It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: TPMS valves from RockAuto. Way too much info.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:11 am
Posts: 141
Location: Virginia, East of Roanoke
'Too long, didn't read' version:
My Rock Auto TPMS valve stem assemblies don't communicate correct info from the spare tire position, no matter which wheel/tire assembly is mounted there.

Convoluted version, about how repair facilities don't have my confidence:
I had a TPMS dash light come on some time late last summer.
Finally bought TPMS valve stem assemblys from Rock Auto this spring.

Finally had them installed some time around June by a local Northern Virginia area tire store/auto repair chain.
Replaced all 5 valve stems, did 5 wheel tire rotation/balance, and some other stuff while I was there.

When I pick it up - TPMS light on dash is still on, and the overhead console (the one that tells me there's an issue but not individual tire pressures) informs me that the spare tire is low.
We check pressure, it's fine, they check and verify that the 5 valve stems are broadcasting the correct pressure at the correct frequency.
They tell me to drive it for 10-15 miles, it'll be fine.

2 Days, a dozen restarts, and 200 miles later, the light is still on, and the spare tire low message still pops up every restart.
So I take it back, and leave it for them to sort out.
We agree that they swap the mounted wheel/tire units to different corners, and try again.
We do this several times over several days, and the message always tells me that the spare tire pressure is low.

They tell me they have another (newer) location that has a (newer) computer scanner (with newer/more recent software) that will sort it out, so we make the arrangements for that to happen.
The newer location has the same issues, and doesn't know what to do, as the valve stems are still broadcasting OK, so it's just chalked up to be 'a real puzzler'.

I'm in the middle of moving from one end of the state to the other, so it's put on the back burner, again.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, my ABS/BAS/TCS lights start coming on at random after a hard thunderstorm.
This is accompanied by the ABS randomly locking up random wheels/brakes.
This occurs within a minute of starting, and continues until the vehicle is shut off.
I do a search on ABS issues here, and find several threads - I do diagnostics at home for bad rear wiring from the connector under the rear seat to the ABS sensors at the rear axle.
I discover that the thunderstorm/heavy rain has overwhelmed the sunroof drains, and while my carpet doesn't show 'wet', I could be raising catfish in the water trapped under it.

I gut the interior to dry it out for days, and the ABS problem stays random but constant every few minutes.
But the wires and connections all show good continuity.
So I make an appointment at the local Jeep dealer to diagnose the ABS/BAS/TCS issue, and figure out what the problem is with the TPMS.

It takes them $95 diagnostics and over an hour to come back and tell me that they think my ABS system has a problem, and they think it's one of the two rear sensors.
Which aren't in stock, but they'll have them some time in the next 2 days.

**And they inform me that TPMS valve assemblies from places like Rock Auto, and specifically NOT FROM JEEP SPECIFIC dealers, almost always show failure such as my 'Spare Low Pressure' issue because they wont communicate with the SKIM, and all they can do is replace all 5 valve assemblies with authorized Jeep parts.**

I order both rear ABS sensors from NAPA, and replace them the next morning, the brakes work great again.

I lack the ability to believe that the average tire store facility or Jeep dealer can figure stuff out.

But I still have no idea how to remedy the Spare Low Pressure issue.

Anyone have any info what to do besides ignore it or start randomly changing out parts?
I've been reading my factory service manuals for a while, but lack access to diagnostic equipment that the local Jeep mechanics don't seem to be able to know how to use....

_________________
'06 Liberty Limited CRD.
149K miles.
- Timing belt done.
- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TPMS valves from RockAuto. Way too much info.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 7455
Location: Central GA
When my one of my tire sensors was damaged by a tire store, I replaced it with one from O'reilly's and put it on spare location and OBC would never would pick it up for some dumb reason. The new sensor from O'reilly's was a VDO and looked exactly 100% just like the OEM one. Ended up having to take it to the dealer where I bought the Jeep and they connected the ODBIII and programed it and checked all four others as well and it has been working just fine every since. They did charge me for this since I have bought several vehicles from them!
Note: I have also had a flat and had to put spare on ground and put bad tire on spare location for a day and all sensors reacted correctly...

The dealer telling you aftermarket TPM's will not communicate with the OBC is pure hogwash!!! :roll:
I recently worked for a dealer in the parts department and we stocked TPMS purchased from the local parts store to sell to customers in non-warranty or on other brand vehicles since the factory OEM TPMS cost was several times more expensive than aftermarket ones. We did this to help customers with keeping prices low and never had a problem getting the aftermarket TPMS to function correctly! Your dealer is trying to fleece you with that BS!!!! :twisted:
I WOULD RUN AWAY FROM THEM AS FAST AS I COULD!!!------------>>>>

_________________
Supporting Vendor and Moderator of LOST
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Ironman Springs/Bilstein/Shocks
Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com