LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

HELP - rear hatch opened by itself
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=55437
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jiberty [ Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 am ]
Post subject:  HELP - rear hatch opened by itself

Okay everybody, I need some help! I have been trying to track down an electrical issue my 05 Liberty Renegade is having. After leaving my Liberty sit for a few days, the battery dies. Thinking it might be a problem with the alternator, after charging the battery, I disconnected the alternator and let it sit for a week. The battery did not die this time so I replaced the alternator and figured I had the problem solved. The next time I needed to take the Jeep out (this time after it sat for about 5 days), the battery was dead again. After jumping it and running it to full charge again, I pulled it into my garage to do some maintenance. While I was working on it (about half an hour after running it), the door locks locked and unlocked, the rear hatch unlocked and opened and it honked. WTF!?! That prompted me to name my Jeep Herbie the Hate Jeep. :furious:

Throughout this process, I have metered every fuse in the engine compartment fuse panel and the interior fuse panel. The only fuse that seemed to be a possible problem was #15 in the engine compartment labeled JB Power (no idea what it controls other than the power windows and sunroof). I removed that fuse and let the Jeep sit for about a week while I monitored the voltage on the battery. The battery dropped from 12.4 volts to 9.5 volts over the course of the week. This made me think that that fuse might not be the problem (by the way, I replaced the battery last year because I thought I had a bad battery). I have the battery completely disconnected to see if it loses voltage by itself.

So what's the deal? Any ideas what the electrical problem might be? Has anybody else had similar problems?

Author:  ridenby [ Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HELP - rear hatch opened by itself

Betting on the battery being bad.

Author:  jmichaelsjeep [ Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HELP - rear hatch opened by itself

x3 it sounds like the battery.

However, I had a similiar issue (as far as the rear gate opening by itself) and it was actually a corrosion issue with the rear latch assembly. It was replaced last year and has been good to go since. And I'm on my original battery after 7 years and 135K!

It is also possible that if your battery is only a year old and assuming you bought a quality battery to begin with, that you may be able to get it replaced at no cost under warranty if you still have the receipt.

Author:  Xodius [ Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HELP - rear hatch opened by itself

x4 battery. I had darn near the exact same issues with mine. Shortly after that I had it blow it's top. Not fun but it did wake up the neighbors, lol. Acid EVERYWHERE! Stay safe and swap that batt out.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/