LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Alpine sub/amp question
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=24270
Page 1 of 1

Author:  RAYMAN975 [ Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Alpine sub/amp question

ok, i went to best buy and bought a 4ohm 12" Alpine Type-R sub, and the alpine 400w rms mono amp, m450 ithink it is. the sub is 4 ohm, but the amp, at 4ohm is only 220rms, and at 2 ohm is 400w rms. should iexchange the sub for a 2 ohm version? or can i bridge it somehow to get the full 400w?

and about the box, i heard sealed boxes sound good with these subs, but what size should i get? it says .57-1 cubic foot is good for sealed. im not sure what box to get though. is .57cf to 1cf a big difference?

thanks!

Author:  struggle07 [ Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

I would definately get the 2 ohm. The only reason that I wouldn't go with the 2 ohm is if you think you might add a second sub later. In that case I would run two 4 ohm subs. As for the box, if you can get by with less cargo room, I would go with the 1 cf. (By the way, I was looking at the spec sheets on alpine's website and it recommends 0.7-1.0 cf sealed.) I used to run a single 2 ohm type R on about 775 Wrms MTX in a 1 cf box in my ram quad cab. I was really happy with it.

Author:  RAYMAN975 [ Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

so just exchange it for the 2 ohm version sub and keep the 400w rms mono amp that i have?

Author:  struggle07 [ Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

I suppose you could go bigger on the amp if you wanted to, but I think that 400 will be ok. Its hard to say. It is nice to have more power than you need, because you can always turn the amp down if its too loud. So in that respect, you could go bigger.

Author:  RAYMAN975 [ Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

and i did go bigger tonight lol i exchanged it for the m850 lol. now i just need a box. im goin with a sealed box, just not sure how much i wanna spend, plexiglass on the box would be nice to see the awesome type-r from the back

Author:  struggle07 [ Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

are you going to be building the box yourself?

Author:  tjkoen01 [ Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

RAYMAN975 wrote:
so just exchange it for the 2 ohm version sub and keep the 400w rms mono amp that i have?


if it is a dual voice coil sub, you can wire the 4 ohm coils in parallel to get down to 2 ohms

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/