LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Lift ---venting--
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61366
Page 1 of 2

Author:  JumpsInPuddles [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 am ]
Post subject:  Lift ---venting--

I know I am not the first to go through this. I have always driven/ridden with a stock height... now, I am ready for a lift and the amount of info for someone new to the specifics of lifting is, at times, overwhelming. :banghead:

So much to learn and understand before getting to deep. It I had a limitless budget this would be easy. If I could wait and save up that would be easier... digging through the lint im my pockets to see what's the best lift for my useage, needs, and budget is a lot to ponder. just saying....

Everytime I think I've pieced together what would be best for me, I stumble on another threadsaying just why I would be mistaken. I wish there was a chart of what people use, why, what it cost, and how well it does what they need it to do.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great threads here... and I keep rereading them... sometimes picking up more info in a new light from a newly enlightened viewpoint. ...thanks for letting me vent.

I just want to 2-3" lift go to 245's or one size larger with stock wheels for light/moderate wheeling on the weekends in my daily driver staying in the 600-1000 range (including new rubber). Why can't there be a simple form to fill out that gives you the top three choice for your settings and pros/cons for each?

Author:  tonycrd [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

JumpsInPuddles wrote:
Why can't there be a simple form to fill out that gives you the top three choice for your settings and pros/cons for each?

That would take all the fun out of it. :ROTFL:

Have you read the LIFT FAQ? (I should update that someday, sorry about that, but if you read 'Billstein' for 'Rancho' you're up to date :wink: )That gives you an idea what we are talking about.

If you want looks: get a Daystar or Terraflex kit and some fancy wheels/ tires and be done with it.

If you really want to improve the handling of your JEEP get new springs and shocks.

That's basicaly it.

Author:  TAHOE [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

Shoot Tommudd a PM, he's done about every different front end combo there is.

Author:  infernicus [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

I think it all depends on how many miles you have..

Anything over ~30-40k, You need new springs and shocks.

It's like buying a new truck. And they last much longer than the original springs/shock.

If it isn't high enough for you add the "Clevis Lift" and maybe a spacer.

Enjoy!
8)


P.S. Go this route and never look back!

Author:  long_tall_texan [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

OK. Intro class in session.

Generally speaking, you can buy new OME springs and 4 new shocks shipped to your door for around 6-700 bucks. Depending on the deal of the week you happen to find. If you lurch around here long enough, you might find a smoking deal on some used OME springs from one of the members to save a little dough. Shocks - stick with a reputable off-road brand - Bilstein, Rancho, OME, SkyJacker. Some prefer one over the other, but that is usually just personal preference. OME springs say 1.5" lift, but it is actually more like 2.5-3" of lift. Add a clevis lift, and/or 1/4" top spacer plate to get a little more lift up front. Add an extra rear iso or two, or some of my ABS spacers in the back for extra lift back there. If you want max height, buy a FrankenLift, or build your own version of it piece-by-piece like tommudd and I have done.

BDS Springs are somewhat new to the KJ world. Less of them reported around here, but they all seem to have good reviews. They are a stronger spring rate than stock,

Spacer lifts are cheap. But you keep your worn-out springs. And yes, the stock springs really are pretty much toast after 40k miles. Many opinions on this, But any who have replaced OEM springs and shocks with new OME springs and 4 new shocks can tell you the ride is MUCH improved.

OEM Shocks are also toast after 40k miles or so. I noticed a huge improvement in ride when replacing my OEM shocks back when I was running Daystar spacer lift. Swapped shocks at around 30k miles. Huge improvement, even though I was still running OEM springs and Daystar spacer lift.

Rusty's Springs are also cheap. But they are the same spring rate as stock. They are very spongy for a lifted vehicle. Being the same spring rate as stock, they are also worn out in about 30-40k miles too. Yes people run them long past that, and are happy (they think). But try replacing the Rusty's springs with some OME HD springs and then ask them. I have done it. Night and day difference.

SkyJacker Soft Ride front springs are similar to Rusty's springs. Low spring rate and therefore soft. However, if you can find some of the original SkyJacker KJ lift springs like Troy (TJKJ2002) had before his SFA swap, they are good springs to have. Nice and stiff. Not sure how you tell the difference. Maybe Troy can tell us.

KJ Lifting 101 Class complete...

:JEEPIN:

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

Not quite LTT :roll:
But I'll preach another time :ROTFL:

jumpsinpuddles
actually I would have to say the KJ is one of the easiest to lift,
one of the least expensive for a good quality lift and
since there is only a couple of choices really you don't have to keep going back and forth on what to buy.

Author:  long_tall_texan [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

tommudd wrote:
Not quite LTT
But I'll preach another time :ROTFL:

Lol. I thought that was a pretty good into class.

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

It was, You did well grasshopper :wink:

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

Just go with a Frankenlift. Already put together and ready for install. Great for a beginner.

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

Tokyojoe wrote:
Just go with a Frankenlift. Already put together and ready for install. Great for a beginner.


X2 :JEEPIN:

Author:  JumpsInPuddles [ Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

Can I get a full Frankelift installed for under $800?!?!?

Author:  tommudd [ Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

No

Author:  ihatemybike [ Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

http://www.boulderbars.com/frankenlift.htm

Author:  dieseldoesit [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

Not trying to hijack, but if you don't want a lift, what springs and shocks are best to get? Are there aftermarket springs that are of good quality that don't give you a lift?

Author:  tonycrd [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

OME :wink:

Author:  dieseldoesit [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

tonycrd wrote:
OME :wink:

According to their product data, all of their springs are a 1.5" lift. I don't want / need a lift.

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

dieseldoesit wrote:
tonycrd wrote:
OME :wink:

According to their product data, all of their springs are a 1.5" lift. I don't want / need a lift.


If you want a better ride, a better spring, and better performance; then go with OME. It’s not much lift. Otherwise, there are no options for stock spring replacements that I know of.

Author:  2006 KJ [ Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

dieselenthusiast wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:
Just go with a Frankenlift. Already put together and ready for install. Great for a beginner.


X2 :JEEPIN:


X3 :JEEPIN: no clowning around.. its a few more bucks but it's the max amount of lift with top quality products and it comes assembled with great directions. never heard a complaint from a frankenlift owner.

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

2006 KJ wrote:
its a few more bucks


this is a vent thread right? :P don't perceive this as a slam, it's just a vent

i'm about to redo my suspension, so i checked out franks looking for the 790 setup

I can replace my entire suspension, rear UCA, all 4 rear LCA bushings, front fork bushings, get new front coil top plates, 4 coils, 4 shocks, new isos and replace my front uca bj's and lca bj's for the price of the 790 setup

was temped to just email them, tell them what i wanted, none of the fancy "proprietary" stuff, just new tops coils isos coils and shocks and how much they'ed charge for that but i dunno, had difficulty figuring out what the ones with 790s actually had going on the way it was worded.. made me feel stupid :P

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lift ---venting--

Buy pieces like I did and make a Franky gasser / 790 setup :wink:

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/