LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Subwoofer delay?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44448
Page 1 of 1

Author:  hyedipin [ Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:56 am ]
Post subject:  Subwoofer delay?

I am getting the bass a fraction of a second later than I am supposed to. I don't think my Kenwood has delay adjustment for the sub pre-amp outs.
What could be the reason?

The front speakers are powered by factory amp, sub is powered by an alpine 4 channel amp.

Author:  tumanator [ Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

is it a constant delay.... I mean it is always the same amount of time in the delay or does it vary?

Second i know the Kenwood systems have the distance variable (you can set the distance of the run back to the speaker or subwoofer) this is used in a delay type function to create the focal point of sound, if you sub is set for long distance away this could create the delay.

Third, the preamp voltage of the headunit could be to low, if the speaker run is fairly long (this varies on the voltage and the amp picking up the signal) it could be the signal is too weak by the time it reaches the amp. As the wire gets longer the more voltage is needed to push the signal, a weak voltage would cause distortion or lack of sound more than just a delay though, but it's possible the amp is just compensating for a weak signal.

Fourth, if the delay is not absolutely consistent you could possibly be getting some crosstalk in your speaker wires. Though a delay is typically rare for crosstalk (typically it'll show as distortion or scratchy noise.) I would highly doubt it to be a problem but I guess it's possible.

Author:  hyedipin [ Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 am ]
Post subject: 

I checked the kenwood manual for delay/distance settings, (http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manual ... DCX590.PDF) not there..
Actually it sounds like variable, but strangely not for same songs. Is it possible for encoding to interfere with the x-overs? I mean with some songs it sounds perfectly in sync with tweeters and the percussion, but in some songs it just looses it. One more thing I noticed, it is not incredibly fast, although I think this has something to do with Bass EX setting of the kenwood, on fast songs when it hits hard more than few times a second (like fast dualist beats) it seems to act a bit late.
Could it be possible that I set the gain too high on the amp? I will dial it down a notch and see if that helps.

Author:  lil black liberty [ Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 am ]
Post subject: 

Could it be the actual Subwoofer it's self? I know like on some Nelly songs I could tell when it was the sub not being able to keep up with the response of the bass.. I felt it when I had a cheap and I mean cheap amp on my Kickers.. it would be terrible.. now that I got a kicker amp with my subs I don't have to worry about the bass response.. but it sounds like maybe it's the subwoofer it's self if it's new you gotta break it in first.. if it's not I dunno motor response should be right with the beats but some subs are slower than others..

Author:  hyedipin [ Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 am ]
Post subject: 

It is freaking me out. Yesterday I put Megadeth - Kill The King and the duallist kicked the heck out of the sub, with right on response. I was amazed, it felt like the sensored word was hitting the drums right in my jeep. Then I played Queen - Innuendo, phew... I felt that low rumble in my chest.
But this morning when the radio played an R&B song, it just felt like the subwoofer was putting out 9 blows out of 10 it was supposed to, felt like the beat was actually slower on the sub as compared to the tweeters.

It also feels like the louder the volume is more responsive and timely the sub is. I just can't put my finger on it.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/