LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Battery problems...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=31406
Page 1 of 1

Author:  riptricket [ Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:00 am ]
Post subject:  Battery problems...

I don't know what I can do, but...
my positive (red) battery terminal has been corroding (or whatever it's called) and it has white paste/chalk material on it. My g/f's dad and I cleaned it all up with one of those kits that you clean battery terminals with, we even put that black stuff on it, but it came back!

My main problem is, it is corroding my power wires (2 are on relays and 1 is straight to the lights, b/c that 1 I don't use as often and didn't want to go through all the trouble) to my extra lights that I have added.
I don't want to have to redo my wire ends until I can fix the problem. What I really don't want to happen is a fire, b/c I'm sure it can happen.

So, should I get a new battery and wait to see if that fixes the problem and then redo my connectors to my battery?

-or-

WHAT SHOULD I DO???

Thanks to all!!!

Author:  tjkoen01 [ Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:35 am ]
Post subject: 

sounds like you have a crack in your battery. i've seen it happen a lot. every time i see that white paste on a battery terminal, the battery ends up having a crack in the case by the post with the paste on it.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Running the stock battery?

Put some engine oil on it.

Author:  riptricket [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

yes stock battery.
if i put the engine oil on the positive terminal, can i still have my light power wires connected, or do i need to disconnect them?

Author:  dgeist [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

riptricket wrote:
yes stock battery.
if i put the engine oil on the positive terminal, can i still have my light power wires connected, or do i need to disconnect them?


You could also slather it in dielectric grease. Good for keeping out water (assuming water is the issue).

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have always heard that if you are using accessories that pull more current than the battery can dish out or the alt can replace that also causes coorsion. Never found out if that is true.

What ever, get a yellow top for all yur accessories. you wont be sorry.

Author:  riptricket [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

that is what i am currently saving up for, to get for free... but what is the exact battery... volts and all?

why not red or blue top?

what's the best way to run 3 wires to the battery? right not i have them connected to the part that connects to the pos. terminal, on the little bolt.

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

blue top is for marine use, not enough cca Cold cranking amps

group 34 or a 34/78

Red is a good battery but not recomended for off road use. yellow you can mount upsidedown and it wont leak. seams there are a few jeep out there that wind up on their roofs, go figure.

Author:  riptricket [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-D34-Yellow-Top-Battery/dp/B000BJBHNY/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1207945744&sr=1-42 this one


or


http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-D750S-Battery-Yellow/dp/B000AMDDBQ/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1207945744&sr=1-36 this one

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

riptricket wrote:


This one will fit.

34/78 has both side and top posts. some like the ability to add accessories to the side posts. both same guts.

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have the same problem (except on the negative terminal) and cut off the terminal and put a new one on and fix the problem. Absolutely zero corrosion. The terminal only cost a buck or two, its worth a try. Its only a 2005, you should have a lot more life in that battery.

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

hot glue a penny next to each terminal. will attract all the corosion instead of the terminal. old trick i used to do on my XJ's

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/