| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| the price of mud http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44343 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | sidewayskj [ Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | the price of mud |
Found out today why a lot of people stay away from mud bogs. First hats off to the kj and getting me way deep up to the doors in mud and not being able to plow anymore mud lol. Thought I was stuck and for sure no going into reverse and back out. Started to rock her a bit and out she came with gobs of skinny petal. Thought what a great day had some offroad fun then the clean up came. $10 at a pressure washer got home and though I would was the jeep right up and then kept finding mud underneath everywhere. 4 hours of washing and getting mud off then to was all the crap off the drive way what and experience. Would I do it again hmmm hell yea |
|
| Author: | daspes [ Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I Hate mud. Don't mind wet dirt, but hate mud. |
|
| Author: | scout [ Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I used to love the mud untill I got stuck and ripped my front bumper off... lol. I guess it was a good thing though... I now have a one of a kind bumper. When I install my winch im going to make that mud hole my B&*^%. |
|
| Author: | SweepnChoke [ Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: the price of mud |
sidewayskj wrote: Found out today why a lot of people stay away from mud bogs. First hats off to the kj and getting me way deep up to the doors in mud and not being able to plow anymore mud lol. Thought I was stuck and for sure no going into reverse and back out. Started to rock her a bit and out she came with gobs of skinny petal. Thought what a great day had some offroad fun then the clean up came. $10 at a pressure washer got home and though I would was the jeep right up and then kept finding mud underneath everywhere. 4 hours of washing and getting mud off then to was all the crap off the drive way what and experience. Would I do it again hmmm hell yea
I'm still finding mud after the bog I did a month ago, take a good look at your engine bay, and on top of your skids, you can spray and spray till everything look clean, come back the next day and mud will have oozed from somewhere hidden and your back at it again;) |
|
| Author: | hollysprings [ Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:53 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Glad you got out okay. And yeah, you'll keep finding mud for weeks. A lot of that mud comes from spinning your wheels unnecessarily. Here's a way to get unstuck without so much spinning - Always carry boots and a shovel. When you get stuck, stop slinging mud and use the shovel to clear the track and clean off your tires. If you're in a mud hole that is near some lower ground, dig a trench to drain off some water. Rocking back and forth is good, but it builds up little mounds in front of and behind the tires - use the shovel to remove those mounds. Even when winching out, you can make it easier and reduce the amount of mud you pick up with a few minutes of smart shovel work. |
|
| Author: | tomsjeep [ Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
You may find mud for years to come... after a particularly nasty spin through some clay/mud a few years back, I still find mud in odd corners (and on the inside of the roof) in my TJ. Mud is an interesting thing. |
|
| Author: | LIV42DY [ Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hate mud |
|
| Author: | USAFCOP [ Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Mud killed my tranny... I stay out of deep mud now... |
|
| Author: | chefdab [ Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
USAFCOP wrote: Mud killed my tranny... I stay out of deep mud now...
Killed the cooling fan in the KJ. I mostly avoid it now with the LJ. |
|
| Author: | 2006 KJ [ Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
scout wrote: I used to love the mud untill I got stuck and ripped my front bumper off... lol. I guess it was a good thing though... I now have a one of a kind bumper. When I install my winch im going to make that mud hole my B&*^%.
hahahahahahaha i dont mind it every once and a while.. and $10 is cheap.. i never get out of there under 18... but i do a goooood job haha i like my jeep spotless |
|
| Author: | chefdab [ Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I bought an electric pressure washer for the house. It also does wonders for getting the mud off after an off road trip. They cost less than $200 and if you're spending $10-15 at the car wash every trip, you would have paid for the electric pressure washer in about a years time. Good investment for me. Plus I use it around the house on the patio, steps etc. |
|
| Author: | oddball [ Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Guess I'm not cool - I will steer away from deep mud every time. |
|
| Author: | icarl [ Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
chefdab wrote: I bought an electric pressure washer for the house. It also does wonders for getting the mud off after an off road trip. They cost less than $200 and if you're spending $10-15 at the car wash every trip, you would have paid for the electric pressure washer in about a years time. Good investment for me. Plus I use it around the house on the patio, steps etc.
That's a good idea and i would do that except what do you do with the 100 ibs of mud you just washed off your jeep onto your driveway or street? |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
What, and suddenly all the storm drains are closed? |
|
| Author: | jnaut [ Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: the price of mud |
sidewayskj wrote: Found out today why a lot of people stay away from mud bogs. First hats off to the kj and getting me way deep up to the doors in mud and not being able to plow anymore mud lol. Thought I was stuck and for sure no going into reverse and back out. Started to rock her a bit and out she came with gobs of skinny petal. Thought what a great day had some offroad fun then the clean up came. $10 at a pressure washer got home and though I would was the jeep right up and then kept finding mud underneath everywhere. 4 hours of washing and getting mud off then to was all the crap off the drive way what and experience. Would I do it again hmmm hell yea
I don't know if this will help, but a little known trick, and this works for you folks in the east where they salt the roads, is to take a simple garden sprinkler and run it under your car, moving the hose along the underside as needed. |
|
| Author: | BeepBeepJeepJeep [ Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I began my wheeling career in the mud... in the KJ. After a few unfortunate events, I will never drive into anything I can't see the bottom of. This includes mud. Here is the fun I've had: -Water in both difs due to cracked breathers 'stock' from the used car lot - rebuilding a rear dif in the driveway is not fun -Carpet sitting in the sun and taking a week to dry after going through a small lake -Nearly rolling the jeep because I only drove one side into a "puddle" -On second set of U-joints in 30k miles, thanks mud -Parking brake? HAH! Mud turns rear rotors into a brake shoe eating monster -Windshield wipers being replaced every 10 miles; mud is not kind to them -Clutch replacement, throwout bearings were MIA - possibly due to the effects engaging in deep mud/water I think that's enough for now... can't wait to see what goes next... However, the looks you get from people on your drive back are priceless... It's either: "WOW! That looks awesome!" or... "WHAT THE F WAS THAT PERSON THINKING??" |
|
| Author: | scout [ Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:33 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote: I began my wheeling career in the mud... in the KJ.
After a few unfortunate events, I will never drive into anything I can't see the bottom of. This includes mud. Here is the fun I've had: -Water in both difs due to cracked breathers 'stock' from the used car lot - rebuilding a rear dif in the driveway is not fun -Carpet sitting in the sun and taking a week to dry after going through a small lake -Nearly rolling the jeep because I only drove one side into a "puddle" -On second set of U-joints in 30k miles, thanks mud -Parking brake? HAH! Mud turns rear rotors into a brake shoe eating monster -Windshield wipers being replaced every 10 miles; mud is not kind to them -Clutch replacement, throwout bearings were MIA - possibly due to the effects engaging in deep mud/water I think that's enough for now... can't wait to see what goes next... However, the looks you get from people on your drive back are priceless... It's either: "WOW! That looks awesome!" or... "WHAT THE F WAS THAT PERSON THINKING??" Wow. I only got stuck and ripped my bumper off... lol. Oh wait... I did drive really fast into a puddle (one I always did) and hit a brick. Talk about a suprise. I guess some kid thru it in or some body thinking it would be funny if some one hit it. |
|
| Author: | KJ 119 [ Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Dropping your engine skid is a handy way to get rid of hidden mud.I dropped mine last week to change diff oil and found a 10 pound red clay cake. |
|
| Author: | kvenner [ Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:25 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
An hour at the self car wash just to drive home. Pulled off the skids, the wheels, the radiator shroud. Cleaned out 15 gallons of mud from underneath the KJ. Then washed everything again with a pressure washer. Five hours of work. No more mud for me. |
|
| Author: | LibertyFever [ Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Well there's mud & there's mud I was tempted a couple of weeks ago while at a Jeep Jamboree to put a set of 33's on my Libby and plow through a mud pit but common sense prevented me |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|