It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:05 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 19
Hi guys

what a fantastic forum I wish I had all this support when i owned my first CRD, before i lemon lawed it.

Alittle about my self, I live in Minnesota and recently found this website while looking up some specs i wanted to compare the torque numbers from the liberty to the new Ram ecodiesel and the upcoming Chevy colorado. I was considering buying one or the other. And much to my amazement there are now fixes and workarounds for all the problems i suffered through with my old CRD. My old 05 CRD was the best motor i've ever had hooked up to the worst transmission/torque converter i've ever had.
After some research and a lot of thought I bought Sailwa66's Jeep CRD from Lost's For Sale section, rather than shelling out the money for a new truck. Its a great jeep it was amazingly taken care of and he really spent some time fixing all the little problems that plagued the Jeeps from the factory.

Needless to say I"m really happy to be back into a Jeep and glad to have all this knowledge and help from the LOST members.

Thanks guys
Doug

the current look, but soon to change
Image

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:01 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Devilmonkey wrote:
Hi guys

what a fantastic forum I wish I had all this support when i owned my first CRD, before i lemon lawed it.

Alittle about my self, I live in Minnesota and recently found this website while looking up some specs i wanted to compare the torque numbers from the liberty to the new Ram ecodiesel and the upcoming Chevy colorado. I was considering buying one or the other. And much to my amazement there are now fixes and workarounds for all the problems i suffered through with my old CRD. My old 05 CRD was the best motor i've ever had hooked up to the worst transmission/torque converter i've ever had.
After some research and a lot of thought I bought Sailwa66's Jeep CRD from Lost's For Sale section, rather than shelling out the money for a new truck. Its a great jeep it was amazingly taken care of and he really spent some time fixing all the little problems that plagued the Jeeps from the factory.

Needless to say I"m really happy to be back into a Jeep and glad to have all this knowledge and help from the LOST members.

Thanks guys
Doug

the current look, but soon to change
Image


Welcome to LOST
are you doing away with the wheel / tire combo? I think I saw that somewhere else
Interested in the wheels

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 19
ya i'm currently looking for some cherokee Icon rims and i'm leaning wards the skinny tire look. I"m hoping it will handle better on the icy minnesota roads. I"m leaning towards 215/85R16 depending on how they handle and ride.
I'm hoping to get some feedback from guys that have tried them or are still running them like geordi. Although the color of the rims has grown on me.


Now i'm just waiting for summer so i can bolt up some new toys

currently on my list and waiting for better weather:
bolt up bullbar
get the remote start and new Android radio installed
get new tires and rims (i'm looking for ICONS if anybody has any for sale)
install the 2014 cherokee front seats i pick up off of craigslist. (that will be nice :D )
maybe fix the rust on the doors

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
KJs came with a very similar wheel , maybe easier to find
Personally think that narrow of a tire looks off on a KJ but ...
What do you know about the current wheels on it? Looks like what I have been thinking about getting possibly.
Any other pictures or know width/backspacing??
Thanks

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 19
Here are some more pics
http://s122.photobucket.com/user/sailwa66/slideshow/jeep?sort=9

as for the rims
5x7 Wheel Vintiques Rallye-style wheels, e-coated and powdercoated
5" back spacing? (not positive on that)
Baby Moon hub caps with vintage ‘Jeep’ logos

i actually started to like the rims and color after a month of owning it..... i'll almost hate to see them go

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 19
I"m trying to go with a more friendly long distance runner since this will be towing my ATV's across country
I figured a little less in width and a little less aggressive tread pattern would help

i've been scouring around looking for either Icons or 16" Moabs .... they're both tough to find

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
I know next to nothing about wheels, other than less weight and how aerodynamic they are makes a significant difference. I'm looking to go with that size as well, and probably going to run a LRR for the summer. But, I wonder if there are narrower wheels as well to compliment the 215's? From what I read on Ecomodder, reducing the tire and wheel weight, and a narrower profile, and LRR tires might give some significant gains. I'm hoping for 3 mpg over my 245/70/16 Cooper all terrains.

Hopefully all season wimpy tires hold up to the rocky roads I fly through. The LRR tires should be harder than AT tires rubber, for what that is worth?

They said on ecomodder that up to half of the drag is from tires, but where the width really matters is at highway speeds. I think those classic jeep wheels might be a nice compromise between looks and drag. Thanks for the pics!

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 19
Thanks Mountainman

By the way how do you like your GDE trans tune?
i was thinking of getting that next.

ohh and you got an electric fan?
are you trying to hypermile? what are you getting for MPG? did the electric fan help at all?

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2663
Location: Boise, Idaho
anytime :JEEPIN:

the trans tune helps a lot by keeping rpms lower. I am trying to get the most mileage out of it, but still want to be able to drive through terrible mountain roads, and deep snow. I'll be running studded snow tires in the winter, with chains once I'm off-road. I haven't tracked my mileage since the computer was programmed for 32's from the PO (which were too big), but I'm sure I've made some descent gains. More important to me, getting rid of the mech fan made it where I can actually keep an eye on things, work on stuff easily, and removed two or three points of failure + 2 or 3 parts I don't have to pay to replace periodically. If you check the bearings on the fan pulley, unless it has been replaced, I'm willing to bet they are bad on most everyones CRD's. I got one crd that it blew up and the fan ate the radiator. Luckily it didn't destroy anything else. And then, you've got the problem of it overcooling most of the time, because it always runs, especially a problem in the winter.
I also have a warm air intake (just pull the plastic bit off the air-box) which gives a slight mpg gain, and I don't want it sucking cool air, unless I'm towing something really heavy in the summer. So removing the mech fan helped a tiny bit there also.
I'll eventually post my mpg when I've got my new grill block installed, the Turbodieselfreak stat installed, LRR tires, and a gps to track my real mileage.

My goal is to average 30 mpg, and that's with a lot of offroading. Probably won't get there, but maybe I can get a 40+ mpg tank at 60mph on the highway someday.

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:05 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Devilmonkey wrote:
I"m trying to go with a more friendly long distance runner since this will be towing my ATV's across country
I figured a little less in width and a little less aggressive tread pattern would help

i've been scouring around looking for either Icons or 16" Moabs .... they're both tough to find


Moabs are 8 inches wide and would not work with the skinner tires you are wanting to run.

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 19
really? i thought they were 7 inches....
well depending on what i get for a rim might decied what tire i'm getting


thanks tom

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:16 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:26 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Ashland, OR
Devilmonkey wrote:
install the 2014 cherokee front seats i pick up off of craigslist.


Do the 2014 Cherokee seats bolt up directly or is there fabrication involved? I am looking to swap out my 05 CRD leather seats for more comfortable, better looking, and possibly heated leathers in the very near future. I know the KKs seats are a direct bolt in. There seems to be some speculation that the seats from the PT Cruiser will also bolt in, but no confirmation. I'd be curious to add another seat on my list to look for.

_________________
05 CRD Limited- Frankie IIP Lift w/spacer JBA 6" springs in rear- ProComp Street Lock steel wheels - ARB Bumper- Warn M8000 w/Synthetic Line- RRO Rails/Roof Rack- 2300W Power Inverter- 4.10 gears w/ARB Air Lockers F&R- JBA A-Arms- Viar Air Compressor/Tank- RL Super Skink Sliders-JBA Steel D30S Front Diff, Non-shiny new Paint, OD Green


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 19
I honestly have no idea as of yet....
I just got the seats off of craigslist a few days ago and they have been sitting in the garage. and since its freezing cold in minnesota right now i was going to wait until spring and then do a write up.

I do love the hidden storage under the passengers seat
Image

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My second CRD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 19
i'm worried about the wiring
and the air bag sensor

when i get it in this spring, i'll have to do a write up on it.
I know the Dodge journey has the same type of seat with a hidden compartment
i wonder if that is a direct bolt up as well?

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD

2" OME lift
30x10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires
Jeepin by Al front upper control arms
Green Diesel Engineering ‘Hot’ tune
Suncoast torque converter
and so much more


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com