LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Need good electrical tape?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=45394
Page 1 of 1

Author:  riptricket [ Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Need good electrical tape?

I need some electrical tape that will withstand the heat!

Or should I just use that heatshrink stuff that when heat is applied it shrinks on there and you're good to go!

Author:  oddball [ Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

Heatshrink is good stuff but if you decide to use tape, especially if you want to color coat wires, here's the good stuff

Author:  riptricket [ Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

the reason I ask is that the electrical tape that is around my connectors is always peeling off and I have to retape it because I lose my connections!

Author:  kskj [ Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

oddball wrote:
Heatshrink is good stuff but if you decide to use tape, especially if you want to color coat wires, here's the good stuff


You sure know your electrical tape that is the good stuff :)

Author:  kskj [ Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

riptricket wrote:
the reason I ask is that the electrical tape that is around my connectors is always peeling off and I have to retape it because I lose my connections!


What kind of connectors are you using?

Author:  oddball [ Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

And what are you taping?

Author:  riptricket [ Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

I am using the connectors you get at pepboys and I want there to be a water tight connection, so therefore, I use electrical tape on it

Author:  Boiler [ Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Therein lies the problem. Autoparts stores typically sell the lowest common denominator products, because typical people that shop there want the cheapest possible fix for whatever they are doing.

I was looking for stuff there for my wiring and everything they have, wire included, is crap. Except for fuses...Buss is Buss wherever you buy it from.

Check out these connectors. No need for tape. Just crimp the terminals on your wires, heat the shrink tubing, and connect them together. You can also dip the males in dielectric grease if you really are serious about moisture / corrosion.

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Defau ... Categories

The problem with them is you have to buy a whole box...but knowing you using a box won't be a problem :lol:

Also they sell mostly to businesses, so you have to call to get pricing / order. I ordered online and they called me to go over it anyway. Might as well just call and save the time delay.

I've used them at work alot and they have quality parts, a great selection, and they are fast.

Author:  riptricket [ Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:14 am ]
Post subject: 

I have those same type of bullet connectors!
I have wires conected using wire caps right now, and those are my main problems... I guess I am just going to buy some heat shrink.

Author:  oddball [ Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

As for connectors like those Boiler linked to, you can also find these at better electrical supply stores around town. I've used these connectors as well as eyelet crimp connectors (example ; for CB positive & ground wires) and they work great. Better than tape, and way better than twisting bare wire around a screw or bolt.

Author:  Boiler [ Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:09 am ]
Post subject: 

Yeah there are quite a few places that carry stuff like that.

I just proved my disdain for autoparts stores again this week. About 5 days ago I bought a 5 quart bottle of mobil 1 for $22 and change at walmart. Today I was dropping my wifes car off to get its change (didn't feel like crawling under a 4" ground clearance) and decided to grab some oil across the street first (advance auto parts). Her brother works there and he gave me his employee discount. With discount 5 quarts was $27. First they charge an arm and a leg, then they only have 1 and 4 quart bottles, when most need 5....in a nutshell they suck. Without his discount it would have been $35.

Author:  oddball [ Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Boiler wrote:
Yeah there are quite a few places that carry stuff like that.

I just proved my disdain for autoparts stores again this week. About 5 days ago I bought a 5 quart bottle of mobil 1 for $22 and change at walmart. Today I was dropping my wifes car off to get its change (didn't feel like crawling under a 4" ground clearance) and decided to grab some oil across the street first (advance auto parts). Her brother works there and he gave me his employee discount. With discount 5 quarts was $27. First they charge an arm and a leg, then they only have 1 and 4 quart bottles, when most need 5....in a nutshell they suck. Without his discount it would have been $35.

I know what you mean. Recently I went shopping for Zerex G05 antifreeze. I had a hard time just locating a place that sold this stuff. I ended up finding it at Napa for $9.99 / GAL.

Author:  durangotang [ Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Slightly OT:

What kinds of connectors do you guys prefer? I generally find myself using paddle connectors as opposed to bullet connectors (no particular reason) Is there any reason to use one or the other? (aside from the ease of heatshrinking a bullet connection)

Author:  Boiler [ Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

I like the quick connects (male and female "paddle" or sometimes called blade..or spade). I like them both fully insulated where the insulation overlaps.

I used the bullets with heat shrink insulation on my light connections, because I could heat shrink them into a pretty small diameter. As far as plugging and unplugging ease, I think the quick disconnects (blades) are much better.

Author:  riptricket [ Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:13 am ]
Post subject: 

bought some heat shrink and I love it!!!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/