LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Front Differential oil change interval?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42068
Page 1 of 1

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:46 am ]
Post subject:  Front Differential oil change interval?

This question is for my Jeep KJ and Dodge Truck. I rarely use the 4-wheel drive in my truck, and I typically change my rear diff fluid every 20,000 miles, so how often should I change my front differential lubricant if I rarely use 4-wheel drive?

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:08 am ]
Post subject: 

axle shafts still turn and require slippery goodness even in 2wd since we dont have axle disconnects or locking/unlocking hubs like with electronic or manual/auto hub 4x4 systems

correcto?

i mean, not to make light of service and costs but it is just a plug to pull and a bottle or two to squeeze of mobil juice if ya still runnin open in the front, right?

technically you could get away with every 100k miles, and that's not advice, thats just probably the running state of half the non-LOST jeeps out there, people just don't think to do it unless the dealer offers or they have a problem

with very few exceptions im service OCD

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:22 am ]
Post subject: 

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
i mean, not to make light of service and costs but it is just a plug to pull and a bottle or two to squeeze of mobil juice if ya still runnin open in the front, right?


I’m not sure about the KJ, (I only have 14,900 miles on her) but my Dodge Ram does not have a drain plug, I have to pull the front diff cover. I replace all my fluids and lubricants with Amsoil.

Author:  Guest [ Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:06 am ]
Post subject: 

KJ has a drain and fill plug.

Easy as pie, and twice as sweet

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:49 am ]
Post subject: 

i didn't mean for the plug part to be a question


:lol:

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:56 am ]
Post subject: 

The front diff oil should be changed at the same time as the rear diff,if you have skids the front diff does not cool as much and since it is tucked up and recieving heat from the egine also which will shorten oil life.As stated the front diff turns all the time in the KJ and the fact it does not hold very much oil it needs to be changed at the 12,000mile mark just like the rear diff.Your CTD requires less frequent front diff oil changes since it holds more oil and is cooled better then the KJ's front diff.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/