| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| H4 bulbs http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=47709 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | VoodooMann [ Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | H4 bulbs |
anyone running H4 bulbs in you libby, how do you make them fit, I know there is a way to make H4 bulbs fit, but I can't seem to find it anymore. |
|
| Author: | warp2diesel [ Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | H4 is an old halogen bulb design |
I put Hella H4 lights into my cars and trucks from the 70s that had the old style sealed beams. H4 was an upgrade at the time from the crap that was available back then. My 63 BMW uses head lamps that use H4 bulbs. H4 bulbs do not have the sealing rings and can let in dirt, dust and debris, I would look for bulbs that drop in and work like 9007s. Watts and candle power is what counts, shop for that. |
|
| Author: | VoodooMann [ Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
well, my quest for H4 bulbs stems from my desire to run IPF Fatboys in the KJ housing |
|
| Author: | tomsjeep [ Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
VooDooMan, I sympathize with you... I have the IPFs in my TJ, and wanted to try to match the KJ... best I found was a "Nighthawk" bulb via Amazon. Bright, clear, but not quite as much candlepower as the IPFs. And by comparison, when I had an "emergency" replacement dropping in a Silverstar bulb on one side of the TJ, it was still not as bright brand new as the 3 year old IPF on the other side. |
|
| Author: | VoodooMann [ Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:42 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
well, I think the route I'm going is thus. I found an IPF housing that accepts H4s that is the same size as the KJ housing (and is aimable then all I have to do Is get some H4 sockets and cut apart my wiring harness. |
|
| Author: | kj-dec [ Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: H4 is an old halogen bulb design |
warp2diesel wrote: ...
H4 bulbs do not have the sealing rings and can let in dirt, dust and debris, I would look for bulbs that drop in and work like 9007s. Watts and candle power is what counts, shop for that. The Carello retrofit headlights I got for my Challenger had a large rubber cup/boot that sealed against the back of the headlight housing and around the three prongs of the H4 bulb. I put dielectric grease at both locations. No problems with air/water/dirt infiltration. Of course I wasn't offroading the Challenger, and the headlights only got underwater once (no water got in though). The Hella retrofit units also had a rubber boot. Perhaps those boots can be located separately if H4 units end up being used. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|