LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

'08 KK to be lifted....
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=69820
Page 1 of 1

Author:  BeachKK [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:41 am ]
Post subject:  '08 KK to be lifted....

Hello dudes!! So my wife has a '08 KK and is now wanting to lift it. So I am looking at either Daystar or RK lift. As I don't want another trail rig...I already have a '01 Xterra w/ $15K or more of mods.
Chevy towing the X :D
Image

Now the completely stock KK
Image

So w/ the 2 lifts for the KK...I am looking at stuffing 245/75/16s or can I go a tad bigger?
The Jeep will be a DD, beach driving down in OBX and very light trail riding.

BTW I am the president of Virginia Off Road. Come check us out.
http://www.va4x4.com

Great site!! Finding lots of great info on here for the Liberty.

Author:  lfhoward [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

Welcome to LOST, BeachKK! :JEEPIN: I have an '08 KK that I want to lift, but I'm holding out for a JBA or OME lift. It's my DD, and I've heard that those spacer lifts (though less expensive) make for a harsh ride and wear out your springs quickly. A lot of folks who started out with the spacer lifts on their KK's got rid of them in short order. There's a ton of info on lifts available on this site, and lots of folks willing to share their experiences with all sorts of different set-ups.

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

Welcome to LOST!!

Go full spring lift / ride will be 1000 times better than it is now and your wife will enjoy it so much more
4 springs/ 4 shocks 750 or so
easy install
OME springs
check out jeepinbyal or AllJs for the springs and shocks

RK=junk

Author:  JeepNCrowd [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

I went daystar until I can afford the JBA 4" lift, it will be my gift to myself for graduating. I have some trips coming up and I simply could not wait the few years of saving for the JBA. It will come in time though. I have been thoroughly satisfied with the Daystar to date and have not noticed any change in ride quality. Had it on for about 3 months. Even if it does somehow cause the suspension to sag prematurely, I plan on replacing it in the next 2-3 years anyway.

Author:  BeachKK [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

tommudd wrote:
Welcome to LOST!!

Go full spring lift / ride will be 1000 times better than it is now and your wife will enjoy it so much more
4 springs/ 4 shocks 750 or so
easy install
OME springs
check out jeepinbyal or AllJs for the springs and shocks

RK=junk


Ahhh OK thanks!!! I can do that :mrgreen:
So what size tires can I stuff under the KK w/ that set up?

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

will get 2.5 to 3 inches depending
245-75-16s
works well don't have to worry about re-gearing etc

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

JeepNCrowd wrote:
I went daystar until I can afford the JBA 4" lift, it will be my gift to myself for graduating. I have some trips coming up and I simply could not wait the few years of saving for the JBA. It will come in time though. I have been thoroughly satisfied with the Daystar to date and have not noticed any change in ride quality. Had it on for about 3 months. Even if it does somehow cause the suspension to sag prematurely, I plan on replacing it in the next 2-3 years anyway.

3 months is not enough time, wait 6-8 months
not many last over a year before they are completely bagged out
Talk to Ted15 he was satisfied for a short time as well
then the switch came and i highly doubt you could ever get him to run a spacer lift again

I hate to see people waste money when it doesn't costs much more to do it right the first time :wink:
Ted out doing his thing last weekend thought I had one of his on level ground
Image

Author:  JeepNCrowd [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

I'll just have to hope they lost longer. The JBA 4" struts alone cost over $1K plus all the other stuff. It totals at $3,142.45 for everything according to the website. Either way I cant afford to get it yet, and wont be able to until I finish all my schooling. And as you suggest I want to get good quality when I start getting that expensive. The $200 for lift and installation together is a good band aid, at least for me.
Even though people report that the spacer causes premature sag, I believe (I am no expert) that it is actually caused by the operator driving more aggressively and placing more stress on the vehicle. The off roading is, IMO, what actually wears out the factory springs prematurely. I can not see how the actual spacer compresses the spring any more than stock. If my theory is right then my springs would wear out prematurely anyway. Thus the importance of a full suspension change. I of course could be wrong. And think it would be interesting to see the compared sag on two KKs of the same year run on the same trails one with spacer lift and one stock as control.

Is the KJ frankenlift compatible on the KK?

Author:  BeachKK [ Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

tommudd wrote:
will get 2.5 to 3 inches depending
245-75-16s
works well don't have to worry about re-gearing etc


Thanks dude

Looks like I will be going that route and some A/Ts Goodyear or BFGs. I have MTRs on the Nissan and love them. They really stick to the rocks. But my wife doesn't need anything like that. Also will be looking into some skid plates and the tow hooks for the front and rear.

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

JeepNCrowd wrote:
I'll just have to hope they lost longer. The JBA 4" struts alone cost over $1K plus all the other stuff. It totals at $3,142.45 for everything according to the website. Either way I cant afford to get it yet, and wont be able to until I finish all my schooling. And as you suggest I want to get good quality when I start getting that expensive. The $200 for lift and installation together is a good band aid, at least for me.
Even though people report that the spacer causes premature sag, I believe (I am no expert) that it is actually caused by the operator driving more aggressively and placing more stress on the vehicle. The off roading is, IMO, what actually wears out the factory springs prematurely. I can not see how the actual spacer compresses the spring any more than stock. If my theory is right then my springs would wear out prematurely anyway. Thus the importance of a full suspension change. I of course could be wrong. And think it would be interesting to see the compared sag on two KKs of the same year run on the same trails one with spacer lift and one stock as control.

Is the KJ frankenlift compatible on the KK?


2.5 -3 inch lift for 750 or so sure if you think you need 4 inch lift plus it will cost more
Driving it down the road puts as much strees on suspension as anything , you don't have to go off road to wear out a suspension . You are all wrong
Sorry facts are facts. I've had ones come to my place that have never been off road yet are sagged over 1.5 inches so explain that!!
Spacer lift and stock shocks are just going to wear things out faster.

Author:  striperman36 [ Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

tommudd wrote:

2.5 -3 inch lift for 750 or so sure if you think you need 4 inch lift plus it will cost more
Driving it down the road puts as much strees on suspension as anything , you don't have to go off road to wear out a suspension . You are all wrong
Sorry facts are facts. I've had ones come to my place that have never been off road yet are sagged over 1.5 inches so explain that!!
Spacer lift and stock shocks are just going to wear things out faster.



Where can I get a 2.5 inch lift for from KJ CRD for 750? that doesn't sag overtime?

Author:  cgass [ Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

striperman36 wrote:

Where can I get a 2.5 inch lift for from KJ CRD for 750? that doesn't sag overtime?

Check Jeepin By Al. http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-OME_1_50__lift_kit-799.aspx

All lifts will sag over time too, just the spacer lifts greatly accelerate the process.

Author:  TwoBobsKJ [ Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: '08 KK to be lifted....

JeepNCrowd wrote:
I'll just have to hope they lost longer. The JBA 4" struts alone cost over $1K plus all the other stuff. It totals at $3,142.45 for everything according to the website. Either way I cant afford to get it yet, and wont be able to until I finish all my schooling. And as you suggest I want to get good quality when I start getting that expensive. The $200 for lift and installation together is a good band aid, at least for me...


The JBA lift you're looking at is their full-on custom 4" lift - way more than most people will ever need. Not saying it's a bad lift - even Marlin markets it as the "Mercedes Benz" of lifts.

As Tom said, for $800 you can get a full spring/shock setup that will give you 2.5 - 3" of lift with enough room for 245/75-16's and a ride that is much better than stock. Save a couple hundred bucks a month and in 3-4 months you have a lift that will shock you at how much better than the spacer lift. The pic below shows how a spacer lift stacks the coils within the confines of the shock - thereby destroying them. BTW, this pic is from an '06 Liberty with an ARB bumper in front. Was at a dealership to get a new front flare cuz when the owner hit a bump the tire hit the flare and - KABOOM! - off flew the flare.

Image

Bob

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/