LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

different alternater?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=55106
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ARkjfan [ Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:24 pm ]
Post subject:  different alternater?

I have plans of running a minimum of 4 (but possibly up to 8) fog/driving lights. My question is.... do i need to get a different or larger alternater? I just have a stock kj sport. Thanks for any help.

Author:  JL Rockies [ Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: different alternater?

ARkjfan wrote:
I have plans of running a minimum of 4 (but possibly up to 8) fog/driving lights. My question is.... do i need to get a different or larger alternater? I just have a stock kj sport. Thanks for any help.



Since the voltage regulators in most current vehicles are computer controlled, there's really not much to be gained by a larger alternator.... most of which lie about real-world output anyway.

I'm not sure under which circumstances you'll be using 8) lights all at once but you'll be fine as long as you're not running hi-beams, rear window defrost, 1K Watt stereo and a winch all at the same time. The more "stuff" you add to the charging system just makes the share for each thing smaller. The Batt will act as a reserve but quickly will become an additional thing the alternator has to supply.

You may find that the light output of 4 lights is equal to 8) lights due a limited voltage to go around but nothing will break because of it.

Author:  ARkjfan [ Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: different alternater?

Awesome! Thats exactly what i was needing to know. Thank you

Author:  JL Rockies [ Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: different alternater?

Let us know how it all works out.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/