It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: help with amp/subs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:25 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 11
Location: Omaha, NE
I could use some help or ideas with what might be the problem.

the facts...
2004 KJ renegade
factory stereo with the 6 disc in dash changer.

I tapped into the two sets of rear speaker output wires to run to the amp just off the head unit.

I installed a hi lo similar to this to convert the signal to a pre amp level (mine is not adjustable)
http://www.skyinternational.com.cn/deta ... proid=2111

from the Hi Lo converter, I ran RCAs to the amp inputs.

from the amp I ran a left and right to each of two 12" subs..

the problem...
my subs sound "dead", not quite the punch that I was expecting..
then, I accidentally hit the balance knob on the HU. what the??....I have found that with the balance to the left or right, it sounds way better, but as soon as you center it again...back to that "dead" sound...

I tried changing from parallel to a bridge mono wiring to the subs...no help...



.
anybody have any ideas?

a couple of things that come to mind..
first, a grounding issue (it has been a few months since I installed this, but I just found out about the balance issue) I'm 99% sure that I followed the diagram correctly for the factory outputs...should they be a common ground???

second, I am thinking that I read somewhere that there might be factory amps in the doors???? are the line outs of the factory head unit already at a preamp level??? did my putting the Hi Lo converter inline lower the level too much???

third, this amp has a lot of adjustments...maybe I just can't get it in the proper adjustment...I don't think that is the case because it does sound good when balanced left or right, but I wouldn't mind some pointers on adjusting that also..I am used to amps that pretty much just have a gain control..

any ideas would be appreciated..I am far from a car audio guru, but I have done a few basic installs and I have never ran into anything like this..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: help with amp/subs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 11
Location: Omaha, NE
BTW, I have a PPI4240

http://www.precisionpower.com/Manuals/A ... ifiers.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: help with amp/subs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 11
Location: Omaha, NE
issue solved...

my stupid self had a phasing issue cause by a pair of wires being reversed...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com