LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Powertrax No-Slip/Detroit True-Trac
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8729
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Albert [ Sat May 20, 2006 10:16 am ]
Post subject:  Powertrax No-Slip/Detroit True-Trac

Thinking about a rear locker.

What I'm looking for is good road manners and good off-road ability. Everything I've seen seems to indicate that the No-Slip is better off-road but some banging and popping on road. The True-Trac is more seamless on the road and not as good off-road? Has any one had experience with both?

Thanks for your input.

Author:  jake105 [ Sat May 20, 2006 1:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

The Tru-track is a limited slip not a locker. Just as you stated ther tru track is a more stable platform for on and off road but a locker is definetely a plus for offroad. The tru track has no friction clutches which is a plus, nothing to wear out. Any traction aiding device is much better than none. I am looking at the tru track for my front diff.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Sat May 20, 2006 1:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

I run the truetrac in the front of my KJ and love,really helps pull you along.I also run a ARB air locker in the rear,really love it but don't need to engage it often with the truetrac up front.As far as onroad manners I can't even tell it's there until I engage 4 wheel drive,no bangs or pops,no chirping the tires going around corners.Thr truetrac on costs about $150 more then the powertrax but it's worth it in the long run,Detroit made a really good product.Just my 2 cents though.

Author:  the1jferg [ Sat May 20, 2006 3:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Albert asked: "Has any one had experience with both? "


Yes, I have a poor-crax in the rear of my KJ and a detroit tru-trac in the rear of my chevy. The tru-trac is about as good as a locker especially in the KJ where you can modulate the emergency brake handle real easy getting it to apply plenty of force. Tru-trac is a powerful device.

The No-Slip is an off road beast and simple to install. :D :D :D :D

Road manners are not comparable. Tru-trac is cream of the crop man.

Any Flamers?...Talk to the hand, My ears ain't listening....I can call it like I see it, use it, spent $$$ on it...All my Love :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Sat May 20, 2006 6:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

the1jferg wrote:
Albert asked: "Has any one had experience with both? "


Yes, I have a poor-crax in the rear of my KJ and a detroit tru-trac in the rear of my chevy. The tru-trac is about as good as a locker especially in the KJ where you can modulate the emergency brake handle real easy getting it to apply plenty of force. Tru-trac is a powerful device.

The No-Slip is an off road beast and simple to install. :D :D :D :D

Road manners are not comparable. Tru-trac is cream of the crop man.

Any Flamers?...Talk to the hand, My ears ain't listening....I can call it like I see it, use it, spent $$$ on it...All my Love :lol: :lol: :lol:


No, im not going to flame, its all true. :)

Author:  krazz1e [ Sat May 20, 2006 9:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

truetrac is a great "locker". It's quit, strong and works when you need it. It's not a true locker as described, and takes some knowledge of how to operate it.

All in all, I would do a powertrax over truetrac for rear. Yeah the powertrax is a little loud sometimes but it works extermly well and is 3-4x stronger than the open diff parts. It's cheaper too.

Hey if you wheel it get the powertrax. If you don't and you just want more tracation for "hauling/towning" then get the tt.

Now for the front, TT is the best IMO. ARB is another options but try turning on slick rock fully locked.....

Author:  jason thompson [ Sun May 21, 2006 9:42 am ]
Post subject: 

i have a very good base for a comparison as far as tru-trac vs locker
i have a tj with an arb front and track loc rear on 30"s
have been on the trail with a guy who had a tj tru-trac's front and rear and 33"s
both rigs were auto so no need for the 3 pedal trick
on every obstical that would lift a front tire and make one rear very light there was no hope for the guy with tru-tracs but i just drove right through
rember that when you apply the brake it works on both tires the same almost defeating the purpose unless 1 wheel is completly off the ground
knowing that i would not spend my hard earned $$$$ on a limited slip but rather on a locker
if you dont have the $$$ for an ARB the look at the detroit soft locker i know several folks who have them in their rigs and love them they still have some funny road manners like the power trax but not nearly as much noise

Author:  DaveKJ02 [ Sun May 21, 2006 9:55 am ]
Post subject: 

I really wanted an ARB but I'm only halfway there as far as saving funds and that doesnt include the compressor. I think I'm going to go with the Powertrax in the rear instead. I need a locker like yesterday (literally)! What's everyone mean by "easy" for an install? I do a lot of work myself, but have never done anything in the pumpkin. Any meshing and shimming and aligning and all that junk?

Author:  the1jferg [ Sun May 21, 2006 10:50 am ]
Post subject: 

You WILL have to learn the ebrake trick not some kinda 3 pedal jobber. The ebrake only applys enough pressure to the REAR to engage it. If you use the regular brakes , you are applying massive resistance to the whole scenerio.

if you get one wheel off the ground with a tru trac, Light ebrake, it will pull you thru like a locker. 1st hand experience.

If you can get used to the No-slip there are many reasons to make it your choice over the tru-trac. Road manners is the ONLY reason not to.

No-slip is easy man....Unless you have a slightly off center DANA 35 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  DarbyWalters [ Mon May 22, 2006 2:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

True-Trac up front is definitely the way to go...is preset from the factory with load...acts almost like a locker without fooling it with the brake trick.

The No-Slip in the rear is awesome offraod but it a little hard on the carrier bearings over the long term on road.

I think a cheap/trick setup would be the True-Trac up front and the Auburn LSD in the rear. Would cause no problems on road and would be great offroad. If you have an auto tranny, it would be very easy to tap the brake and engage the rear LSD.

The main concern I have for the locker ( arb excluded ) is that if you loan your KJ to anyone that doesn't understand what a rear locker can do...they drive in the rain and end up swapping ends before they know it.

Author:  JJsTJ [ Mon May 22, 2006 3:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

DarbyWalters wrote:

I think a cheap/trick setup would be the True-Trac up front and the Auburn LSD in the rear. Would cause no problems on road and would be great offroad. If you have an auto tranny, it would be very easy to tap the brake and engage the rear LSD.



I have that combo in my XJ and it works great on every trail or obstacle I have thrown at it. Though the Powertrax in the rear of my wifes KJ works well off road, it is a PITA driving around town w/ all the noise and quirkiness of it. I think an ARB is in it's future.

Author:  jason thompson [ Mon May 22, 2006 7:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

you folks can say what you want fact is a tru-trac is a LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL not a locker period end of story
a power trax ,detroit soft LOCKER, ARB air LOCKER ect. are all lockers and will give positive lock up every time
by the nature of the LSD's they will never be as good as a locker when you lift a wheel off the ground period

this is not opinion this is fact as per the mfg or any of the differential supply houses you pick
call them and ask they will tell you the same thing
if you plan to wheel hard then a lsd just wont cut it no matter what you do unless you stay in mud but if you hit the rocks and the "good" trails then a locker is a must

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Mon May 22, 2006 8:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Holy Shnickies! It's Darby! Heya!


Okay.....good education from all this info. Of course we always end up talking about these items over and over agian, but to me, this subject never gets dull.

Ideally (keeping the stock aluminum front diff), it sounds like: ARB in rear and either ARB or perhaps a Trac Lok in front.

Author:  hoku5 [ Tue May 23, 2006 12:27 am ]
Post subject:  Powertrax no slip/Detroit true-trac

I agree with JJsKJ it is a great combination I've had this setup for 3 years
went through some hard hard trails in Moab and here in southern Cal. I didn't have the $$$ for ARB's so went with this setup. Worked great for me. I've gone on the same trails with other KJs with ARB's.
Nolan

Author:  allyrand [ Tue May 23, 2006 12:41 am ]
Post subject: 

I ran the power trax rear and true trac up front for over 2 years..was a great combo...I never had a problem....if ARBs are out of your price range this is the next best combo

Author:  Calvin56 [ Tue May 23, 2006 2:01 am ]
Post subject: 

jason thompson wrote:
you folks can say what you want fact is a tru-trac is a LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL not a locker period end of story


but...but...but locker is so much easier to type then all that :-p I guess we could just say we're runnin LSD :lol:

Anyway- I've got a Truetrac up front and a power trax rear. I like the popping. Especially when I get to tell people: "No, its supposed to sound like that ."

Author:  the1jferg [ Tue May 23, 2006 9:35 am ]
Post subject:  "Limited Locker"

Calvin said: "No, its supposed to sound like that ." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would actually give Tru-trac the title "Limited Locker" instead of LSD :shock:

We know its not a true "Locker" Its about as close as you are going to get though without stepping up to the ECTED or Electrac which are LSD until you flip the switch.

The torque biasing on a trutrac appears far greater in reverse than forward. This is why the fronts and rears are not interchangeable, and why my truck likes to reverse out of obstacles even when it looks totally hopeless.

You can pull the vehicle through an obstacle with only one wheel on the ground by using compensation braking

Sand is where it does very well too. it doesn't affect your directional abilities.

Using the geared action it transmits considerably more traction than the old clutch units.

Author:  Edwin [ Wed May 24, 2006 12:03 am ]
Post subject: 

DarbyWalters wrote:
True-Trac up front is definitely the way to go...is preset from the factory with load...acts almost like a locker without fooling it with the brake trick.

The No-Slip in the rear is awesome offraod but it a little hard on the carrier bearings over the long term on road.

I think a cheap/trick setup would be the True-Trac up front and the Auburn LSD in the rear. Would cause no problems on road and would be great offroad. If you have an auto tranny, it would be very easy to tap the brake and engage the rear LSD.

The main concern I have for the locker ( arb excluded ) is that if you loan your KJ to anyone that doesn't understand what a rear locker can do...they drive in the rain and end up swapping ends before they know it.




I'm glad to see yer still lookin in from time to time. :wink:

Author:  krazz1e [ Wed May 24, 2006 5:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

tt is > than tracloc. It will lock up 50/50%.

Author:  moose [ Thu May 25, 2006 10:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

krazz1e wrote:
tt is > than tracloc. It will lock up 50/50%.


Sorry, I don't understand this. Could you put this in newbie terms.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/