LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Squeak & Thud From Rear Suspension
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39749
Page 1 of 1

Author:  WarriorMP31B [ Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:02 am ]
Post subject:  Squeak & Thud From Rear Suspension

I installed my lift kit about a week or so ago and almost immediately after I started to notice a loud thud coming from the rear suspension whenever I hit a bump. After a few days I discovered that the rear left upper shock bolt was very loose. I had all the bolts tightened at the Tire Shop when I had my new tires put on. Problem solved... Or so I thought. The problem was resolved for a few days until earlier today when I started to notice a very slight squeak when I hit a bump. Before I managed to get home this squeak was soon followed by the all familiar thud when I hit a big enough bump. It is now located in the rear left only.

I checked the bolts on the shock and they're as tight as can be. I can only duplicate the sound by sitting in the cargo area and jumping up and down. It won't work if I simply rock the vehicle from side to side. If I jack up the vehicle under the rear left side even just a little, the thud and squeak will not occur. I tried physically moving the shock as well as compressing it. No abnormal play or unusual sounds.

... What the crap! :evil: Any ideas? This is really starting to annoy me!

Author:  Powdrdaze [ Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Stock rear shocks or longer?

Author:  WarriorMP31B [ Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rancho.

Author:  501 [ Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sounds like you rear shocks are loose. Get a couple of fender washers and remove the upper shock bolt and insert a washer or two and put your bolt back in. I had to put 2 on the passenger side and 1 on the driver side. No more noise now.

Author:  WarriorMP31B [ Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Unfortunately the last time this problem occurred (a few weeks ago when the lift kit was installed) I took it to the local tire shop to get my tires installed and when they were doing that, I asked them to tighten the bolts (mainly because the top bolt on the rear left shock was almost all the way backed out). I was told that unfortunately while it was tight then and there that the nut was stripped out and unfortunately the other side is not accessible. I can't physically move the shock back and forth like I could the last time, but the sound is just as bad now. Any idea if the bolt is screwed into a nut welded onto the other side of the frame or if the frame itself is threaded? I'm afraid that if I loosen the bolt I won't be able to tighten it back on because the nut will fall down into the frame (probably the wrong terminology).

Author:  501 [ Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 am ]
Post subject: 

Not sure on that, maybe Tom or TJKJ will know and chime in since they work on them a lot.

Author:  WarriorMP31B [ Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Any more help anybody?

Author:  tommudd [ Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 am ]
Post subject: 

I would "try" to take the bolt out and rethread the nut, only chance you have it sounds like, hopefully you can get it back out.

Author:  WarriorMP31B [ Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Do you happen to know how the nut is held in there? Is it welded onto the other side? How would I go about threading it?

Author:  Sport [ Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

WarriorMP31B wrote:
Do you happen to know how the nut is held in there? Is it welded onto the other side? How would I go about threading it?


If I am not mistaken the bolt threads into the frame.

Author:  corwyyn [ Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sport wrote:
WarriorMP31B wrote:
Do you happen to know how the nut is held in there? Is it welded onto the other side? How would I go about threading it?


If I am not mistaken the bolt threads into the frame.

If it's like a lot of the other points on the body it will be a nut spot-welded onto the back side of the metal at that location. If you have access to a tap and die set you might be able to get it cleaned out as Tom mentioned, then add the fender washer(s) inside the top mount to increase the width so the bolt will tighten up.

Author:  LIV42DY [ Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:16 am ]
Post subject: 

another option, take out the shock ..both of them, check the ID(Inside Dia) of the shock busshing metal sleeve, against the Dia of the bolt being used. At times te steel sleeve may be a bit larger causing issues, tis will happen on the decropression stage(Downward extention), second ceck your ball joint on te rear cross bar, at times tis could be worn giving you a false reading of were te sound is coming from, third make sure youre rear sway bar is tigt, (If you are still using one)

Author:  Straight6Jeff [ Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

My unlifted 02 was doing the same thing, plus thumping when getting on or off the throttle, along with a yaw-effect at highway speeds when on and off the throttle. Turns out the lower control arm bolt (at the rear end) was loose. Actually, the bolt was tight, as the factory seems to have cross threaded it. The control arm had about 1/32" of slop. I broke the bolt off, got a grade 8 9/16 bolt, tightened the snot out of it, and all is right again. Look for rust trails around the LCA bolts if all else fails.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/