LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=54482
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bugnout [ Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks

I use my Motorola Droid for everything. Thought I'd start a thread to share apps, links, tips and tricks

APPS:
Google maps - free - I use this more than any other app, pretty much replaces my Garmin
Google Sky maps - free - great for night time sky gazing (11 on the coolness scale)
aCar - free - track expenses, maintenance and fuel mileage on your android device, exportable data
Evernote - free- great app for checklists, web clipping, etc. All your data is sync'd to a server for access anywhere
Weatherbug - free - great weather app
Radar Now - free - moving weather radar images based on your location.
WIFI Analyzer - free - know and troubleshoot your wireless environment in detail.
Screebl lite - free - keeps your screen from blanking when you don't want it too.

Links
http://101bestandroidapps.com/category/all/topic/all/time/all-time/

Author:  STINGN [ Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks

i got a push to talk app on it...TiKL - Touch to Talk

i also use c:geo for geocaaching :D

Author:  jeepskate [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks

Good list, Bugnout. I also like the Kindle app (lots of free or cheap reading material) and Camp Checklist (just what it sounds like).

Author:  jeepskate [ Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks

Found another cool app, called BackCountryNavigator. You can plot routes and download topo maps for the area you're interested in. So you don't need cell reception to see where you're at (the GPS will still work). You can test it on a trial basis. I didn't do much with it because I already have a bunch of money sunk into a handheld GPS and maps. But it looks really useful.

Author:  bugnout [ Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks

jeepskate wrote:
Found another cool app, called BackCountryNavigator. You can plot routes and download topo maps for the area you're interested in. So you don't need cell reception to see where you're at (the GPS will still work). You can test it on a trial basis. I didn't do much with it because I already have a bunch of money sunk into a handheld GPS and maps. But it looks really useful.

Sounds interesting. I'll download it today.

Author:  MidnightLiberty [ Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks

MY favorites are DroidLight, Lookout (antivirus/backup/phone-finder), NFL Mobile, Photobucket, Scanner Radio, Whackamole, and the WA State DOT App.

Author:  liquidxit2 [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks

Phone is a Samsung epic 4g and I literally use it for everything. When Im not sitting at my desk at work or home it literally covers all computing needs from remote access to my office, gaming, music, tv, internet surfing, etc.

These are the apps I couldnt live without:

Connectbot
terminal emulator
barnacle
androidVNC
ROM manager
Root explorer
Superuser
SLingPlayer
Colornote
beautiful widgets
batteryLife
pandora
Sprint Nav
deskhome (samsung app for dock mode)
thinkfree office
email

Apps I use but dont need:

Google Goggles
battle.net mobile
age of conquest
aim
screen shot
speed test
tapatalk
xtreme labs speedtest

Author:  bugnout [ Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Android Applications, Links, Tips and tricks

I upgraded Google Maps 5.3.1 on my Droid. New feature allows caching maps in advance so if you loose data connection/cell phone coverage, you can still see the maps. To setup the cache, go to the menu, "More" and select Cache Settings. Check "Prefetch on mobile" to enable the cache feature. You can clear the cache with "Clear map tile Cache" , but can also see the size of the cache on this menu screen.

You have to spend some time zooming in and adding the topo layer in order to ensure they will be in the cache until cleared. I spent some time to download the maps for the trip across country to Utah at a medium detail level, then I scrolled around the Moab, Canyonlands area at max zoom with TOPO layer on. My cache is now about 80mb.

Not many area's around here that don't have Verizon cell coverage, but I'm heading up to Northern Wisconsin in a couple of weeks and will verify that I can indeed see precached maps when out of cell coverage.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/