LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

42RLE Question
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39364
Page 1 of 1

Author:  PFMCDM [ Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 am ]
Post subject:  42RLE Question

2004 Liberty with about 34K miles. Has been a great vehicle...Never really 4 wheeled much - just once in a while on some dirt or gravel to lube things - mainly city driven on normal roads. My question ...I have had the car for about 2 years. It seems that when I go from R back to D after backing a few feet that the tranny hesitates for a second or two and then sort of grabs in forward gear a little....no wierd sounds or anything and no clunks just a little hesitation and then it grabs....Fluid level is OK. I do not drive this car myself a lot and I noticed it when driving my wife somewhere the other day...I don't remember this quirk from before....Is this normal and typical and common to this transmission or something I should get checked or be concerned about????

Thank you for the help and advice.

Author:  long_tall_texan [ Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:43 am ]
Post subject: 

My 07 has done that from day one. Don't know if it is supposed to, but it always has...

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 42RLE Question

PFMCDM wrote:
2004 Liberty with about 34K miles. Has been a great vehicle...Never really 4 wheeled much - just once in a while on some dirt or gravel to lube things - mainly city driven on normal roads. My question ...I have had the car for about 2 years. It seems that when I go from R back to D after backing a few feet that the tranny hesitates for a second or two and then sort of grabs in forward gear a little....no wierd sounds or anything and no clunks just a little hesitation and then it grabs....Fluid level is OK. I do not drive this car myself a lot and I noticed it when driving my wife somewhere the other day...I don't remember this quirk from before....Is this normal and typical and common to this transmission or something I should get checked or be concerned about????

Thank you for the help and advice.
Normal for the 42RLE.

Author:  tommudd [ Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Normal ......same for the last 116,000 miles nothing to worry about, or at least I don't :wink:

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Normal. Just keep the fluid and filter change as it should be.

My 42rle in my kj does it as does our 545rfe behind the hemi and our 545rfe behind the 4.7.

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:15 am ]
Post subject: 

My two recommendations for the 42RLE:

1. TransGo “correction” shift kit
2. Torque Converter upgrade at APS Precision

Author:  scoobysnax [ Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 am ]
Post subject: 

I’ve noticed that situation more when it’s cold out and the Jeep is not fully warmed up, or I should say that the time between “grabbing the gears” like you mentioned, is longer when it’s cold and not warmed up. It almost sounds like you can hear and electronic motor move to lock the gear in place. Not sure if that is what’s happening but that’s what it sounds like. Either way, like everyone else said I think it’s normal.

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:38 am ]
Post subject: 

I have absolutely no proof, no documentation, and no data……………..and I’m biased. With that being said, it sure seemed that putting Amsoil ATF in the transmission made it shift smoother and decreased the lag between the shifts. The shift kit definitely shortened those shifts, but I think the Amsoil fills the TC up quicker allowing the trany to shift smoother.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

scoobysnax wrote:
I’ve noticed that situation more when it’s cold out and the Jeep is not fully warmed up, or I should say that the time between “grabbing the gears” like you mentioned, is longer when it’s cold and not warmed up. It almost sounds like you can hear and electronic motor move to lock the gear in place. Not sure if that is what’s happening but that’s what it sounds like. Either way, like everyone else said I think it’s normal.


That noise you hear is called a solenoid. It controls where the tranny fluid goes.

Author:  MidnightLiberty [ Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Re-gearing to 4.10's might help too.

Author:  PFMCDM [ Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

I feel better now....I does bug me a little (but not a lot) but I was mainly concerned that it might be getting ready to give up the Ghost and strand me somewhere.....It never has though...this has been a very dependable little truck,,,,

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/