| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Bad Electrical Draw....Bad Design. Need Help. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=55415 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | mschramek [ Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | Bad Electrical Draw....Bad Design. Need Help. |
So I had a dead battery the other day. (Battery less than 2 years old). Alternator tested good. Found out I have a 300 mA draw on the battery. Traced it back to two spots ....the Cigar lighter and the #34 fuse (Runs BCM/cluster/interior lights/etc). I know I have two problems here but the one I wanted to point out was the cigar lighter one. About two years ago I picked up a Mopar tow harness for my jeep. Just snap on the harness to the factory harness type setup. Then you run a wire to the battery and connect another harness up to the Cigar lighter. So heres what I found and need help with. Im getting a 170 mA draw with jeep off from this Circuit. Found out that the Trailer harness has about 5 or 6 relays in it. The wire that connects with the cigar lighter trips a relay that powers the relay that trips power to the trailer hitch. PROBLEM: The cigar lighter is always on. So the relay is always on. Battery------#3 fuse------cigar lighter------75 ohm resistor (in relay)----ground. Anybody else know about this problem? I guess I could just add a switch near the back to solve this. But this was a poor design....I wonder if they made the mistake of thinking the cigar lighter was switched on with ignition. Now I just have to figure out what is giving me the draw off of the number 34 fuse. Any body else have an issue like mine with either a draw from 34 fuse ....or the trailer tow harness? |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Bad Electrical Draw....Bad Design. Need Help. |
There's been more than one other person that has experienced a similar issue from what i can remember the end result of their issue was that it was the trailer harness directly causing it pretty sure they intentionally made the "cigar lighter" on all the time intentionally since that's what consumers had been asking for across the board for well over two decades, that, and it's not a cigar lighter it's a power port to charge phones / ipods / gps etc while the vehicle is off, dont you know we aren't allowed to smoke? haha Fella's dad got his truck stolen on here not long ago because he had to turn his vehicle on to charge his phone, some kid on a bicycle upgraded |
|
| Author: | bewestro [ Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Bad Electrical Draw....Bad Design. Need Help. |
I had this, or something very similar. If I didn't drive it every day the battery would go dead, and even overnight it was sketchy if it was cold out. It was fixed under warranty, well, back when it was under warranty, so I never knew the intricate details of the operation. I remember they told me something about one of the relays being like a rheostat, as in it is supposed to sort of glide the power down and off, but they tend to get stuck and not go all the way "off". They said they replaced it with a straightforward on/off type relay, and it's been fine ever since, over a year now. This probably leaves more questions than answers, but the end result was acceptable and I didn't have to pay anything, so I didn't really question it at the time. However, since it's been over a month since you posted, I hope your problem has been resolved by now! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|