weight. Those 410 lb. rate CRD stock length coils are simply sagging like mine did 6 months later with the 180 lb. weight of the ARB and winch bouncing up and down on every bump. I was using the RRO 2.125" Combo kit with Stock CRD coils which consists of 3/4" Daystar poly spacer and a 3/8" OTT spacer. It was fine at first, but after time it began to sag little by little until my tires started rubbing and the upper A-arms were banging on the extended bump stops all the time when off-road. |
|
| Author: | Hood297 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
KJ04 wrote: Preload comes from adding a poly spacer within the shock assembly and further compresses the coils.
Hood has an external clevis spacer, the reverse of an OTT. Those 410 lb. rate CRD stock lenght coils are simply sagging like mine did 6 months later with the 180 lb. weight of the ARB and winch bouncing up and down on every bump. I was using the RRO 2.125" Combo kit with Stock CRD coils which consists of 3/4" Daystar polt spacer and a 3/8" OTT spacer. It was fine at first, but after time it began to sag little by little until my tires started rubbing and the upper A-arms were banging on the extended bump stops all the time when off-road. So what springs are u currently running? would replacing the springs and struts solve my issue? |
|
| Author: | KJ04 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
2006 KJ wrote: icarl wrote: 2006 KJ wrote: I'm going to put the OME790 springs (HD CRD springs) in my frankenlift... keeping the spacer and daystar top plate that came with the gasser frankenlift. Allj's says it's impossible to assemble it with the CRD springs in a gasser frankenlift.. Why do they say it is impossible? Springs too tough to compress? i guess so... they just said it would kill someone from shooting the compressor across the shop... i'll find out soon hopefully... if what they say is true.. it was nice knowing you guys Compressing the 500 lb. spring is not the problem, compressing the 500 lb. spring with the 3/4" Daystar poly spacer added in adds alot more compression. Do you really think that the Rancho shock stem threads and that little nut is going to hold all that pressure back even if you could get it to compress That sounds down right scary Why not just play safe, install the coils with the stock shock plate, drive it around for a few weeks and see where you're at. Then add a clevis or a top spacer if you need a little more lift. I'd really hate to hear about you having a shock plate through your thick head or worse. |
|
| Author: | KJ04 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hood, I'm using the 500 LB.OME 790's with Rancho's up front and the extended Teraflex bump stops. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
mmmm boy was I wrong I thought Hood had the 790s already |
|
| Author: | Hood297 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
tommudd wrote: mmmm boy was I wrong I thought Hood had the 790s already
so just getting new springs wouldn't work with the RC spacer up front, or be wise? what should i do? |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I dont think it would work, and I personlly wouldnt want to try, I would do just the coil and a clevis if you need a little more height |
|
| Author: | Hood297 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
so do you think just the springs would give it the same, or similar height as i have right now? |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I wouldnt be surprised with the spring rating they have I think you will be real close with the coils and a clevis |
|
| Page 1 of 8 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|