| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| 2003 Renegade gear ratio? Air Lockers?? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43239 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | luckys13 [ Sun May 17, 2009 7:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | 2003 Renegade gear ratio? Air Lockers?? |
Sorry to bring up the 4.10 discussion again for those who have already beat it to death. I am a little confused and getting some bad info I think. First, I have a 2003 Renegade that I want to put 4.10 gears in. I am no where near my Jeep since I am in Japan and its in Utah. But I finally have the money to do a couple things and want to get things ordered so when I return this summer I can get dirty. My friend is telling me the Renegade already has 4.10. I don`t believe it. Can someone confirm for me? 2nd, if I get these, I thought it would be a good time to put on the ARB lockers I want. Is this a good idea? Can someone who has done this let me know your experience? Lastly, I have looked at a couple of sites for the air lockers and gears. But any recommendations would really be appreciated. As you can tell from my question I have never done this before but look forward to it. Thanks for any help you can give me. I am really missing my KJ!!! |
|
| Author: | HoosierJeeper [ Sun May 17, 2009 7:40 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I'm pretty sure your Rennie doesn't have 4.10. Those gears were only available in the 4 cylinder model... The 4 popper wasn't offered in a Rennie.... |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yep no 4.10's in any Renny's from the factory.The only company that makes the correct gears for the front D30A in the KJ is Dana/Spicer,the rear 8.25 has many option for 4.10's like Yukon,Precision,and Richmond.It would be a very good idea to install F/R lockers while doing a gear change since the front diff needs to be removed to do either. |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Sun May 17, 2009 10:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
When are you coming back to UT? |
|
| Author: | CRD Joe [ Sun May 17, 2009 10:20 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
You haven't mentioned why you want the 4.10's? I want them because I plan on 235/85/16 tires after my Frankenlift. As for the ARB's Ive had four trucks with dual (I have two right now) ARB's so Im pretty versed in them. They are expensive, very strong and offer the best of both worlds. There is nothing like being able to lock in when you need them. Converselly it sucks to have lockers at certain times (heavy rain, ice, snow) at road speeds. You need a good compressor and air lines ran to each diff.. The latest ARB compressor is a great unit that you can use to air up your tires when needed. Make sure you make your decision soon, as the time to add the lockers is when your gears are being changed!!! |
|
| Author: | luckys13 [ Sun May 17, 2009 5:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks everyone. I am planning to come back in August. I am currently running 245/75/16 and to be honest didn`t notice really any difference when I put these on a few years ago after the lift. But I am interesting in possibly going just a little bigger if possible. So I am interesting in 4.10 for this. But to be honest not sure really if they are needed. I have read a few posts of people who say they are happy to have them though. Any thoughts? As for the lockers, I think I want to do this regardless. Thanks. |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Sun May 17, 2009 7:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
if you have the money to do it I would say do it, you will have more power and a better crawl, but you are talking about a lot of money, $1000 for each locker and $500 for the gears and then install for it all so at least $3000 |
|
| Author: | luckys13 [ Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
ouch your right. So that brings me to the next question. Am I basically at the limit before needing to change gears? I guess the gears would be a priority over the lockers? What do you think? |
|
| Author: | Boblemoche [ Mon May 18, 2009 1:18 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
luckys13 wrote: ouch your right. So that brings me to the next question. Am I basically at the limit before needing to change gears? I guess the gears would be a priority over the lockers? What do you think?
lockers are a much better improvement over 4.10 gears but its better if you do both at the same time so you dont pay twice for labor. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and i decided to do both lockers and gears at the same time. very expensive but well worth it if you have the money. also in the long run 4.10 gears will pay for them selves by saving some gas mileage |
|
| Author: | InCommando [ Mon May 18, 2009 1:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Renny is pretty much an appearance package. |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I bought a DL when I bought gears but the transmission shop refused to install it because you have to grind the C clips. They also forgot to tighten the bracket bolts for the front diff. FL suffers for a severe talent vacuum! |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Mon May 18, 2009 5:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
JL Rockies wrote: I bought a DL when I bought gears but the transmission shop refused to install it because you have to grind the C clips. They also forgot to tighten the bracket bolts for the front diff. FL suffers for a severe talent vacuum!
You got that right! Terry |
|
| Author: | luckys13 [ Mon May 18, 2009 9:30 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks everyone for your comments. Its a difficult decision but I guess I may just bite the bullet and try and pull it off. I am going to have to earn a lot of points with my wife between now and August...... |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
you could go with a DTT in the front and a DL in the rear and 4.10s, I love my Detroits! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|