It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2003 Renegade gear ratio? Air Lockers??
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:33 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Centerville Utah
Sorry to bring up the 4.10 discussion again for those who have already beat it to death. I am a little confused and getting some bad info I think.

First, I have a 2003 Renegade that I want to put 4.10 gears in. I am no where near my Jeep since I am in Japan and its in Utah. But I finally have the money to do a couple things and want to get things ordered so when I return this summer I can get dirty.

My friend is telling me the Renegade already has 4.10. I don`t believe it. Can someone confirm for me?

2nd, if I get these, I thought it would be a good time to put on the ARB lockers I want.

Is this a good idea? Can someone who has done this let me know your experience?

Lastly, I have looked at a couple of sites for the air lockers and gears. But any recommendations would really be appreciated.

As you can tell from my question I have never done this before but look forward to it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I am really missing my KJ!!!

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade
Franklin lifted, BFG 245/75/16 A/T


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:40 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:23 am
Posts: 1218
I'm pretty sure your Rennie doesn't have 4.10. Those gears were only available in the 4 cylinder model...

The 4 popper wasn't offered in a Rennie....

_________________
05 KJ Limited 4x4 in Light Khaki: Detours USA Backbone, Warn M8000, Huskyliners, RockLizard Super Skink sliders, OME/Bilstein Lift, JBA UCA's, 245/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
07 LR3 SE V8
1996 XJ Country
2015 KL Limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Yep no 4.10's in any Renny's from the factory.The only company that makes the correct gears for the front D30A in the KJ is Dana/Spicer,the rear 8.25 has many option for 4.10's like Yukon,Precision,and Richmond.It would be a very good idea to install F/R lockers while doing a gear change since the front diff needs to be removed to do either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:07 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
When are you coming back to UT?

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:20 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:17 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Cle Elum, Washington
You haven't mentioned why you want the 4.10's? I want them because I plan on 235/85/16 tires after my Frankenlift. As for the ARB's Ive had four trucks with dual (I have two right now) ARB's so Im pretty versed in them. They are expensive, very strong and offer the best of both worlds. There is nothing like being able to lock in when you need them. Converselly it sucks to have lockers at certain times (heavy rain, ice, snow) at road speeds. You need a good compressor and air lines ran to each diff.. The latest ARB compressor is a great unit that you can use to air up your tires when needed.

Make sure you make your decision soon, as the time to add the lockers is when your gears are being changed!!!

_________________
2006 KJ CRD Ltd - Suncoast, GDE Eco, EGR Delete, After market T-Stat, Skid Row skids, V6 airbox, 2.5" Turbo back
2005 KJ CRD Sport-Suncoast, Transco, GDE Hot-GDE Trans, EGR Delete, Skid Row skids, V6 airbox, 2.5" Turbo back, After market S-Stat
1987 Suzuki LWB Samurai -diesel powered, custom 4 link coil suspension 38.5 SX Swampers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:49 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Centerville Utah
Thanks everyone. I am planning to come back in August.

I am currently running 245/75/16 and to be honest didn`t notice really any difference when I put these on a few years ago after the lift. But I am interesting in possibly going just a little bigger if possible. So I am interesting in 4.10 for this. But to be honest not sure really if they are needed. I have read a few posts of people who say they are happy to have them though. Any thoughts?

As for the lockers, I think I want to do this regardless.

Thanks.

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade
Franklin lifted, BFG 245/75/16 A/T


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:28 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
if you have the money to do it I would say do it, you will have more power and a better crawl, but you are talking about a lot of money, $1000 for each locker and $500 for the gears and then install for it all so at least $3000

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Centerville Utah
ouch your right. So that brings me to the next question. Am I basically at the limit before needing to change gears? I guess the gears would be a priority over the lockers? What do you think?

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade
Franklin lifted, BFG 245/75/16 A/T


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:18 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:11 pm
Posts: 431
Location: canada
luckys13 wrote:
ouch your right. So that brings me to the next question. Am I basically at the limit before needing to change gears? I guess the gears would be a priority over the lockers? What do you think?


lockers are a much better improvement over 4.10 gears but its better if you do both at the same time so you dont pay twice for labor. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and i decided to do both lockers and gears at the same time. very expensive but well worth it if you have the money. also in the long run 4.10 gears will pay for them selves by saving some gas mileage

_________________
08 KK north, select track
custom skids , sliders and steel bumpers
12k titan winch
4.56 gears, arb locker front and rear.
3'' fox lift, Jba A arms
33'' Bfg KM2 with 1 1/4'' wheel spacers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:41 am 
Offline
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:40 pm
Posts: 2353
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Renny is pretty much an appearance package.

_________________
LOST # 633
'05 KJ 3.7L/6spd/241 245/75/16 MT's
'88 MJ 4.0L/AW4/231 SWB HPD30 & trac-loc D44 w/3.73's
A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
I bought a DL when I bought gears but the transmission shop refused to install it because you have to grind the C clips. They also forgot to tighten the bracket bolts for the front diff. FL suffers for a severe talent vacuum!

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:02 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
JL Rockies wrote:
I bought a DL when I bought gears but the transmission shop refused to install it because you have to grind the C clips. They also forgot to tighten the bracket bolts for the front diff. FL suffers for a severe talent vacuum!


You got that right!

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:30 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Centerville Utah
Thanks everyone for your comments. Its a difficult decision but I guess I may just bite the bullet and try and pull it off. I am going to have to earn a lot of points with my wife between now and August......

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade
Franklin lifted, BFG 245/75/16 A/T


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
you could go with a DTT in the front and a DL in the rear and 4.10s, I love my Detroits! 8)

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com