| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Skid Plate Recommendations http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45038 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | VoodooMann [ Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Skid Plate Recommendations |
I think I'm going to tackle the project of making myself some temporary Skid Plates for the Libby (possibly permanent, depending on how well I do), and I was wondering what gauge steel everyone recommends. Obv. since these may be temporary I am going for the best protection I can get with as little money as possible. Seeing as I live in the midwest, there aren't exactly a whole lot of places to go ROCK crawling, most of the wheeling I do is in the MUD. So with that in mind, I need some skids that can take moderate abuse on a budget. What does everyone recommend for thickness of steel, reinforcements, etc. |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
If you're looking for quick and dirty protection, you're going to spend probably at least half of what the mopar ones are in material, and then you have to make them work & not tear up your rig. If cost and minimal protection are the main concerns, its hard to beat the mopars IMO. You can definitely do better, but not for the $. I'd be using 1/8 or 3/16 steel backed by tubing or angle, or formed for rigidity. You're easily going to spend $150 I'd think, and you still have to figure out how to turn a stack of metal into skid plates Oh, and then they have to work and not damage your rig. I'd start asking around for left over mopar skids from other members if I was you. |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I used 3/16" for my trans skid with 1/8" angle for bracing, but I would recommend 3/16" for all the skid plates plus some bracing. |
|
| Author: | VoodooMann [ Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I seem to remember the stock skids on my explorer being much thinner than 3/16ths, I noticed that they weren't 'terribly' sturdy, but they werent flimsy either, i hit a large rock off road at low speed and put a pretty good sized dent in it, but it seemed to keep the roots and pebbles etc out of my CVs and Stuff. When I say thinner, Im talking 14ish ga. sheet metal, not plate steel... I knew right away they were to keep mud/sand/snow/small rocks away from the drivetrain... so I was thinking of making LIGHT DUTY skids. Remember, I'm not stopping bullets here, just tree roots and small chunks of dirt. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Mopar skids are not the toughest out there but they are resonable and if you go anywhere at all you need at least them, not sure where you drive but I have had to run over ladders, munice transmissions and other crap like that out on the highways, so any thing worth doing is worth doing right, not light weight |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Skids and mud don't mix well,the skids will hold alot of mud and there goes your seals and joints real fast,not to mention taking out electrical components and shift cables.Unless you plan on removing them often and cleaning real good I wouldn't bother with skids for just playing in the mud since they will do more damage then not having them in the long run. |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
tommudd wrote: so any thing worth doing is worth doing right, not light weight
Tom you're killing me. Lets face it, a beefy skid or bumper is nice, but if you add up heavy sliders, skids, bumpers, racks, cargo racks, etc, you can easily add 4-500 pounds or more to your ride. That is a major tax on your power, brake response, fuel efficiency, etc. I mean we're talking 10% of the vehicle weight, or more. Andy: Whatever you do, don't spend much money, you might wish you still had it real soon |
|
| Author: | VoodooMann [ Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Sooooo, Not having skids (even mopar skids) is better than ramming a stick through your CV, or driveshaft because then I won't have to clean mud off of them? sorry, had to say it Basically what I'm getting from this is that I am better off getting Mopar skids, or waiting for Boiler Skids... What does the Rev. think is necessary for wheeling in the Greater Ohio Area? Badlands? I am already getting an Front Engine skid from TBJ, I need TC and Tranny. Fuel Tank is optional insurance correct? |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:14 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
In Ohio and outlying states you need as much armor as you do anywhere else in the world. If you do not believe it look at ThunderbirdJunkie's, meh_kicks's, and any other KJ that you will see this coming Saturday. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I would if I were you just get the Mopar skids and be done with it, even mud in Ohio has some rocks here and there, going off road you have small tree limbs etc wanting to attack you and punch holes in your hanging down parts Much better to have something than nothing. Now if its a mud pit just sit up for that purpose then maybe no skids , but like I said I have ran over ladders on the turn pike before and the skids did their thing and no I would not run aluminum skidplates trying to start an argument here |
|
| Author: | Boiler [ Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|