LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

2007 Liberty rear noise
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85361
Page 1 of 1

Author:  9nNancy [ Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:49 am ]
Post subject:  2007 Liberty rear noise

Hi all,
07 Liberty with 150,000 ish. The rear brake pads needed replaced, so we did that. We then started noticing a sound: only way I can describe is WHOOOOOOMP, WHOOOOMP. It does it with no warning sometimes, but mainly after it has set for many hours (end of work day, and when leaving in morning for work). Sometimes it will do it at other times, but this is the main time frame. I also notice that it does it most of the time when you turn left. Sometimes straight or right...but almost always only when turning left...even out of a parking space. We noticed last week that it got much louder for a time too.

Backing up here though: a week or so after replacing the pads, one brake was getting hot so I put a new caliper on it (noise had already started). Thinking that there may be a rotor issue causing this noise, I put new rotors on both sides as well. I also ripped out everything that had to do with the e-brake...it was all rusted and worthless anyway. Tore off dust covers as well thinking maybe they were rubbing. After all of that, the noise is still there. I can't say that we never noticed it before the initial brake job, but I don't remember if we did. It's been doing this for about a month now, and I can't figure out what is going on. I can't really tell what side either, but maybe drivers side. Don't know if brake or other issue. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Author:  mass-hole [ Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

Is it speed dependent? I had a noise that would get quite loud around 50mph then would get quiet again once it was above 60mph. Turned out that the rear u joint on the rear driveshaft was very worn at only 70k miles.

The joints on the front driveshaft(from transfer case to front diff) are also notorious for going.

Author:  9nNancy [ Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

Doesn't seem to be at certain speeds. Notice at all, and even when going slow...like when pulling out of a parking space. Rebuilt front driveshaft early this year and u joints for rear late last year. This seems to act differently. Not sure.

Author:  WWDiesel [ Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

Noise when turning, most likely a CV joint problem... :roll:

Author:  9nNancy [ Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

Sounds like it's coming from the rear though?

Author:  WWDiesel [ Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

9nNancy wrote:
Sounds like it's coming from the rear though?

Noises can be very misleading, when I first got my Jeep (used) I kept hearing a popping noise every time I ran over a bump and I could have sworn it was coming from the rear. I even replaced the rear upper control boomerang thinking it was bad. Inside the car, the noise sounded just like it was coming from the rear and I would have bet money on it!!!
Ended up being the front right upper control arm ball joint was worn out and loose making the popping noise; I replaced it and noise was gone! :roll:

Author:  9nNancy [ Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

That is interesting for sure. I will check that out and let you know. Thanks for the help!

Author:  9nNancy [ Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

So I ended up taking it to the shop so they could diagnose the problem, and I could fix it. Come to found out, they said it is definitely a noise coming from a rear brake, but they cannot tell what is causing the problem. They said it all looks okay, but the noise is coming from something that has to do with the brake. It has new pads, rotors, and a new caliper on one side...I don't know what else I can do except replace the other caliber and maybe new clips.

Any ideas or suggestions? BTW, the shop I took it to is very reputable, and I have used them for years with issues I couldn't figure out, or didn't want to mess with.

Author:  flash7210 [ Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

Then its either the parking brake shoes are dragging or the axle bearings are worn out.

Author:  9nNancy [ Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

Can't be the parking brake because I ripped all of that stuff out of it when replacing the brakes...they were all rusted, etc. Guess I'll see if it is the bearings then...nothing else it could be I guess, but I would have thought the shop would have said something about the bearings.

Author:  9nNancy [ Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

Bringing this topic back up, but the noise is still there and has gotten worse. Like I said in the previous post, the shop said it was with the brakes. I know it was mentioned on here that it may be the axle bearings. However, its now making the moaning noise in the rear and now in the front passenger side as well. It's a moaning noise...whoooomp, whoooomp, at usually only does it AFTER LETTING OFF the brake pedal. Will sometimes do it when pressing the brake pedal...mostly when its cold and hasn't been running down the road (pulling out of driveway). Anyway, it still makes the noise when turning left, but now it does it almost all of the time...straight, right, whatever. Come to a stop, take off, and whoooomp, whoooomp.

I have no idea here. As you can see from my original post, many new brake parts...could this be a caliper sliding/bracket issue?

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2007 Liberty rear noise

as easy as the sliders are to check it's worth a check and regrease of the sliders and see if it makes any difference what so ever in when and how much you hear the noise, if it was a severe drag like flipped or stuck pins, or what not youll likely have measurable difference in the thickness of the rear pads based on how long it seems that youve been driving it with the noises , my guess is since you hear(d) it most when turning left, if its a caliper thats persisting pressure after you let off the brakes, itll probably be the right rear since it travels the farthest on a left turn

may be helpful if you havent already to bleed/flush the rear brake lines , if not all of them

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/