| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Benefit of dual antennas? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=30875 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | durangotang [ Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Benefit of dual antennas? |
SO I ordered my CB antenna and when it came in they sent me 2! It's not just 2 singles though... they sent me the kit with dual antennas and the corresponding cables. It's the same antenna I wanted before but now I have 2 of them. I'm relatively new to CB... is there much of advantage to running dual antennas? Do 2 4ft antennas act the same as 1 8 ft antenna? (I may be showing my ignorance here) Thanks for any help... |
|
| Author: | Rush345 [ Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I think if you wire one to your CB and one to your stock radio on the other side of you roof rack you will acheive a balanced look.. When I first moved to Denver with in the first week during a windy day a cardboard box broke the rear power Antenna of my Datsun 260 Z 2+2 I replaced it with a Radio Shack porwer CB Antenna it was tight but worked beautifully. In fact I I were to try it again I would install the power Antenna in the rear section of my KJ and install it in the rear quarter pannel section for CB and Radio Support and remove the Stock Radio Antenna |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
What they sent you is a co-phased antenna system. You really can't get them separated far enough to get them to work the way they supposed to. So the way it works out is they are not going to be any better than one. Is the coaxial cable one piece shaped like a "Y"? If so then it's co-phased. If not, then they just goofed up and sent two. Terry |
|
| Author: | durangotang [ Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
It's 2 antennas with a "Y" cable... |
|
| Author: | corwyyn [ Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:12 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
What the dual antennas do is narrow the pattern of the radiated signal and concentrate it along the path that is perpendicular to the line that connects them, so if you mounted one on each side of the Jeep the signal would reach out further toward the front and back. The problem is that you need a quarter wavelength (9 feet) between the antennas to get the best out of the setup, and the KJ is not much over 6ft wide |
|
| Author: | durangotang [ Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I see.... sounds useful on the highway and not-so-useful off road. Sounds like I will just have a spare. Thanks. |
|
| Author: | mi1bql [ Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I also second Corwyyn suggestions. Even on a full size tractor-trailer there is not really enough separation for the co-phased aerial setup. Get another bout of coax and have a spare aerial. |
|
| Author: | WoodysKJ [ Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
corwyyn wrote: What the dual antennas do is narrow the pattern of the radiated signal and concentrate it along the path that is perpendicular to the line that connects them, so if you mounted one on each side of the Jeep the signal would reach out further toward the front and back. The problem is that you need a quarter wavelength (9 feet) between the antennas to get the best out of the setup, and the KJ is not much over 6ft wide
SEND IT BACK. get a high quality 18 ft coax cable and atleast a 2 ft 3 ft would be better fiberglass, firefly tunable antenna an then mount it so as much of the antenna is above the roof as possible and have the swr tuned and thats all. send the dual back, wont work on ur kj. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|