It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: "t-hook" for recovery point?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:22 am
Posts: 312
Location: Gloucester Mass.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 0_113+7383

Is anyone familiar with these? I am leaving on a trip that will include a lot of beach driving and the front tow hooks are on back order. Has anyone used these? A professional tow truck driver recommended it. It fits into the small oval slot on every new cars' frame or unibody and is used by tow trucks.

I'm thinking of grabbing one to use until the tow hooks come in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:20 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1593
Location: Muncie Indiana
These? http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 0027_20027

I think they'd work ok if they fit, 10,000 lbs capacity sounds decent. I think most people prefer Clevis / D shackles like this, but you can't just bolt them up like the hooks, you'd have to have something to mount them into. Much safer, no path to slip off.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200315693

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:49 pm
Posts: 210
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
I think he means these http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_43572_43572

I'd be concerned. I couldn't find any thing that listed their rating. I think they are only meant for using as a tie down point. I'm not sure I'd use that as a snatch point. I could be wrong...

_________________
2004 Liberty - 2009 JKU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 991
Location: Flanders, NJ
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 3572_43572

he ment this... yeah it could be used just not for tugging readlly hard...but on the beach u shouldn't get that stuck...if you find ur self stuck don't keep spinning your tires because you will only get more stuck

_________________
02 Jeep TJ Sahara, 33's locked up front
03 SAS KJ 0n 35ish boggers(Sold :( )
Petersens 4wheel: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredve ... index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:22 am
Posts: 312
Location: Gloucester Mass.
Yes, it only for an emergency in case the tide is coming in and I'm stuck. I can't think of any other way to get a strap on the front. I don't want to spend much since I have tow hooks on backorder from Jparts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
It will work but I would be more concerned with whos hooking on to you if you are stuck! I have seen some really stupid people yank and tug like wild men trying to pull someone out, when a slow pull would do it.

Just be careful

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:08 pm
Posts: 1645
Location: St Charles IL
When I had the KJ towed, the truck used one of those to get the car on the tow truck - the sheet metal making up the oval actually ripped, deforming the oval in the unibody.

I wouldn't trust one of those T/J hooks going into the unibody for recovery at all. But that's me :P

_________________
2008 Xterra 4x4

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Image

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The above is used only for tie down on a tow truck or transport trailer,the holes these fit into on the unibody will not support any pulling weight or even a recovery action,the holes in the unibody will tear and then those hooks will become flying missles that will cause major damage to what/whom they hit.Plus you have to use a min of 4 of those(one on each corner of the body) to even hold the vehicle weight in place on a tow truck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 4576
tjkj2002 wrote:
Image

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The above is used only for tie down on a tow truck or transport trailer,the holes these fit into on the unibody will not support any pulling weight or even a recovery action,the holes in the unibody will tear and then those hooks will become flying missles that will cause major damage to what/whom they hit.Plus you have to use a min of 4 of those(one on each corner of the body) to even hold the vehicle weight in place on a tow truck.

Exactly correct! I have seen people use those that did not know any better for "pulling" things straight or towing and they will break! Those are "t" hooks used on car haulers that I work on everyday and are for securing vehicles to the ramps/decks ONLY! I have seen them damage brand new vehicle unibody slots not even delivered to the dealer yet, which is why most manufactures are now requiring their haulers to use straps around the tires. Do yourself, your vehicle and whoever would be helping you a favor..........do not use those.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:22 am
Posts: 312
Location: Gloucester Mass.
Thanks for the knowledgeable advice. Back to the drawing board.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com