| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Tough Stereo Question http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=42082 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | got one [ Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Tough Stereo Question |
Story: I just bought a 2004 Jeep Liberty with the Cassette and CD stereo. I would like to upgrade. Question and Requirements: I would like a stereo replacement that has: 1. MP3 file playback 2. DVD Playback (while moving) 3. GPS (with a system that can be updated) 4. Ipod nano/iphone connection/controls 5. Can still utilize the steering whell controls 6. Needs to look somewhat stock (don't want a bright orange stereo 7. Remote (for wireless control from the back seat) 8. Screen that can be seen in the daylight You guys out there know of anything like this? |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
mmmm may be difficult, i'm confident you can get all of that in one unit except the GPS and not have to hack the dash to make it fit i have seen one or two that had honda style gps units in them but they had custom dashes |
|
| Author: | Nevadadrifter [ Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
It's kind of tricky dealing with a 1.5 DIN stereo. I don't know of any aftermarket nav systems that fit into the dash without some heavy modding, which I will assume you don't want. This leaves you with the option of a standard sized stereo with a motorized flip out screen. I always wanted to put one in my 02 KJ, but was concerned that the heater vents, which would be right behind where the motorized screen would flip up, would get too hot in the winter when I am blasting the heater. I went to Crutchfield.com to see which systems would fit your KJ. They recommend the following units. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XDN8190/Dual-XDVDN8190.html?tp=144 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700PNAV512/Kenwood-DVD-Navigation-Package.html?tp=144 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVICN5/Pioneer-AVIC-N5.html?tp=144 All of these should fit your requirements. Remember that the Kenwood setup includes an external nav system, which will need mounted under your seat or somewhere else out of the way. Not a big deal though. The bonus here, is that the nav data is made by Garmin, the best out there in my opinion, and you will not need to insert a DVD into the disc drive to use the nav system. Even though they are not the cheapest option out there, Crutchfield's customer service cannot be beaten. Their website will let you enter your vehicle make and model, and they will tell you exactly which head units will fit your vehicle. They will also tell you exactly which components will be needed to install your stereo and retain use of your steering wheel controls. I'm very happy that my new 08 KK has a double DIN stereo. I just received my new Pioneer AVIC F900BT from Crutchfield this afternoon. I don't have to worry about a motorized screen, and the F series are Windows CE based, so people are doing some pretty amazing software modifications! |
|
| Author: | got one [ Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks! I"ll check them out for sure! Good thing these Jeeps have so much room in them |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Tough Stereo Question |
got one wrote: Story:
I just bought a 2004 Jeep Liberty with the Cassette and CD stereo. I would like to upgrade. Question and Requirements: I would like a stereo replacement that has: 1. MP3 file playback 2. DVD Playback (while moving) 3. GPS (with a system that can be updated) 4. Ipod nano/iphone connection/controls 5. Can still utilize the steering whell controls 6. Needs to look somewhat stock (don't want a bright orange stereo 7. Remote (for wireless control from the back seat) 8. Screen that can be seen in the daylight You guys out there know of anything like this? You're not going to find an aftermarket stereo that integrates directly into the steering wheel controls. There are companies that offer adaptors that interate with steering wheel controls with varying levels of success. You could buy a factory NAV radio with iPod control and send the deck to NAV Radio in Boca Raton, FL. They can create a video input that will show up on the screen but they cannot make DVD video playback. They would charge $1500 for their service I believe. I represent a company that manufactures 3 decks that will do most of what you want (let go of #5 and #7) all single DIN chassis. The company in question is Farenheit. http://www.farenheitusa.com/ PM me if you're interested and I can get you a good price. |
|
| Author: | Sean [ Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Radio |
Hello- I had similar requirements when I upgraded to my new head unit, the only thing I am not familiar with is utilizing factory steering wheel audio controls: 1. MP3 file playback - Yes 2. DVD Playback (while moving) - Any will do if installed by someone who knows what they are doing. (i.e. any shop should be able to do this at no charge) 3. GPS (with a system that can be updated) Yes 4. Ipod nano/iphone connection/controls Yes 5. Can still utilize the steering whell controls ---Not that I know of 6. Needs to look somewhat stock (don't want a bright orange stereo Smile -Yes 7. Remote (for wireless control from the back seat) Yes 8. Screen that can be seen in the daylight - Yes http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110V9512HD ... 12hd&tp=75 Has a motorized screen, so it is 1.0 DIN and will fit no problem. I have since installed the add on module for SAT Radio, mine came with HD Radio module and more inputs than I know what to do with (almost). I have a backup camera hooked into mine, HDTV Tuner, SAT Radio, HD Radio NAV is a module you can purchase, I however decided I didn't need it. Oh, and the functionality is 100% whether moving or stationary in regards to video playback. PM me if you want any pics... I picked mine up for much less than what Crutchfield sells it for from a local retailer with free installation. Good Luck! |
|
| Author: | Nevadadrifter [ Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:28 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Tough Stereo Question |
JL Rockies wrote: You're not going to find an aftermarket stereo that integrates directly into the steering wheel controls. There are companies that offer adaptors that interate with steering wheel controls with varying levels of success.
Yes, the adapters can be kind of a pain. The problem lies in the fact that each company makes just a handful of adapters to try and cover each and every aftermarket stereo out there. I ordered the PAC SWI-PS along with the PAC C2R-CHY4 to cover the steering wheel controls. The C2R-CHY4 will accept the input from the stock steering wheel controls, and convert it to a formula the SWI-PS recognizes. The problem is that the SWI-PS needs to be programmed, and is capable of learning dozens of different features, so it has to be programmed. You hold down the program button, then check the programming manual. It starts with the basics like "volume up" you hold the volume up button on the steering wheel control for 2 seconds or so, then release the program button on the SWI-PS, and repeat until each function is programmed. It's time consuming, but not overly complicated. If you do the install yourself, just make sure you have it programmed the way you want it before you put everything back together! The nice thing is that it is somewhat customizable. I rarely use anything other than the volume up/down and tune up/down buttons, which leaves me with 2 extra buttons that I can customize with whatever functions I want. Such as one for "answer incoming call" and the other for "end call" |
|
| Author: | timmyb457 [ Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
you should check this out http://tinyurl.com/Dual-XDVDN8190 it comes with all ur requirements except the Wheel controls. and you dont have to buy any extra adaptors for ipod control because it comes with it. and it also comes with Bluetooth for ur phone |
|
| Author: | jinstall [ Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
if you can order the 1 DIN dash adapter from a dealer overseas, it looks great and fits perfectly. Should have it for about $35 as well as the radio harness adapter $15 all OEM. It is what I have in mine. |
|
| Author: | SBosco [ Mon May 04, 2009 2:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
JVC makes a single DIN navigation that I was considering for my system. At the time it was going for around $1000, but now they have discontinued it so you can still get it new from a bunch of places with leftover stock for much less. The single din adapting bracket is pretty common and available through several brands like metra, etc. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NPuiiSB9ppQ/p_105KDNX500/JVC-KD-NX5000.html http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/jvc-kd-nx5000/4505-3430_7-32319693.html http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000OA3WHY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1241460298&sr=1-1&condition=new |
|
| Author: | Stefano [ Mon May 18, 2009 11:25 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Radio |
Sean wrote: Hello-
2. DVD Playback (while moving) - Any will do if installed by someone who knows what they are doing. (i.e. any shop should be able to do this at no charge) Good Luck! while dvd playback while moving can be done with any dvd headunit, playback while driving is against federal and state law, last i heard it was anywhere from 500 to 5000 dollar fine if caught, so most chain shops wont do it, my shop we are not allowed to bypass the e-brake because of this and its also against company policy, i would say talk to a few different mom and pop shops that arnt part of a big chain and they may be willing to do it or if your good with wiring PM me and i may be able to just tell you how to do it |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|