LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Sat may 02 CB Skip
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=42878
Page 1 of 1

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Tue May 05, 2009 1:50 am ]
Post subject:  Sat may 02 CB Skip

Any of you guys run your CB Saturday and notice the unusually hot atmospheric skips?

I had a 7 hour drive and started about 2pm and the skip conditions stayed super strong like I haven't seen last in years, atmosphere didn't cool off until the sun hit the horizion


On my way down to Atlanta I managed to talk to people in Chicago, Texas, Pensylvania, Virginia, WVa, Georgia, Florida, NC, Tenn, Indiana and Puerto Rico

Tried to skip to the fellas wheelin in Albany GA but ended up talkin to some wheelers from Florida instead :lol:

Author:  Fulltimer [ Tue May 05, 2009 1:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

You should go onto SSB up above channel 40 for some good action. :twisted:

Terry

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Tue May 05, 2009 5:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

38 LSB was where I was talkin to indiana and chicago

one fella was real clear too, had to have had a nice rig, 426Chicago was what he was using (i think)

I haven't used the SSB's very much i usually can't find anyone but I still haven't fixed my noise issue so the rather weak stuff I can't pull in while driving

Kinda wish the atmosphere was always hot like it was saturday, i figure after a month or so people would get bored and it would cut down a little on the 20 channels of superbowls

it was getting really evident how jacked up some of those guys rigs were with the skip like that, peoples modulation so wide it was going across 4 channels :roll:

I mean jeeze, i take pride in knowing my signal is exactly where it's supposed to be and still getting great range with no linear and a 4 foot wilson flex

There's a fella down here that helped me test out my setup after i finally got my antenna up there with washer in the right place :lol:

he's got a really nice base setup with a tuneable/turnable boom in his back yard and he hates to go over 2 watts but he can DX to my house a 2 hour drive away if i go to the mountain and call him and let him know where I'm at

the only thing he commented about my rig was that my modulation was slightly low but the 979DX galaxy is typical of slightly low modulation and i dont want to screw with the modulation limiter and end up bleeding the watts i do have over other channels

I really want to get a longer regular whip to run when traveling rather than just using the flex-4 but the flex-4 already wacks stuff from time to time on residential streets with overhanging trees, so as good as it does i think ill just stick to the flex, guess that makes me a one antenna rig :lol:

later this year I want to start studying for the ham stuff, but i'll still run my CB too, i actually use it quite a bit to the point that I've probably used my stereo for an hour total since I installed it which makes me not really care that only 1 of my door speakers works and that one doesn't always work either

Author:  Fulltimer [ Tue May 05, 2009 6:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

I see we are running the same radio! Your right, to much modulation is not only a waste but is just plain lousy. Up above 40 it isn't so busy but and there are people there. My best contact with the Jeep radio was from Washing state to Cleveland, OH. No power either. They are a lot of fun.

I used to have a base station with stacked beams on a 50' tower. Pushing 100 watts into the stacked beams gave me an effective radiated power around 5K watts. I could reach Europe and Central America with no problem. South America and the land of OZ were a little harder. This was from NW Pennsylvania.

Terry

Author:  jinstall [ Tue May 05, 2009 6:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

if I get 5 miles I am happy, basic radio for me.

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Tue May 05, 2009 6:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yup! I love that galaxy, my only complaint is that I wish it had a separate knob for the squelch, half the time i go to adjust it i end up movin my volume too

i usually leave it at 10 watts on AM even though I can go up a few more, and crank it on SSB, at 10W i can typically hear what I can hit, those trucks with the wilson 5000's and the open coil deals are nice but I just can't see running that on my jeep

when I redo my roof im going to adjust the plane with my friends field meter, i'm loaded to one side as it is, since I don't use my roof I'll just find a good center and leave it there

I want to get a new coax and use a firering instead of standard, i do not like the way the standard coax has to bend to go across my roof, plus i punctured the shield slightly when I didn't trim the metal wire thats in the weather stripping, that may be where alot of the noise is coming in at since it's back at the rear gate

do you run a DC noise filter? I looked through my junk boxes thinking i had one from some car stereos and what not but I must have thrown it away or given it away or something

Author:  KJ kyle [ Tue May 05, 2009 7:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

wow, i think i understood 4 words in this whole thread... :roll: :D

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Fulltimer, you been riding the skip the past few days?

I managed to get across the appalachians, over the rockies and to California for about 2 minutes at about S7

nova scotia's been comin in quite a bit too as well as the west indies

38 low's been full of skip every afternoon after about 5-6pm est for the past 3 days i guess it's been due to the storms and what not

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/