LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Hello, I am Jeremiah from La Crosse, Wisconsin!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=79291
Page 1 of 1

Author:  TigWelder [ Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:24 am ]
Post subject:  Hello, I am Jeremiah from La Crosse, Wisconsin!

Flew to Greensboro, NC for a graduation and ended up finding an '06 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited 4x4 automatic transmission with 103,000 miles on it. Paid $9,500 for it. Mint condition. Check engine light was not on during test drive, but came on for the salesman after he filled it with fuel. He said he thinks he didn't tighten the fuel cap all the way. My wife and I vaguely remember him saying the jeep died on him at a stop light. I wasn't a bit concerned about this. I've owned diesels before, '01 and '02 cummins pickups, '98 E300 Mercedes and a late 70's 240d Mercedes. The Jeep CRD ran great and runs great now. Did an oil change the next day with Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil. Then drove it 1050 miles in 16 hrs back to WI. I averaged 28.5 mpg, wish i knew about the off road mod. i would have unplugged the MAF sensor for sure. we've had it a couple weeks now and only 2 weird things have happened. The ride home from NC, driver side window would almost stop going up when closing it, but hasn't done it since then. 2nd thing, I needed to start the jeep up and move it about 40 feet, i started it, put it in drive moved ahead 40 feet and started to brake to a stop and it wouldn't come out of gear and the engine wouldn't die so i quickly shifted into neutral before hitting my garage door. That hasn't happened again, but do you think maybe that happened to the salesman at the stop light? If so would that have turned the check engine light on? I took the jeep to Advance Auto parts and Autozone to read the code and both places couldn't find a code. Thanks for taking the time to read this and the wife and I realy like diesels and these look realy easy to work on(timing belt is gonna be a cake walk). Thanks and take care.

Author:  WWDiesel [ Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello, I am Jeremiah from La Crosse, Wisconsin!

Welcome to the forum Jeremiah. :!:
Lots of very good information on this forum, just read some of the posts or do a search for a particular subject. :wink:
Be sure and read Sams Newbie guide at: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

As to your question about the transmission shutter and stall, it is a know issue and there are a few work-arounds.
I solved this problem last year by slightly overfilling the transmission as suggested by some others on this forum who had already figured the problem out. I trimmed about 3/8 off the dipstick also so it would go all the way into the tube and stay there (another known problem). After filling the transmission to slightly over the full marked hot while it was cold using the shortened dipstick, the shutter and lockup after just cranking it up and driving a couple hundred feet or so completely disappeared. I quickly learned to shift it into "N" to stop the shutter and stall before I learned of the overfill trick. :wink:
I learned from my good friend and local transmission specialist, the problem that causes the shutter and stall is some of the valves & bores in the the front pump assembly were worn out causing the plungers to stick. :roll:
I recently had the front pump and housing replaced with a new one along with a Transgo kit while the tranny was out to install a Suncoast TC. Since then, I have never encountered any more shutter, lockup, or engine stall after starting and driving a short distance... :pepper:
WW

Author:  Leeann [ Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello, I am Jeremiah from La Crosse, Wisconsin!

Welcome!

Author:  TigWelder [ Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hello, I am Jeremiah from La Crosse, Wisconsin!

Thanks for the info. I will definitely add some more fluid then.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/