LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Finally!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=31094
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Finally!

Well, it was a big headache thanks to Daimler not using proper wiring colors, running the wires from door to inside KJ, and not having a 9-volt battery for my multimeter. Just some of the headaches.

I got everything installed finally. The wires in the rear were a pain. Both wires were striped though wiring code Crutchfield sent had the positive wires all solid. I did not cut off the speaker connectors. I just striped the old wires a little and soldered the new speaker wires to them.

I installed:
- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492 CD Receiver (with Aux & USB connections (XM & Sirius ready)
- Polk Audio db6501 6-1/2" Component System
- Pioneer TS-A1682R 6-1/2" 4-Way Speakers

Sounds great. I drilled a 2" hole through the tweeter grill and flushed the tweeters. They work great with the tilt to them. I would love to do the same to the front and rear speakers but there would still be a lot of visible stock grill left exposed. If there was a black plastic ring that could be added to the new grills and cover the left over stock grill, I would go for it.

Anyone know if there is a good way to do it or if a product exists?

I'll get pics of the stereo and tweeters on here soon. Obviously, no use taking a pic of the stock grill for the new speakers....LOL!

Author:  jinstall [ Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:08 am ]
Post subject: 

Yes but itis time consuming and money consuming as well. Glad you got it done and like it. Like I said beofre a Power Probe works wonders where a multimeter is to cumbersome to work with.

Author:  sleeve84028 [ Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:29 am ]
Post subject: 

Tokyo - how hard was it to do the speaker swap? I've got an infinity system (stock) and really want to upgrade but have been told the speaker harness is a mess. Can you comment on what you had to do to make everything work?

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Image

Image

Image

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sleeve,

The headache comes when you try to run wires for a new component system. Probably nothing if you just buy 2-way speakers.

You will need to shave off the insulation on your current speaker wires (about 1/4 - 1/2"). Wrapped the new exposed wires from your harness to the old speaker wire and solder them. Wrap in electrical tape. You must test to find out which is + and which is the - wires. Solder correct wire to each. Pay attention to the speaker connectors so you don't just solder them to the wrong wire.

If you do a component setup, the wires that you have to run to the inside of the KJ is a real PAIN!!! You should try and run them through the way al the other wires run. Not an easy task.

Don't cut the original harness off unless you don't care about the possibility of returning the stock speakers when you trade or sell it.

Author:  KJ4ME [ Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

glad u like the head unit. i love mine and yours is the one that is about to replace my head unit because the aux and the usb are up front; on mine the aux is tucked away at the rear if the unit, then u have to purchase an extender separately. but that usb plug in is a charm... talk about convenience, huh?

Author:  sleeve84028 [ Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:58 am ]
Post subject: 

So for the front tweeters - run new wires? or tap into existing harness by splice?

Removal of the front door speakers removes the infinity amps - do I have to run new wire to the rear door speakers from the front doors?

Thanks for the help Tokyo. This is a project that I've wanted to do for about 3 years now and was never brave enough to undertake...

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:29 am ]
Post subject: 

The rear speakers do not need new wires to be run but you will need to do the splicing in of the new wires/connectors (remember not to cut off the original connector).

Patience and caution is required when using a sharp Exacto knife or other method to remove the plastic insulation. I suppose you could just melt it.

My tweeters came with long wires already built in to them. It is very easy to run the wires since you can find gaps that will run the wires down through to the floor.The front speakers and tweeters will run to a crossover and then the power will go to the original front speaker wires.

I am now thinking about an amp and possibly a sub since I do not like the bass response that I was hoping for. I am not one that plays it so loud it bothers others at the light, but I do want to feel some deep booming to my music. I use a particular song that I rememebr how it sounded when I had my Camry and replaced the HU and speakers (no amp or Sub) but they had some great bass to them. I am not getting that from this new setup but the sound quality is tops. Clarity is there.

Author:  sleeve84028 [ Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Great, thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/