| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Bad vibration may have found the problem http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44823 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Sport [ Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Bad vibration may have found the problem |
I was looking closely at the driveshaft by the TC and axle. Where the driveshaft connects to the axle I noticed some cracked seals and grease, is this area called the U-joints? Well would this be the cause of my vibration issues and if so is there a good after market option to replace these? |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Are you talking about the front drive shaft or the rear one? If youre talking about the rear one I do not know of any seals that you can visually see crack but the U-joints can cause vibrations. The front driveshaft has boots that can crack/tear and will cause the joints to go bad. It has a CV joint. |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
it is the rear and I am talking about the U joint. After a little internet searching I confirmed that is what I am talking about. the picture below shows the black rings that I am calling seals that are cracked and exposing grease..
|
|
| Author: | djui5 [ Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
What kinda vibration is it causing? Mine is vibrating around 70mph+ and I can't for the life of me figure it out. |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I guess you can say a hum and right around the 40mph mark I get a shudder. |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Where can I get new U joints? I found Precision on Summit but there are too many to figure out. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... toview=SKU |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
ok, got it narrowed down to 2, does anyone know which one?? http://www.summitracing.com/search/year ... s=Rank|Asc |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:16 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Well, I bought them both. One is super and the other isn't but they are both the same style so they both will probably work. I will let you know if the vibes go away. |
|
| Author: | djui5 [ Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Please do. Gonna check mine tomorrow |
|
| Author: | phxtoad [ Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Randy - What you didn't inspect them when flopped? Todd |
|
| Author: | djui5 [ Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
phxtoad wrote: Randy - What you didn't inspect them when flopped?
Todd hahahaha Found out what the problem was today. One of my CV's were clicking and Phoenix Rack told me it was where the inner axle splines meet with the CV. Sure enough, got an axle assembly from AMC4x4 and had Todd put it in today. The one in my heep was really rusted. So rusted that the splines were not meeting where they should be and were skipping, plus it had a lot of play in it, kinda like a bad ball joint. Put the new (used) one in and I hit 90 with very minimal vibration, which could be a number of things. So the major vibration is cured Oh I checked the rear U-joints while it was on the lift and they seem just fine. Now all my suspension bushings front and rear are a whole nother story |
|
| Author: | XJMA [ Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
To check the Ujoints, with it in park (parking brake for safety, yada yada) just get under there and try to rotate the shaft. Get your hand in there and feel the connection. The driveshaft should rotate just a tiny bit, a few degrees, and if there is any play at all between the driveshaft and the yoke, the Ujoint is bad. If not, just pump more grease in there and you're good. If the Ujoint seals are cracked, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it. Now there are greaseable and non-greaseable Ujoints, and it's debateable as to which is better....the general thoughts are if it gets water a lot, greaseable are best because you can replenish the grease, but the thinking on the non-greaseable is that when you grease the greaseable ones, you're also introducing a little dirt that was on the zerk....so if the seals last on a non-greaseable, they should last longer....either way, they both get the job done. I usually go with greasable on the drieveshafts and non-greaseable on the axles, but whatever works. |
|
| Author: | kj-dec [ Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
XJMA wrote: To check the Ujoints, with it in park (parking brake for safety, yada yada) just get under there and try to rotate the shaft. Get your hand in there and feel the connection. The driveshaft should rotate just a tiny bit, a few degrees, and if there is any play at all between the driveshaft and the yoke, the Ujoint is bad. If not, just pump more grease in there and you're good. If the Ujoint seals are cracked, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it.
Now there are greaseable and non-greaseable Ujoints, and it's debateable as to which is better....the general thoughts are if it gets water a lot, greaseable are best because you can replenish the grease, but the thinking on the non-greaseable is that when you grease the greaseable ones, you're also introducing a little dirt that was on the zerk....so if the seals last on a non-greaseable, they should last longer....either way, they both get the job done. I usually go with greasable on the drieveshafts and non-greaseable on the axles, but whatever works. Greasable joints also can have a 'weak spot' where the zerk fitting is located, if its between two legs. The drilling/threading creates an area where a stress crack is more likely to form; usually only a problem with a lot of power/torque drivetrains. I doubt a stock Liberty would be affected We had a U-joint fail at the zerk on my Dad's old truck; turned out it was a furrin' POS replacement that a shop installed and it died within a year. The Spicer brand replacement lasted the rest of the life of the truck. |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Replaced the joint today and bada bing, no more vibration. You should have seen the condition of the caps and seals. two of the caps had literally a tablespoon worth of dried mud and another cap smelled like it had been burnt and the grease was black. Not sure what was going on there but the new one is nice and greasable. |
|
| Author: | DieselsRule [ Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Bad Vibrations |
This discussion was most helpful to me. I checked front tires and found "cupping" on the inside. four new tires and a front end allignment took care of the noise and steering column vibration. with all this racket cleared up I could feel a vibration under load. The rear shaft ujoint at dif. was one of the worst I have ever seen! I pressed a new joint in and the ride is so smooth I have to watch the speedo to keep it legal! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|