LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Need advice, firewall pass through problem
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=42700
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Boiler [ Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:03 am ]
Post subject:  Need advice, firewall pass through problem

Well, due to blind optimism, tonight I tried to pass my fuseblock's 8 ga welding cable through the firewall down by the brake pedal, where the big bundle of wires goes through, I pushed and squished until the freakin grommet got shoved through. Here is the location:

Image

and here is the hole close up

Image

I can't get the grommet to go back on, my big fat arm can barely reach it in the engine compartment, and I'm putting a strain on a variety of hoses and wires in the region to do it.

What should I do? I could have someone take all the brake stuff out of the way, to access it cleanly and try to put it back in (with my new cable inserted) or I can tape the crap out of the bundle and silicone it into the plastic clip. Or maybe y'all have some other ideas.

How bad is it to have an open hole from the engine compartment to the cabin? I can't hear any noises from what I've found so far. I guess my biggest concern is vibration between the plastic clip and the bundle of wires.

Also, what is seen in the pictures is the assembled interior. Behind that carpet is a grey pad, which appears to have some chalk marks or such in the pictures, that pulls out of the way and exposes the clip, hole, and the grommet is soft like door seal, and can be touched through the hole.

Author:  corwyyn [ Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:44 am ]
Post subject: 

If you have an automatic transmission then you can use the factory firewall penetration, up behind the dash on the outer edges of the firewall panel; there's also one on the passenger side. Here is a write-up on the Liberty wiki pages about how to find them. My understanding is that these are where the clutch cable goes thru on KJs with standard transmissions.

As for getting the grommet reseated on the main wire bundle, maybe hire a circus contortionist or find someone who has skinny arms and is very limber? Barring that your best bet might be to get some silicone and fill in the gap you have to prevent water or wee creatures from getting in thru the opening.

Author:  Boiler [ Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:13 am ]
Post subject: 

Ack, I wish I'd have seen that write up before I started. I just wasn't finding any other passage through and thought, that must be the one thats "behind the drivers carpet".

Now I have some fixing to do. I hate to just RTV a 30 million wire harness into a hole. I came close to removing some brake lines and various other parts, then remembered that I have no clue what I'm doing in there....

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

squirt some'a'dat yellow foam expandy stuff at it :P

Author:  4WheelAholic [ Sun May 03, 2009 8:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

This is on a Gasser but here is what I did on my fog light install, The wires go in just to the left of the throttle cable.

Image

Author:  Boiler [ Sun May 03, 2009 10:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Got the stupid grommet back in. All it takes is some lighting to see whats going on and a different point of view. Instead of trying to hook the grommet back over the plastic piece, I just shoved both of them back into the cabin, reassembled them, and popped them back into place. Was really easy...

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/