| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| I just passed my general ham license tes, now for a radio... http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=31522 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | TheChucklesStart [ Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:52 am ] |
| Post subject: | I just passed my general ham license tes, now for a radio... |
So, where are good locations for a radio (I am thinking about a detachable face radio and putting the face next to the cigarette lighter outlet). Also, what have you all done for an antenna mount? I was thinking about trying to mount it to one of the cross bars of the roof rack. I want the antenna on the roof for better range. Sorry if this has been posted, but I tried the search function and couldn't find anything beyond magnetic mounts and spare tire mounts and drilling through the roof. |
|
| Author: | corwyyn [ Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hey Charles, congrats on passing your test! As far as radio locations, I did have mine located in front of the map lights but moved it when I got my OTIS installed. Now it's mounted on the center dash section above the center air vents, right next to my GPS unit. You could put a remote head down by the power outlet, but I like to have it visible without having to move my eyes too far away from the window area. You can mount an antenna on the roof rails, but you'll need to add a ground from the rail to the roof since they aren't normally grounded thru the plastic mounts, and you may loose it to a tree branch. I put my dual-band antenna on the edge of the tailgate with a trunk/fender type mount and it seems to get out just fine. |
|
| Author: | TheChucklesStart [ Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks. Is yours remoted on your dash, or is the entire radio there? |
|
| Author: | corwyyn [ Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yeah I should have made that clearer. I have the control head for my HF rig mounted on the dash, the main body is under the drivers seat. My dual-band radio is mounte don the passengers side of the center console plastic cover (no remote head possibility with it). |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|