LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Problem with 4wd?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40031
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Powdrdaze [ Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Problem with 4wd?

Can't figure it out. When in 4hi full time the front end gets squirrely but I'm figuring that an alignment will fix it. but the wierd thing is after i disengage it I'm getting a whirring (for lack of better words) sound from the front right and i can feel it in the steering- still squirrely. I got underneath and i can wiggle the cv axel on the right but not on the left. Any ideas? bad cv? bad half shaft? 4wd not dissengaging/engaging correctly? I'm stumped on this one, short of pulling it all apart. It's going in for an alignment tomorrow (post franky/tire install) and i'm going to have them look at it, just wanted to see what the lost boys (and girls) thought.

thanx in advance

Author:  XR [ Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

I had a similar problem.Mine turned out to be the propeller shaft from the carrier out to the CV shaft.The splines had deteriorated from rust.Too many submersions had rusted the splines and weakened them to the point of disintergration allowing the CV shaft to wobble.Fortunately I hadn't tossed the blown up diff yet and stole the original from it.Viola!Fixed.A new shaft can be had here(#6) for $157.If ya ask around someone here may have one if that turns out to be the issue.

Author:  Hood297 [ Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

same here. The shaft has a small C-clip that broke, allowing it to move a round a lil, which destroyed the splines.

#6 on XR's link is exactly what i needed. On mine it sounded like a someone banging a hammer on the frame, or a broken engine mount.

a $2 part ended up costing me about 1100 bucks after getting a new shaft, new CV with high angle boots and moog lower Ball joints and labor.

Author:  Powdrdaze [ Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:09 am ]
Post subject: 

if this is the problem, which is sounding very likely (i replaced the cv last winter and the splines were pretty rusty) am i going to have to replace the cv when I'm in there? Could this have caused any damage to anything else?

Hood297
Quote:
On mine it sounded like a someone banging a hammer on the frame, or a broken engine mount.


This is about right. Bangs pretty good when in 4wd. Thanks for your help guys.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/