LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

HAMs with KJs
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=40122
Page 1 of 1

Author:  nzoliver [ Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:36 pm ]
Post subject:  HAMs with KJs

Hi all,

How many HAMs have KJs? Where did you put your antenna and your radios? :roll:

I am looking at getting a dual band portable (VX-6R) and the accessories to run it in the car as well. What do y'all think? 8)

Thanks all!
:lol:
Oliver
ZL3OOC

Author:  TheChucklesStart [ Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:55 am ]
Post subject: 

If your looking at running the VX-6R in your Jeep, I would just prefer to use it as it is. At least, when I am using my FT-60, I use it as is in vehicles. However, when I am using my FT-60 in a car it is usually talking to another family member in another car nearby.

For my Jeep, I have a IC-208H. I put the main radio body inside the dash. Their is a nice easy to reach space under the steering column that is perfect for mounting the radio.

I mounted the antenna off of the roof rack. I suppose the roof rack gives a decent ground plane. I forget what brand antenna I am using. I ran the cable up from the radio up the post with the handle on it beside the front windshield to roof. I have a Renegade, so there is a hole in the roof for my light bar, I just reused that to get the coax outside. Then I ran it back underneath the roof rack, to the antenna.

For power, I used the instructions that are on here somewhere on how to breach the firewall and ran my own cables from the battery.

I think my dad and I did the install over a weekend, but we may have done it in a day. We didn't know what we were doing, so you could probably do it faster.

Hope that is helpful.
Charles
KE5UCD

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:16 am ]
Post subject: 

chuckles, pic of where you mounted it? i've got a pretty large SSB galaxy that i need to mount

i'm considering removing the tray that's in the center console, removing the lid and bolting the lid back on and just mounting it inside there, it'll take away the storage of the center console but i dont keep anything in there anyway

Author:  blue94yj [ Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 am ]
Post subject: 

I have a ICOM 208H in the KJ. I will try and get some pictures in the next couple of days. I have the remote face and Sat. Radio mounted on a bezel mounting bracket. The radio body is under the drivers seat but I think I'm going to move it under the back seats. The antenna is mounted on a bracket I made to mount by the tail light.

Charlie
KD8DUW

Author:  Sean [ Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have a Yaesu 1802m mounted vertically between my right leg and the 4x4 shifter...

How does everyone have their coax run? I run mine through the rear glass, driver side, to the left of the defroster coil up to the roof, but it lets water in when it rains.

-Sean

Author:  nzoliver [ Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:34 am ]
Post subject: 

Hi all,
I have just put a Yaesu 7800 in my jeep. The 'brain' is under the driver's (right hand) front seat and the head is mounted to the ashtray. Perfect. :)

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:30 am ]
Post subject: 

Sean, i ran my coax through the back glass passenger side, and yes it leaked when i had the coax infront of the weather stripping

i pulled the weather stripping away from the lip, and notched it in a V, trimmed the steel wire that is inside the weather stripping (this is important so it doesn't penetrate your coax!)

put the coax between the lip and the weather stripping, pushed the stripping back onto the lip and gave it 3 good coats of black RTV

it hasn't leaked since and except for on the roof, the coax is entirely out of sight. I ran the coax into the interior molding where the wire for the back glass defrost comes out , down the side and then out and under the carpet

just an idea for ya!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/