LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

HAM mounts - Amatuer Rigs
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4844
Page 1 of 2

Author:  0311_DoC [ Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:11 pm ]
Post subject:  HAM mounts - Amatuer Rigs

I would like to see where you guys mount you ham radios. I would mostly like to see stealth mounts or people with the ability to just have the faceplate mounted as a remote and the base radio mounted elsewhere.

Author:  corwyyn [ Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

My Alinco DX-70 has a remote head which I have mounted under the map lights:
Image
The body of the unit sits on the floor under the drivers seat. I don't have it bolted down or anything and haven't noticed any problems with it moving around. I probably should get it secured just to keep it from jostling when I go over big bumps...

Author:  0311_DoC [ Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

just outa curiosity, how many antanae's do you have and where are they mounted? Do you have just that 1 ham rig?

Author:  W3CSX [ Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have pretty much the same. The rig is bolted to the underside of the drivers seat. This way I don't spill something on it. zizzt..

Here's a link to a write up I did on the head unit install.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4021

And, picks of the antenna mounts.
Image

Sorry I dont have a better picture of the antenna mounts but this should help

Jason

Author:  corwyyn [ Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

0311_DoC wrote:
just outa curiosity, how many antanae's do you have and where are they mounted? Do you have just that 1 ham rig?

I have two antennas, one for each radio. The antenna for the HF rig is on a ball mount on the left front fender. The antenna for the VHF/UHF dual band radio is glass-mounted on the right rear quarter-window. The dual-band rig is mounted on the passenger side of the center console - just screwed right thru the plastic, no problems with it coming loose. I have a larger dual-band antenna that I may try to mount on the rear flip-glass once the weather warms up. I'll post pics soon.

Author:  0311_DoC [ Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ok, I also have another ? What kind of antanaes are you guys using? I have an NMO style and im not sure if i wanna saw a hole in my roof just yet. Is
there another type of mount I can get to use this antanae, to mount elsewhere?

Author:  corwyyn [ Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

If you are interested in using an NMO type without drilling you might consider something like these mounts: No-drill mounts. I have one I am going to try to set up with a dual-band antenna to replace the one on the rear quarter-glass. Just need to figure out where I want to put it.

Author:  allscan [ Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have a mount just like the first one on that link. I use it for my 2m/440 antenna, it's great on my roof rack and I can fold it down really quick for low clearance.

Author:  0311_DoC [ Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Image



I installed my 2M/440 today. not completely done yet.. Now I need to figure out if I should use double sided sticky tape or velcro to hold the face plate to the dash. And I gotta figure out my antanae options. I have an old NMO antanae from my previous vehicle, just dont know if im ready to drill into the roof yet. For some reason I havent figured out how to post multiple pics???

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2230611/1[url][url][/url]

Author:  0311_DoC [ Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

corwyyn wrote:
If you are interested in using an NMO type without drilling you might consider something like these mounts: No-drill mounts. I have one I am going to try to set up with a dual-band antenna to replace the one on the rear quarter-glass. Just need to figure out where I want to put it.


And what about non-NMO types? Im really a noob :oops: to the radio world. I guess i dont know the terminolgy on alot of this stuff.

Author:  Dkorman [ Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:18 am ]
Post subject: 

I keep my Ham in a cooler in the back of the truck. This way when i stop for lunch it is stil nice and cold. I have mounted my cooler with velcro. hope that this helps.

David in CT a Ham eater.


Sorry I had to do it..

Author:  W3CSX [ Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have more picks here of my setup.
Image
Image

You can see more picks at my Caromain site:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2213265/4

Author:  0311_DoC [ Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

W3CSX wrote:
I have more picks here of my setup.

Image

You can see more picks at my Caromain site:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2213265/4


What kind of mount and antanae is that? I take it it doesnt get in the way of the glass closeing. and how did you run the coax to that?

Author:  W3CSX [ Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

0311_DoC wrote:
What kind of mount and antanae is that? I take it it doesnt get in the way of the glass closeing. and how did you run the coax to that?


Home made mount.
I used 1.5" aluminum angle iron. Cut 3.5" long and cut down the top to a 1.5" square. Secured with a couple of heavy duty sheet metal screws. No problems with the glass just measure for the screws carefully. Too far forward and they will hit.

For the coax.
On the drivers side mount. It runs thru the boot for the wires onto the swing gate. Under the side trim and carpet to the radio. On the passenger side. I wanted to be able to unplug the vertical whip and plug in a portable yagi while camping. So I mounted a bulk head fitting thru the sheet metal next to the taillamp. This also serves as the antenna for the scanner.

Jason

Author:  W3CSX [ Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I almost forgot the antenna is a Comet SB15 tri-band. 1/4 wave 6meter, 5/8's 2meter and 70cm.

See here:
http://universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/1167.html

Author:  0311_DoC [ Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Image

Ok I finally got done with my install. Thanks guys for all your help and input. Now i just need to load some freqs for the weekend runs with all the LOST folks.

More pics at

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2230611/1

Author:  0311_DoC [ Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Frequencies ???

So what are the Freqs you all use? Id like to load them in the rig....

Author:  TNKJ [ Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here are a few shots of mine.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/469403/7

Author:  tskalil [ Fri May 19, 2006 12:53 am ]
Post subject:  Frequencies

Clint, Wally and I use 2m 146.550 simplex usually as our communication channel on runs. While in Moab, there's a local repeater, but we never got around to setting up for it; didn't have to - our radios worked fine. In one case, we were talking over 40 miles around mountains. It's generally better to use an uncrowded simplex frequency rather than competing for use on a repeater, but the repeater can be really helpful for long distances or terrain. of course.

Author:  jpzkj [ Mon May 22, 2006 1:07 am ]
Post subject: 

This mount looks like it would work on a KJ's roof rail pretty nice.

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k550.html


Would a CB antenna attach to it also ? ...are the mounting lugs/hardware similar ?
8)

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/