LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Skid plate
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39193
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ChileanKJ [ Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Skid plate

Now that my sliders are painted and installed, I will start making a skid plate for the transmission and tranfer case, but I would like to make just one for both, yesterday took the measures and i will plasma cut the plate and then twist 90° the borders to give more strength to the plate, but what do you think about the plate width should be 4, 5 or 6 mm? the complete plate will be 120cm x 40 cm thats about 47.2" x 15.7" and obviously the weight it's important and i have two heavy sliders already.

Author:  long_tall_texan [ Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Plate thickness will all depend on what steel you use. I have used 4mm plate in construction equipmet design that was twice as strong and dent resistant than standard steel at 1/4" (6.35 mm). I would pay the extra for high strength steel and then go with thinner material to save weight.

Author:  jsc7002 [ Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

4mm 0.16" just a hair thicker than 1/8", which is similar to mopar
5mm 0.20" just a hair over 3/16", which is most aftermarket skids
6mm 0.24" not quite 1/4"

I would say 5mm, or 6 if you just really wanted to

Author:  ATXKJ [ Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

FYI - the 1/8"and the 3/16" skids bend
the Superskid is 1/4" with reinforcements - I don't think anyone's bent one of them yet

Author:  ChileanKJ [ Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

I will ask for the diferent type of metals and what is better for my application and based on the price I will decide what I do, the sliders are 6 mm with a 3 mm exterior round tube.

thanks

Author:  long_tall_texan [ Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

You would be surprised how hard it is to bend/dent some of the high strength steels in 4 mm. You can even get by with 3 mm in some of the exotic steels. We did a lot of large object drop testing in belly pans of construction equipment and I was shocked how well it held up.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

ATXKJ wrote:
FYI - the 1/8"and the 3/16" skids bend
the Superskid is 1/4" with reinforcements - I don't think anyone's bent one of them yet
I've personally seen 3 bent SuperSkids,one was really bent :shock: .

Author:  HoppedUpOnGoofballs [ Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
ATXKJ wrote:
FYI - the 1/8"and the 3/16" skids bend
the Superskid is 1/4" with reinforcements - I don't think anyone's bent one of them yet
I've personally seen 3 bent SuperSkids,one was really bent :shock: .



Those mall parking lots can get pretty crazy at times.. :lol:

Author:  ATXKJ [ Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

DaveKJ02's (mine looked like that but no pix)
Image
Image


a Skid row - Clint posted a while back
Image

Author:  ChileanKJ [ Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

:shock: :shock: :shock: After seen this picture.. may be I will have to make it from side to side, and forget about the weight

Author:  ATXKJ [ Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:53 am ]
Post subject: 

The real issue is the unsupported length front to back - that's why the Superskid had the side supports
if tjkj has photos it would be interesting to see where they bent.

The 2 arms bolt to the 'frame rails' in the middle
Image

unfortunately All-J's stopped making them

Author:  ChileanKJ [ Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

I will get back to the drawing board and make a new design, I have the next week off to work on this.

thanks

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

ATXKJ wrote:
The real issue is the unsupported length front to back - that's why the Superskid had the side supports
if tjkj has photos it would be interesting to see where they bent.

The 2 arms bolt to the 'frame rails' in the middle
Image

unfortunately All-J's stopped making them
No pics,2 had slight bows in them,not bad but enough to see.The 3rd was MUTT's that Durangotang has now and it's pretty bent :shock: .He might be able to post a pic of it.

Author:  durangotang [ Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Troy and I made a feeble effort to straighten out my bent superskid in Moab. Turns out two drunk guys jumping on it doesn't do much :lol: :lol:

Image

Hint: It's supposed to be flat :roll:

Author:  ATXKJ [ Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:49 am ]
Post subject: 

Try turning it upside down and driving on it (maybe with appropriate wooden blocks to limit movement)
(and maybe a heavier truck)

is that the tail end where it tapers down to bolt to the crossmember?

Author:  JeepinMaxx [ Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Image

The skids look like this at the end of every wheeling season. Once I used a 30 ton shop press to straighten it out. Now just a wooden work bench a couple of 2x4s and a sledge hammer and some free stress relief / anger management :wink: makes it straight again...

Author:  ChileanKJ [ Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ok, after hours on the drawing board and more hours in the high tech cad/cam stations :lol: :lol: went to pirates and take one of their designs, today bought the steel at a local second hand steel seller (I don't know how you call it but you get the idea o don't?) for 7 bucks to start this new skid. I will let you know how it turns out.

I had a Lasik on both eyes one week ago so my soldering time could be shorter.

thanks for the info.

Author:  jsc7002 [ Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

sweet! be sure to take some pics!

Author:  Signcutter21 [ Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
ATXKJ wrote:
FYI - the 1/8"and the 3/16" skids bend
the Superskid is 1/4" with reinforcements - I don't think anyone's bent one of them yet
I've personally seen 3 bent SuperSkids,one was really bent :shock: .



Troy, was one mine? If not count 1 more. My skid row i had first (being they were the only ones to make one in the "begining" ) bent almost as bad as the pic of Clints. The SSI has handled quite a beating that i've put it through though. Wish they still made em, i'd think about ordering another one, rather than fight with this one every time i go to replace it.
later
mike

Author:  ChileanKJ [ Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

This is my transmision skid plate design, it's based on two 5mm tubes and a 5 mm plate, I just finish the soldering job I'm not professional solder and it is only arc but I think it will hold up very well, I will test for fit as solder some times twist things, and then go for painting, I think this is going to be far more hard to bent than only plate skids.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I will work on the transfer case skid to mate with this one.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/