LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Lighting help.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=21398
Page 1 of 1

Author:  RQuarte [ Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Lighting help.

I'm thinking of mounting 4 hella 500s on my roof basket. I already have 2 mounted to my bumper guard and wired like an ameature, but now i want to put 4 more up top and i want to do it the right way. I know theres a thread on how to run the wire up to the top so i have that covered but what guage wire should i use that can handle the 4 of them and what is the proper way to wire these up, i want to just run them with a seprate switch.

Thanks.

Author:  struggle07 [ Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:46 am ]
Post subject: 

if you could tell me how many watts each bulb is rated, I could help you with the wire gauge and connections.

Author:  RQuarte [ Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm not sure on the wattage but they are the hella 500 driving lights.

Author:  raceinfan [ Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

I believe those are 55 watts each

Author:  Maximum Carnage [ Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Try using 16 gauge or larger. Just in case 14 gauge is thicker than 16.

Author:  RQuarte [ Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Alright i'll let you know if i have any problems.

Author:  struggle07 [ Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd do 14awg with a 20 amp fuse. Make sure your switch is rated for 20 amps also. If not use a relay.

Author:  swyszomirski [ Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:30 am ]
Post subject: 

For 4 lights use a relay! Running that much current through a switch is asking for a fire.

Stephen

Author:  SavageUrge [ Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:38 am ]
Post subject: 

You must use a relay anyway if you want to get maximum wattage out of your lights. Run a power lead straight to the battery and do the same with your ground lead. Do not ground it to the frame - mount it right on the battery terminal. In case anyone here is wondering: Read THIS if you want to learn how a relay works, when to use one and why. They are almost always mandatory when running high wattage accessory lights, especially more than one pair.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/