| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Installing JBA Arms http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75674 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | TexasRock [ Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Installing JBA Arms |
Is this a one person job? I have heard you need a second person to line up the arm so can thread the bolt. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
I've done them by myself before. Just have to hold the arm and reach up obver and start the bolt in. Once you get one in its pretty easy really |
|
| Author: | Cardhu [ Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:59 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
The back bolt is a pain in the booty solo. You will only require an assistant for 5 min total for both sides. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
Cardhu wrote: The back bolt is a pain in the booty solo. You will only require an assistant for 5 min total for both sides. On the left side start the front bolt in first then you can either use straps or something to "hold" the arm in location to install the rear Actually on mine ( since I always work in sandals or barefeet ) I was able to use my foot to move the rear around just enough to slide the bolt in first time while standing on a milk crate Hey now don't laugh it works great!
|
|
| Author: | KKnut [ Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | Installing JBA Arms |
Done this on my own too. Can't say I employed the skills of tommudd, was quite a stretch for my arms though. |
|
| Author: | surfRenegade [ Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:33 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
would you guys say these are the best upper front a arms? Im about to place an order and install myself |
|
| Author: | fortx4 KJ [ Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
These are the best arms on the market today. I 'm believer in jba products haven't had issues with anything I've ordered from them. Awesome customer service too! |
|
| Author: | u2slow [ Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
I put in RRO arms solo... no big deal. |
|
| Author: | surfRenegade [ Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
fortx4 KJ wrote: These are the best arms on the market today. I 'm believer in jba products haven't had issues with anything I've ordered from them. Awesome customer service too! Thanks for the backup on these. Ive been out of the loop for a while and wasnt sure if these where still the best. Placing order today! |
|
| Author: | surfRenegade [ Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
I apologize if this has been covered often, did a search and couldnt find an answer. After install of the new JBA A-Arms, do I need to get another alignment? Just had one about 3k miles ago. Also, the new arms have a different balljoint in them than factory. This one has a washer. What side of things does this washer go? Thanks Sam |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
Yes you'll need an alignment Yes JBAs are the best, there really isn't an option IMO Yours may not have that washer pictured in the ad, my last set I got here didn't |
|
| Author: | surfRenegade [ Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
tommudd wrote: Yes you'll need an alignment Yes JBAs are the best, there really isn't an option IMO Yours may not have that washer pictured in the ad, my last set I got here didn't Thanks Mudd. Yes I got them in and and they do have that washer. Quality looks very nice. Wasnt sure if the washer goes on the side with the ball joint or on the side with the nut. Looks like it goes against the ball joint since its the same diameter and the ball joint has a soft cover, would help protect it. Cant wait to get them on. There is so much play in my front end that if i go around a bend too tight the tires rub bad and cause the ESP to activate |
|
| Author: | fortx4 KJ [ Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
Tomm I was wondering how much space you have between the spring and a arm with the new set up? Do you have contact at full droop? Sorry for the hijack surf. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
fortx4 KJ wrote: Tomm I was wondering how much space you have between the spring and a arm with the new set up? Do you have contact at full droop? Sorry for the hijack surf. No spring contact Picture shows full drop, this is with the pockets cut out as well. I have it sitting at 23.25 inches middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare. In the picture it looks like its touching but its not SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than before. Just jacking mine up the UCAs would hit the springs as it went up. No contact now, no noises from the springs, better ride overall. ( which I didn't think was possible ) ![]() Normal ride height, before I couldn't even get a finger in between the spring and UCA. Don't look at the grease and dirt
|
|
| Author: | TheBlueKJ [ Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
tommudd wrote: fortx4 KJ wrote: Tomm I was wondering how much space you have between the spring and a arm with the new set up? Do you have contact at full droop? Sorry for the hijack surf. No spring contact Picture shows full drop, this is with the pockets cut out as well. I have it sitting at 23.25 inches middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare. In the picture it looks like its touching but its not SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than before. Just jacking mine up the UCAs would hit the springs as it went up. No contact now, no noises from the springs, better ride overall. ( which I didn't think was possible ) ![]() Normal ride height, before I couldn't even get a finger in between the spring and UCA. Don't look at the grease and dirt ![]() Your bumpstops! Where are your bumpstops!? |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
TheBlueKJ wrote: Your bumpstops! Where are your bumpstops!? Ah come on now you know where they are. I have some that I'm testing out, they are invisible until you buy them Had them out to be able to adjust everything, they're back in now |
|
| Author: | fortx4 KJ [ Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
| Author: | surfRenegade [ Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
I installed my new a-arms today and took it to a very reputable shop to get it aligned. My camber was crazy when I brought it there! After them working on it for a couple hours I got a call that it can not be aligned. The camber adjustment is at its max. The camber and toe are in spec but they are unable to get caster in spec. They told me to see if there is a camber kit for the lower arms. If not they will have to bore them out or something and its a huge process. Anyone have these issues? Not sure what to do. Ill post my allignment print out when I get it |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
surfRenegade wrote: I installed my new a-arms today and took it to a very reputable shop to get it aligned. My camber was crazy when I brought it there! After them working on it for a couple hours I got a call that it can not be aligned. The camber adjustment is at its max. The camber and toe are in spec but they are unable to get caster in spec. They told me to see if there is a camber kit for the lower arms. If not they will have to bore them out or something and its a huge process. Anyone have these issues? Not sure what to do. Ill post my allignment print out when I get it No camber kit out there and I wouldn't let them "bore" them out . Has to be another issue somewhere if they can't get it into alignment |
|
| Author: | surfRenegade [ Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Installing JBA Arms |
The only thing I can think of is that I installed the spacer washer incorrectly. The instructions from JBA had opposing instructions on this, so I went with the more detailed instructions. Was disappointing to see instructions like this. In the color photo it says the washer should be between the ball joint and the steering knuckle. Directly on the next page is this more detailed instruction showing it below the steering knuckle next to the stud nut. This is how I installed it. Thinking back on it, there was a very small gap between the ball joint and the steering knuckle...just figured that was the way the new ball joints worked since everything was torqued to spec ![]()
|
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|