LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Grounding spots?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44280
Page 1 of 2

Author:  hyedipin [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Grounding spots?

Where did you ground your amp? I have two possible spots, one is under the front seat, the other is behind the rear seats right on the seat-backs.
I would prefer under the front seat in case if I wire speakers later on, otherwise I would move it to the rear. Just wondering where I can ground it properly, pictures would be great.

Thanks.

Author:  lil black liberty [ Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

My ground is in the back of my vehicle.. but so are my subs.. I'll take a picture for you.. but if it was me and this is in all seriousness, I would cut a small hole in your carpet under your seat and if you can get you a drill in there I would put a self tapping screw into the body and put an O ring on your ground and put it on the self tapping screw and then screw it down. That would work as a ground because you're grounding to your body, and if I'm not mistaken I believe the battery is grounded to the body am I correct or was I misinformed again?? :?

Author:  lil black liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Image
Image
Image

Eh.. there's how I did mine..

Author:  hyedipin [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:44 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks Lil,
That's a thick ground wire! What is that white piece?

Author:  lil black liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:24 am ]
Post subject: 

You know I've always wondered myself... I believe it goes to the taillights maybe I dunno.. never checked that out.. all the liberties have it I believe.. :?

Author:  hyedipin [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 am ]
Post subject: 

Maybe the tails, I would think wires would move from the roof side and then split and come down..
:)

Anyone else who got the ground under the drivers seat? I would probably have to remove the seat to get the install done there, so I assume the bolts holding seat down should extend down.

Author:  lil black liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:15 am ]
Post subject: 

Yeah fairly simple to pull out the seat.. lol four bolts and you got it.. at least that's the way it is on mine.. no power seats! :lol:

Author:  Mike08Liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 am ]
Post subject: 

You can ground it to the body but to get the best ground you need to sand it down to bare metal. YES the battery is ground to the chassis. You want your ground wire to be a short as possible. You can ground your amp to just about any bare metal that is part of the car.

Author:  lil black liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:31 am ]
Post subject: 

That's why I used the Self-Tapping Screw Hyedipin because it actually gets into the metal that way no sanding required! :) Because that can be a pain especially in certain spots. :P

Author:  Mike08Liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:39 am ]
Post subject: 

OK sorry to bust your bubble but you want to sand down the WHOLE area around where you are grounding it. YES you can get a ground your way but its not the right way. The o-ring at the end of your ground cable is sitting on painted metal. Painted metal is not the best for grounding. You can all ANY audio shop, heck even call Best Buy's audio dept. they will all tell you to get the best ground you want sand down the surrounding area and then screw it down. You want the best possible ground sand down the whole area. If that means removing your whole trunk then thats what needs to be done. It you want to half it they just use a screw and be done with it.

Just remember that the ground is what completes the circuit. As the electricity comes off the battery and into your amp it then leaves your amp through the ground. If you have a bad ground you will not have a good electrical flow which in the end means you won't get the most from your equipment.

Author:  lil black liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:43 am ]
Post subject: 

Eh.. :?

Author:  hyedipin [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:47 am ]
Post subject: 

Got it, either find a bare metal / bolt some place, or sand the heck out of the surrounding area..

Under the seat is a good spot but then I have power seats, probably bunch of wires down there to deal with.
The rear is a good choice, but I am concerned about the sub sliding and pushing against the amp when I brake, and I want to keep the other side available in case if I have to fold the rear seats to load cargo.

Author:  lil black liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hyedipin what kind of set up do you have?

Author:  hyedipin [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Alpine MRP-F300 and Rockford Fosgate Stage P2L-110

Author:  lil black liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not a bad set up but I would recommend putting it in the back but let me tell you how, use some corner braces and screw them into your box then screw them down to your liberty. Something like this http://www.shortrunpro.com/shelf_bracke ... 20ytw.aspx
The reason I say that is because it will sound a lot better in the back and as far as your amp goes mount it on the back of your sub box. Good setup too, I would have went with the same brand as the sub for the amp but that's just me lol :lol:

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

yikes double post sorry

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

i've got 2 pyrimid 20teens with a pyrimid 70,000 ton watt amp :lol:

detour if you can from grounding under the front seats, the wiring in the seats and in the console makes quite a bit of racket

there should be a steel support bracket similar to what's behind the passenger foot kicker area behind the molding in the right rear quarter pannel inside the vehicle in the back, there was one in mine, trailer harness relays were button clipped to it, it's bare metal as well

just an idea

Author:  lil black liberty [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not a bad idea there Jeepin..

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

if your amps pick up fuel pump racket that's a pretty quick 5 dollar fix too

Author:  weston02kj [ Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

I grounded my amp directly to the rear seat mount bolt. just loosened a little bit and slid one of those half circle end things in there then tightened. works perfect.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/