LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

rattle after mounting MOAB spare
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43347
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bwtucker [ Wed May 20, 2009 9:36 am ]
Post subject:  rattle after mounting MOAB spare

I had gotten a set of Moabs off of my cousin a while ago but I still had the stock spare on the back. Recently I finally got the his spare and put it on. It's a used MTR with about 30%-40% tread left. Now I get a high pitched rattle in the back from every little imperfection in the road. I can see the tire vibrating when I look in the rear view mirror which is what is obviously causing the rattle. Everything is tight that I can tell. Is there a fix for this? I know a bunch of people are running these and I'm wondering if this is a common thing.

Author:  tommudd [ Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 am ]
Post subject: 

I have the Moab with a Goodyear MTR hanging back there and no rattles/ noises and has been there for 15,000/18,000 miles. You may take the tire off and make sure the mount is good and tight, also its heavier so maybe the striker needs adjusted for the extra weight back there

Author:  bwtucker [ Fri May 22, 2009 10:34 am ]
Post subject: 

The door itself isn't rattling, it's something inside of it. I thought it was the carrier too so I checked to make sure it was tight and it was. I guess I'm going to have to rip the inside panel off and see what's going on this weekend. I don't mind it so much, I just turn the radio up louder but my wife is getting really annoyed at it.

Author:  hyedipin [ Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 am ]
Post subject: 

did you drive around without the spare to see if the rattle is still there?

Author:  bwtucker [ Fri May 22, 2009 12:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

not yet, I'll try that tomorrow but it didn't do it at all with the stock spare and started doing it instantly with the Moab put on. But hey, i'll try anything to check it out.

Author:  bwtucker [ Sat May 23, 2009 11:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

took the spare off today and drove it. No rattle. Took the interior panel off and made sure everything was tight and it was. I also made sure the that the door itself wasn't rattling on the latch and it wasn't. As soon as I put the spare back on, it rattled again. Oh, well, I'll just deal with it

Author:  Boiler [ Sat May 23, 2009 11:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

I just rotated my tires last week and was getting a new rattle. It wasn't high pitched though. Go back there and see if you can see the tailgate move in and out if you push on the tire relatively firmly and abruptly. Just don't cave in the tailgate...

My striker bar needed to be drawn slightly closer to the front and it now holds the tailgate tighter to the jeep. It is a little firmer / scratchier on closing, but not bad. It was however a pain to get the striker in the right place. I think I moved it and tried it about 30 times...

Author:  stumpjumper_09 [ Sun May 24, 2009 12:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

did you try shaking the spare? Maybe it was fixed at sometime and there is a tire plug inside of it moving around? I don't know just throwing ideas.

Author:  Xodius [ Sun May 24, 2009 7:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not sure where my reply is...I have a rattle on mine too but it is all from the weight. I actually have a wear spot in the paint where the door rubs. I just ignore it. From time to time it does get annoying but let's face it, it is a KJ if it does not rattle and hum your doing something wrong ;)

Author:  superj [ Sun May 24, 2009 10:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

mine has the same high pitches squeek. turns out there is a tiny tear in the door skin under one of the lower mounting bolts

Image

see it. very tiny but makes the highest pitched noise. only when my spare is on. my spare is a 255/70 bfg AT. now, whenever i go on long road trips, the spare rides in the rear cargo area and is strapped own with a ratchet strap

Author:  bwtucker [ Mon May 25, 2009 11:18 am ]
Post subject: 

Yea, I had seen that picture in another thread when I did a search on this. I looked for a tear and there aren't any luckily. I think the spare inside on trips is a good idea.

Author:  superj [ Mon May 25, 2009 9:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

keeps it from getting stolen also

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/