LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

HEY ALL! KK in Michigan
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=81600
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ColeG17 [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 pm ]
Post subject:  HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

I picked up a 2008 libby kk in Southern Michigan in March last year and brought her home to Traverse City. I absolutely love the vehicle and have been off roads plenty so far. I go to school at Michigan Tech way up north, so I also drive her on the highway plenty. All blacked out, tinted, etc:) Looking to get some meaner tires and/or lift it but not looking to spend a small fortune on it yet either (still have to pay for college education). NEED IDEAS!! looking at maybe some Duratrac 245/70/R16s on stock suspension. Any problems with this?

Thanks guys and good to be a member!

Author:  tommudd [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

Welcome !!
245-70-16s would work and Durstracs are a great tire overall
I've got almost 85000 on a set, just keep them rotated

Author:  ColeG17 [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

Would there be much problem with rubbing or an impact on off-roading capabilities with those tires on stock?

Author:  Gageraid [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

Let me get a picture of this blacked out KK. I love my blacked out KK. 8)

Author:  ColeG17 [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

Gageraid wrote:
Let me get a picture of this blacked out KK. I love my blacked out KK. 8)


Image
My stocker:) She does have a new performance muffler installed though, just to giver her that mean voice :twisted:

I really want her to sit higher though with a bit of a wider stance, that's why i'm looking at getting some duratracs. I also heard that spacers are a no go if I want to continue off-roading because it will just destroy the wheel or something along those lines. Should I just go with a bigger/wider duratrac with no lift?

Author:  Gageraid [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

Looks pretty good.
Since you're on a budget, I'd say just go with a bigger tire.

Author:  ColeG17 [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

However if I were to lift it, what would you recommend? There are so many kits and makes out there that I've seen posted on LOST especially (I've been observing for a year or so now) that I just don't know what is quality and what the difference in look/performance is for each kit and/or height. I noticed the 2" Daystar lift is popular. If I were to do that lift, would the 245/70/16s still be a good tire choice or would I want to upsize? Do I also need new shocks with that kit?

Author:  Gageraid [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

Don't do a spacer lift. Get a quality spring lift like OME. $800 well spent.
245/75/16 is a good tire with a 2-3 inch lift.
I myself am running 225/75/16 BFG A/T on that OME lift that gives 2.5 inches.

Author:  tommudd [ Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

ColeG17 wrote:
However if I were to lift it, what would you recommend? There are so many kits and makes out there that I've seen posted on LOST especially (I've been observing for a year or so now) that I just don't know what is quality and what the difference in look/performance is for each kit and/or height. I noticed the 2" Daystar lift is popular. If I were to do that lift, would the 245/70/16s still be a good tire choice or would I want to upsize? Do I also need new shocks with that kit?



Daystar is popular ???? :ROTFL: No Daystar is UNpopular
There are just a few lift options if you want to do it right and have, a great ride, better handling and for it to last more than 2 months
OME, Ironman, TM Econo lift or jeepinbyal adjustable coilovers
Look at http://www.jeepinbyal.com for all of the above
BUT do not use any spacer lift like Daystar, no Skyjacker, no RRO etc
Over 12 years of experience on here as to what works and what doesn't
OME gives you 2.5 inches without anything added, Ironman 2.25 without extras
If you've been observing and reading then you have seen the above mentioned many times before
I've ran each setup on mine ( since the front setup is the same between the KJ/KK, rear shocks are the same between models

Reason why spacer lifts don't work is the KJs and KKs come with weak springs and sag fast. Adding spacers just speed up that process and provide a rough ride and poor handling

Author:  ColeG17 [ Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

I guess I'll go with an OME lift this summer. Thanks for the help guys. Hey Gage, can I get a picture of your KK? If youre running the 2.5" lift with those tires I just want to see how it looks. I can do plenty of google searches but all I'll get is a picture with no description of lift and/or tire selection. I really like the duractracs though so I'll most likely end up with those in the size you have.

Author:  Gageraid [ Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

Image
Image

Author:  ColeG17 [ Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

Very nice!! 8) I like that lift. How much did it run you? $830ish? And did you install it yourself? I'd rather not have to pay that amount again to have someone else do it when I could do it myself. I would just need a bit of help.

Also, what do you guys know about LED light bars? I want to mount a 52" bar on the brow above the windshield like many wranglers have, but I haven't found a mount to do so yet.

Author:  PALiftedKK [ Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

ColeG17 wrote:
Very nice!! 8) I like that lift. How much did it run you? $830ish? And did you install it yourself? I'd rather not have to pay that amount again to have someone else do it when I could do it myself. I would just need a bit of help.

Also, what do you guys know about LED light bars? I want to mount a 52" bar on the brow above the windshield like many wranglers have, but I haven't found a mount to do so yet.



there aren't any KK led mounts that I know of for a 52" bar. your best bet is to fabricate one. or buy a TJ mount and re shape it. im planning to do this after I get a bumper from ATH.

there's a hand full of KK owners that fabricated their own mounts for pods that bolt right up to the firewall.

Image

this is my KK, I currently have 2 antennas on the 2 brackets pictured. those same antenna mounts will be holding up a 7.5" 12 led light bar.
Image

Author:  Gageraid [ Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

ColeG17 wrote:
Very nice!! 8) I like that lift. How much did it run you? $830ish? And did you install it yourself? I'd rather not have to pay that amount again to have someone else do it when I could do it myself. I would just need a bit of help.

Also, what do you guys know about LED light bars? I want to mount a 52" bar on the brow above the windshield like many wranglers have, but I haven't found a mount to do so yet.


It was on sale for about $700 when I got it. I paid a shop to do it, but you surely can do it yourself. Where are you located? Jeepers are always down to help others out if you live close.

Author:  ColeG17 [ Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

I guess I'll have to try to fabricate a mount for the brow this summer. I did see a picture of a pretty sick KK a while ago that had the 52" bar over the windshield and I have it on my phone. I'll post it later. And Gage I am in Northern Michigan. It would be pretty awesome to meet someone on LOST that lives near me. Jeepin' buddies are lifetime buddies!

Author:  Gageraid [ Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HEY ALL! KK in Michigan

ColeG17 wrote:
I guess I'll have to try to fabricate a mount for the brow this summer. I did see a picture of a pretty sick KK a while ago that had the 52" bar over the windshield and I have it on my phone. I'll post it later. And Gage I am in Northern Michigan. It would be pretty awesome to meet someone on LOST that lives near me. Jeepin' buddies are lifetime buddies!

There are very awesome Jeep enthusiasts in that area and on this forum!
I'm sure there is a M&G eventually soon in that area.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/