| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Speaker question / opinion. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56126 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | scull20 [ Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | Speaker question / opinion. |
Hello everyone, been a while since I've posted...but I know this is right place to come when I have a question because everyone has always been so helpful in the past. Anyways, it seems as though I have been plagued with the dreaded Infinity speaker foam separation. I plan on perhaps doing a slight makeshift DiY fix for the time being, but I plan on getting some replacements in the near future. I'm not entirely versed in the ways of wiring and whatnot so please bear with me. I have the premium sound with the "built-in" amps on the speakers. When I replace these speakers I plan on reusing the amps with the new speakers as was done in this thread: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread. ... or+Speaker That being said, I know there was some sort of stipulation as far as the resistance ratings of the speakers and amp, but I'm not 100% sure as to what it was. Also, I've been seeing speaker kits with this "crossover" thing. Could anyone perhaps provide some insight as to what that does, and how I go about wiring it? Finally, I like these speakers...will they work: a.) at all, b.) with the stock amps, and c.) are those built in cross-over things just like the normal exposed wire terminals on the back of "plain-jane" speakers? http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_8454 ... ?aff=72182 Thanks in advance! -Ryan |
|
| Author: | TheJawsOfDeath [ Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Speaker question / opinion. |
My first question is do you plan on retaining the stock radio or will you install an aftermarket head unit? The infinity system should consist of six speakers: four full range speakers, one in each door, and two tweeters in the dashboard. Where it gets complicated is that the onboard amplifiers may have built-in crossovers. A cross over is designed to filter the raw signal into a range of frequencies that are suitable for each type of speaker. This is so your full range/woofers arent getting a lot of highs, and your tweeters arent trying to play bass notes. The speakers you posted have an onboard crossover, as they have a woofer and two tweeters. If in fact the factory amps have built in crossovers, those tweeters are going to be doing little to nothing, as they wont be getting the highs from the amp, period. You also have to be aware of what the resistance of the factory speakers are. The infinity kappas you are looking at only have a two ohm impedance, which is pretty low. Probably lower than the factory units. You can safely go higher in resistance than an amp is rated for, the only downside is it will be putting out less power. Going lower than it's capable of will quickly burn it out. So to answer your questions, they MAY work with the stock amps depending on what the resistance of the stock speakers is and what the amps are rated for. The built in crossovers on speakers require no special wiring or setting up, you just have the (+) and (-) terminals. Here's an idea for you, if you're open to ditching the stock amplifiers. Get an alpine head unit, the alpine KTP-455 power pack, and these pioneer speakers. Deckhttp://www.crutchfield.com/s_500CDA105/Alpine-CDA-105.html?tp=5684 Power Packhttp://www.crutchfield.com/S-zhIQj6ETZ7u/p_500KTP445/Alpine-KTP-445-Power-Pack.html Fronthttp://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12224_Pioneer+TS-D1720C.html Rearhttp://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22430_Pioneer+TS-D1702R.html This will sound AWESOME. The power pack is a mini 4 channel amp that plugs into the alpine deck. Puts out 45x4 rms. Thats constant power, not peak. Peak is more like 100w. It gets its power from your stereo power wire, the 15 amp fuse on there is plenty. The deck would put out 50x4, but that's PEAK wattage. RMS power is more like 15-20 per channel. That will nicely power all four of the pioneer speakers. The ones i linked to are normally over 200 for the front 2 alone so its a very good deal. Ive had nothing but aweome luck with Pioneer. This would give you much better sound quality. |
|
| Author: | scull20 [ Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Speaker question / opinion. |
Thank you for the response. The impedance details are more clear to me now. Money is a bit tight on my end currently and I think I would rather just opt for purchasing new front speakers rather than a whole new system. That being said, here is a different set of speakers that I found with a higher impedance of 4 ohms. Will these be compatible with the stock amps? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136TR600CX ... html?tp=95 Thank you again for all of the help! -Ryan P.S. I updated my original post with the link to the post that has pics of an alternative place to mount the amps. |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Speaker question / opinion. |
Most aftermarket multi channel amps are optimized for 2 ohm operation and most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. I have the JL Audio 500/5 which produces full power no matter the impedance or voltage. Your stock amps are optimized for 2 ohm so if you were to add an aftermarket 4 ohm speaker, the amp's average output will be reduced 50% which will means average audio output will be reduced by 3dB which is the minimum difference humans can detect with music. Go ahead and try it. If you're not going to put something good in just put whatever is cheapest since they're all basically the same; ie Sony, Alpine, Pioneer etc is all the same stuff with different cosmetics. |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Speaker question / opinion. |
My drivers door speaker is bad also. The base notes vibrate something terrible. Terry |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|