It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I just passed my general ham license tes, now for a radio...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:52 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:47 am
Posts: 204
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
So, where are good locations for a radio (I am thinking about a detachable face radio and putting the face next to the cigarette lighter outlet).

Also, what have you all done for an antenna mount? I was thinking about trying to mount it to one of the cross bars of the roof rack. I want the antenna on the roof for better range.

Sorry if this has been posted, but I tried the search function and couldn't find anything beyond magnetic mounts and spare tire mounts and drilling through the roof.

_________________
2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4 w/ Manual Transmission
All J Transmission Skid and Boulder Bars, Frankin Lift, Poison Spyder Differential Skid, ARB Air Locker.

http://www.thechucklesstart.com/car/
Never put PowerTrax NoSlip with a Manual KJ.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:15 am 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
Hey Charles, congrats on passing your test! As far as radio locations, I did have mine located in front of the map lights but moved it when I got my OTIS installed. Now it's mounted on the center dash section above the center air vents, right next to my GPS unit. You could put a remote head down by the power outlet, but I like to have it visible without having to move my eyes too far away from the window area. You can mount an antenna on the roof rails, but you'll need to add a ground from the rail to the roof since they aren't normally grounded thru the plastic mounts, and you may loose it to a tree branch. I put my dual-band antenna on the edge of the tailgate with a trunk/fender type mount and it seems to get out just fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:31 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:47 am
Posts: 204
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks.

Is yours remoted on your dash, or is the entire radio there?

_________________
2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4 w/ Manual Transmission
All J Transmission Skid and Boulder Bars, Frankin Lift, Poison Spyder Differential Skid, ARB Air Locker.

http://www.thechucklesstart.com/car/
Never put PowerTrax NoSlip with a Manual KJ.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:36 pm 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
Yeah I should have made that clearer. I have the control head for my HF rig mounted on the dash, the main body is under the drivers seat. My dual-band radio is mounte don the passengers side of the center console plastic cover (no remote head possibility with it).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com