LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Mounted BoulderBars and Front Hitch Today
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7866
Page 1 of 1

Author:  habitTrail [ Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Mounted BoulderBars and Front Hitch Today

I've had the BoulderBars for close to a year now and just got around to mounting them. I was waiting to buy an offset drill because of the close work in the frame area. I got a Craftsman 19.2V drill set. Regular and offset drill in one package. Mounting went okay. The bars sit flush metal to metal all the way around. Only one stripped self tapping screw. Don't know what I'm going to do, if anything, about that yet. I used the provided template to layout the holes and for some reason, the bars on the driver side sit slightly more forward than the other side. You would not even notice it unless looking for it though. Actually, I started mounting the bars last weekend and only had to drill and install the last twelve screws today.

Mounted a Reese front hitch. Removed the facia and had to drill one 1/2" hole on each side. I used an extra long screwdriver and tape in order to reach into and place the bolts in the frame rail. On reinstallation of the facia, I only have one slightly loose pop rivet. But, it is holding in place.

All in all, a very productive day. Only bleed once. A little nick to the cuticle of my left index finger.

So, what's next? Well ... I have a Mopar front skid and fuel tank skid that will be here next week. I'm still working out what to do about the other skids. Also, I have a DrawTite rear hitch just waiting to mount when I get the fuel tank skid. I already have a Hidden Hitch on the back, but want to replace it with the DrawTite because of the longer receiver on the DrawTite helping to clear the spare and the DrawTite having a greater load capacity.

This past week, I received a 48" Hi-Lift Extreme and all the associated do-dads for it that I had orderd. For some reason, the Hi-Lift Off-Road Kit is backordered and not even available direct from Hi-Lift.

Got a question about using the Hi-Lift as a winch.
If you were wheeling alone say, and became stuck and there was no tree to anchor to, what would you use. I don't think I want to invest in a Pull-Pal. Someone once suggested carrying a length of steel rebar to drive in the ground, but I don't know it that would work or not.

So, bottom line of this post is: Would you do anything about the one stripped self tapping screw on the BoulderBars and if so, what. And, what about the issue of winching with a Hi-Lift when there is no tree or other vehicle about.
TIA :D
Uh-oh, I meant to post this in the General Discussion area. Maybe I will get some reads and comments here though. I guess I'm just a little beat down and worn out after today, but it feels great. :D

Author:  opo [ Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Burry your spare :)

You can always burry your spare (or a log) in the ground using a shovel (that yoiu should be carrying since you are by yourself) and using something like a chocker (?) chain to conect it to your recovery device (hi-lift).

Or you can fab an anchor with t-shaped metal poles burry 3 -4 of them inline with your pull direction and using a chain to connect them toghether: connect the top of the first stick to the bottom of the second, the top of the second to the bottom of the third. You will anchor the hi-lift to the botom of the first pole, I hope I'm making sense.

Or, you can use stakes (several) to anchor (or nail) a chain to the ground and then connect the hi-lift to this "anchored" chain, etc. I used this once and it did work after I realized I should put the stakes (metal 10in long) at an angle oposite to the direction of the pull, otherwise the first stake kept comming out and then the second and so on.

I hope this give you some ideas. I remember of a site in NZ which have a lot of ideas for anchoring and winching when alone offroad. Look for the site www.landyonline.nz or something along these lines.

I think all of these will work but they require some work and time to set things right. But with some practice I think you can get it right in the first try.

A pull-pall should be easier to set, but with a Hi-lift you probably will need one full jack just to settle the anchor, and one or two to pull you out

Good luck,

Octavio

Author:  fireman1028 [ Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
if you were wheeling alone say, and became stuck and there was no tree to anchor to, what would you use



This might sound obvious but, dont go offroading alone. Also, I'm not trying to sound like a smart a**

Good example:
A group from Carolina LOST went to Uwharrie a couple of weekends ago. One of the trucks got stuck. Had it not of been for a HI-Lift and another KJ (used as an anchor point) it would have impossible for him to free himself alone.

Allen

Author:  Heather [ Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Mounted BoulderBars and Front Hitch Today

habitTrail wrote:
So, bottom line of this post is: Would you do anything about the one stripped self tapping screw on the BoulderBars....


Hi there... We'll send you a new self tapping screw. :D

Just send us an email with your shipping address to info@boulderbars.com and mention in your email that you can have a new screw sent to you no charge because Heather said so. :D 8)

Glad you got your Boulder Bars on after a year!!!! :shock:

Author:  Myke [ Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mounted BoulderBars and Front Hitch Today

Heather wrote:
habitTrail wrote:
So, bottom line of this post is: Would you do anything about the one stripped self tapping screw on the BoulderBars....


Hi there... We'll send you a new self tapping screw. :D

Just send us an email with your shipping address to info@boulderbars.com and mention in your email that you can have a new screw sent to you no charge because Heather said so. :D 8)

Glad you got your Boulder Bars on after a year!!!! :shock:



This is why so many people purchase from you. Awsome customer service.

Author:  habitTrail [ Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mounted BoulderBars and Front Hitch Today

Heather wrote:
habitTrail wrote:
So, bottom line of this post is: Would you do anything about the one stripped self tapping screw on the BoulderBars....


Hi there... We'll send you a new self tapping screw. :D

Just send us an email with your shipping address to info@boulderbars.com and mention in your email that you can have a new screw sent to you no charge because Heather said so. :D 8)

Glad you got your Boulder Bars on after a year!!!! :shock:

That is uncommonly generous Heather. Besides the BoulderBars, I have also gotten a couple of sets of Rancho shocks and a set of 2.5" Daystar pucks. Back when I did my lift, the Frankenlift was barely on the scene. It was not offered on the website at that time. I'm still running stock struts (with a spacer lift), but when the struts wear-out, you can bet I will give the Frankenlift package strong consideration. All J's customer service is second to none and I applaud you for that. Simply Awesome Heather! Thank You! :D

Author:  Heather [ Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hey..you're welcome, man!

Make sure you send me pics of your KJ after you have it all dressed. I'll put it on our customer rigs page!

BTW: Any of our customers who want their rig posted on our web site in the customers' rig section is more than welcome to send me their pics -- I'll post them for you! :)

Thanks for being such great customers and for being such great people too!

Author:  Skipperb [ Tue May 02, 2006 2:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hi there... We'll send you a new self tapping screw.

Just send us an email with your shipping address to info@boulderbars.com and mention in your email that you can have a new screw sent to you no charge because Heather said so.

Glad you got your Boulder Bars on after a year!!!!

So I gues it things like this that makes Bolder Bars the one that all outhers are compared to. ( WAIT) And they are the best anyway

Author:  spencevans [ Tue May 02, 2006 6:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

I need to get some of those boulder bars and a super skid. Congrats.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/