LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Powersteering leak??
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42909
Page 1 of 1

Author:  KJ in CO [ Tue May 05, 2009 10:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Powersteering leak??

So, I have had my kj for going on three months now and am still getting used to the "goings on" with it. The 2nd week I noticed that the p/s fluid was basically empty and that the reservoir you can NOT see the fluid level through it! :? So, I filled er up. The morning before last, I started my car and it made a whining noise. First thing I did was check the p/s fluid and sure enough, it was bone dry. So,i have been checking it out on my lunch breaks over the last couple of days. It seems like it is leaking from one of the hoses on the bottom of the res. My question is, Are there hose(s) on the bottom of the p/s reservoir or is it directly connected to the p/s pump? Just trying to see what I am up against for the weekend.. Pics of the underside of the p/s res would be the tops!! Pointers and suggestions are greatly appreciated :D .

Hopefully the tow hooks I ordered will be here and can get them on to make up for some of the stress :? :D .
THanks for all the help again.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue May 05, 2009 11:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

In the pic below is your P/S pump,the yellow circle is where it attaches to the reservoir via a o-ring.
Image


The pic below.............

#1 is the pressure line port.
#2 is the low pressure return line.

Image

Author:  KJ in CO [ Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

sweet pics man :shock: ..Thanks. Ok, has anone had any similar problems and which one of these would be the most likely culprit? Should i get some parts just in case? A size on that o-ring? I have to do the work out in the boonies at a buddies house in Sedalia being that I live in an apartment fer now :? .

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue May 05, 2009 11:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Clean real good with degreaser,fill and start engine and check where the leak is actually coming from 1st.The pump comes with the reservoir attached,best to leave it attached and not mess with that part.A brand new OEM pump ran me about $140 from here---http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214583&year=2005---.Do not get a remaned pump,they suck and just don't last,cost about as much as a brand new one also.

A common area for leaks is the P/S lines and the return nipple on the reservoir likes to crack since it is just plastic.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed May 06, 2009 10:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Sure is a lot for a pump.. Guess that reservoir makes it a little more.

Bought a pump for our zj for $50.. Going good after 3 years.. :?

Check out all the hoses below the pump going to the rack really good KJ in CO. Some of the hoses rub together and will wear a hole in each other over time. I put wire loom around all of my hoses when I realized what was going on.

Author:  djui5 [ Sat May 09, 2009 8:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wow I need to check mine too. It's leaking from somewhere and I thought it was the gear box. Could be these O rings.

Author:  Joe Jeeper [ Sun May 10, 2009 10:17 am ]
Post subject:  pressure hose

I had replaced the high pressure power steering hose twice on the Liberty it leaked at the swedge. Once warranty, 2nd time had to pay hose was $170.00.

Author:  RED_KJ_666 [ Sun May 10, 2009 2:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

I Am "The KING OF POWER STEERING FAILURE" on a KJ Self Proclaimed of course lol. 3 Pumps 3 Months. Cooler and lines once. and 2 Racks.... Don't buy Re-Man stuff thats what I'd recommend it's not worth the Hassle of doing all that work twice, or more if you're real stubborn like me more times. I was in the middle of B/F Nowhere the last time I Boogered the O-Ring on the High Pressure putting the pump in and had to drive 20 miles to Cell Phone range to call for help. Cooked the Pump, Finished off The Rack.

Author:  KJ in CO [ Sun May 10, 2009 3:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well, I was supposed to get this job done today, but the weather didnt work out in my favor and my buddy decided he didn't wanna help out either. Is there anyone out there that has a thread to the removal of the powersteering pump/reservoir removal? I would like to try and do the job myself in the next couple days and wouldn't mind a little direction. Or even pointers is great. I was lookin at it and looks like I probably need to loosen the belt tensioner, take the belt off, disconnect the coolant hose from the thermostat.. Should I be able to get the reservoir off from there or is there something I am missing? It looks like it might still be blocked from a pulley.. Any suggestions?
Also, I must apologize, I haven't done alot of mechanic work and this is a first time for me as well.. Same with my danged ole 4wd problem right now.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Sun May 10, 2009 7:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

KJ in CO wrote:
Well, I was supposed to get this job done today, but the weather didnt work out in my favor and my buddy decided he didn't wanna help out either. Is there anyone out there that has a thread to the removal of the powersteering pump/reservoir removal? I would like to try and do the job myself in the next couple days and wouldn't mind a little direction. Or even pointers is great. I was lookin at it and looks like I probably need to loosen the belt tensioner, take the belt off, disconnect the coolant hose from the thermostat.. Should I be able to get the reservoir off from there or is there something I am missing? It looks like it might still be blocked from a pulley.. Any suggestions?
Also, I must apologize, I haven't done alot of mechanic work and this is a first time for me as well.. Same with my danged ole 4wd problem right now.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Pull the pump with the reservoir attached,it's just 3 bolts(accessed through the P/S pulley) and the 2 hoses,of course the serp belt needs to come off.Don't mess with with trying to take the reservoir off the pump,it's just not worth the hassle and will leak.You will need a P/S pulley puller/installer to remove the pulley.Shouldn't take but 10mins max to pull the pump off.

Author:  KJ in CO [ Sun May 10, 2009 8:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
KJ in CO wrote:
Well, I was supposed to get this job done today, but the weather didnt work out in my favor and my buddy decided he didn't wanna help out either. Is there anyone out there that has a thread to the removal of the powersteering pump/reservoir removal? I would like to try and do the job myself in the next couple days and wouldn't mind a little direction. Or even pointers is great. I was lookin at it and looks like I probably need to loosen the belt tensioner, take the belt off, disconnect the coolant hose from the thermostat.. Should I be able to get the reservoir off from there or is there something I am missing? It looks like it might still be blocked from a pulley.. Any suggestions?
Also, I must apologize, I haven't done alot of mechanic work and this is a first time for me as well.. Same with my danged ole 4wd problem right now.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Pull the pump with the reservoir attached,it's just 3 bolts(accessed through the P/S pulley) and the 2 hoses,of course the serp belt needs to come off.Don't mess with with trying to take the reservoir off the pump,it's just not worth the hassle and will leak.You will need a P/S pulley puller/installer to remove the pulley.Shouldn't take but 10mins max to pull the pump off.


Cant thank you enough for all your help.. By the way, I found a powersteering pump/reservoir at Advance Auto Parts for $86.97 plus tax and the pump itself was $10 bucks cheaper I beleive.. So, I am not sure if the prices just went down since the vehicle is getting a little older but that is the price they gave me :D ..

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Sun May 10, 2009 10:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

KJ in CO wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
KJ in CO wrote:
Well, I was supposed to get this job done today, but the weather didnt work out in my favor and my buddy decided he didn't wanna help out either. Is there anyone out there that has a thread to the removal of the powersteering pump/reservoir removal? I would like to try and do the job myself in the next couple days and wouldn't mind a little direction. Or even pointers is great. I was lookin at it and looks like I probably need to loosen the belt tensioner, take the belt off, disconnect the coolant hose from the thermostat.. Should I be able to get the reservoir off from there or is there something I am missing? It looks like it might still be blocked from a pulley.. Any suggestions?
Also, I must apologize, I haven't done alot of mechanic work and this is a first time for me as well.. Same with my danged ole 4wd problem right now.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Pull the pump with the reservoir attached,it's just 3 bolts(accessed through the P/S pulley) and the 2 hoses,of course the serp belt needs to come off.Don't mess with with trying to take the reservoir off the pump,it's just not worth the hassle and will leak.You will need a P/S pulley puller/installer to remove the pulley.Shouldn't take but 10mins max to pull the pump off.


Cant thank you enough for all your help.. By the way, I found a powersteering pump/reservoir at Advance Auto Parts for $86.97 plus tax and the pump itself was $10 bucks cheaper I beleive.. So, I am not sure if the prices just went down since the vehicle is getting a little older but that is the price they gave me :D ..
Just be warned that any P/S pump from any auto parts store that is not a new OEM version can be trouble,just giving heads up and make sure you get the warranty and keep the papers handy.Just my 2 cents from experience.

Author:  KJ in CO [ Sat May 16, 2009 11:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Has anyone ever changed out the o-ring between the reservoir and the pump and had success?? I just can't afford to buy the new pump and reservoir right now :oops: :cry: ... I just had to rebuild my driveshaft, do my brakes and put a new water pump. And I still have the p/s leaking. Anything I can do??

Author:  RED_KJ_666 [ Sun May 17, 2009 12:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

If it's Drivable Then keep checking/Topping up the fluid. Save $ until you can afford to replace it. I did that once just don't let it run out of fluid it will damage your rack.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/