It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Premium Audio Speaker Replacement.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:26 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:20 pm
Posts: 24
I have(had) the infinity setup in the Jeep and some tool decided to remove the front speakers and replace with 40w pioneers. Now as you can imagine, the volume is pretty low and starts bottoming out around 24.


I realize that the front speakers are self powered and was wondering if I could fit a component system and replace the front speakers. Actually, I just wanted to replace the mid for better mid range and vocals. I have no idea how the stock setup should sound, but I know that this is atrocious.


I suppose I could really add in an amplifier if I really needed to.


Any ideas?

_________________
3.7 KJ LTD
OME Lift
Bridgestone D697's
Thule Expedition Basket
Polk Audio
Decat and full system + Piggyback (145kw - 300nm)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Premium Audio Speaker Replacement.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:53 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Colfax, CA
Hey,

I actually replaced my speakers with aftermarket speakers but I kept the factory amps. I have seen the stock amps on e-bay and they weren't too expensive. When I removed my door speaker that was blown, I was shocked to find that the speakers had their own power source. It took me a little while to figure it out. I bought some adapters to go from the original 3 mounting screws to the four used on most speakers from e-bay and ended up not using them. I took the amp off the original speaker and mounted it to the bottom of the door where the speaker mounts. I can try and get some pics when I do the other door. Then I mounted the speaker to the door by drilling four mounting holes. I had just enough room. The window goes down normal and everything works great.

How did the person wire the newer speakers? Did he cut the harness for the amp to bypass it? If he did, you would have to find the original harness somewhere. It might be difficult. Kicker also makes a direct replacement speaker but you still have to have the amps. You can find them on ebay as well.

I hope this helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Premium Audio Speaker Replacement.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:45 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:20 pm
Posts: 24
i have a feeling its mounted to the oem amp. It also seems to be mounted to the inner door.

Im going to just replace the fronts with a set of components and run them off a separate amp which Ill probably mount under the rear seat.

Can anybody suggest some good sounding component speakers?

_________________
3.7 KJ LTD
OME Lift
Bridgestone D697's
Thule Expedition Basket
Polk Audio
Decat and full system + Piggyback (145kw - 300nm)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Premium Audio Speaker Replacement.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:54 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Colfax, CA
I am using some 360 W speakers I bought off E-bay. They work pretty good. Other than that, I will let someone else chime in who is more experienced with the speakers.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Premium Audio Speaker Replacement.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Cincinnati
I did a full audio replacement a year ago December, back when my liberty wasn't mine yet. I put in Sony separates up front, JL 6.5 2-ways in the rear, along with a Sony headunit and Alpine amp(50w x 4, mounted under the passenger seat). Install wasn't the hardest but you do need the speaker brackets(not cheap when you have to buy them last minute at Best Buy). I assume you have those already, so all you really need to worry about is the mounting of the dash tweeters, which you can get a bracket for, but a piece of the metal strapping people use for plumbing or conduit works just fine.

Because I knew people were having issues with self-powered speakers I had already decided to run new heavy gauge speaker wire to each speaker. It's a pain in the tail but really the best way to solve the problem. If you're not squeamish about pulling your interior apart and also happen to be patient with a wire hanger you can take care of this without too much trouble.

_________________
erik.
2002 Liberty Sport
5MT/3.7


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Premium Audio Speaker Replacement.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:11 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:42 pm
Posts: 235
I gutted the stock speakers and was able to use them as a mount for the new 6.5s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

_________________
Silver 05 sport crd-Ehm,Orm,wix oversized oilfilter,shell rotell,2nd gen fuelhead,Fumoto oil drain valve,muffler delete,cat removed,V6 airbox swap,evic added,HVAC controls modded, Franken lifted II,hercules Terra Tracs 245/75/16,Full l.e.d. interior swap,hayden fan clutch and nylon fan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com